The all things EV chat thread

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Not really possible if the car doesn't have an inbuilt SIM card ie if it doesn't have an app.

Wouldn’t take much for it to be a requirement and modern technology more than capable of overcoming issues - I’m sure the EV owner will have a sim in a smart phone that can be plugged into their car if required

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn’t take much for it to be a requirement and modern technology more than capable of overcoming issues - I’m sure the EV owner will have a sim in a smart phone that can be plugged into their car if required

Then the owner will simply not plug in their phone.

Same if they try and charge by kWh going through ev chargers (which with modern ones they could) there are 1000s out there that don't record so could be used forever

Same with 3 pin chargers. More owners would simply charge via the plug.

stevied

Visit site
I've no doubt it could be done , but it would be very expensive. It's easy to say use and app etc but it will require complex infra to back it up and also make it tamper proof.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I've no doubt it could be done , but it would be very expensive. It's easy to say use and app etc but it will require complex infra to back it up and also make it tamper proof.

They will come up with something to fill a big gap in the tax gap - and it will be tax by mile etc and yes it may cost more but it’s not going to be cheap to fund the infrastructure to get to a level where owning an EV is as “easy” as owning an ICE car

stevied

Visit site
They will come up with something to fill a big gap in the tax gap - and it will be tax by mile etc and yes it may cost more but it’s not going to be cheap to fund the infrastructure to get to a level where owning an EV is as “easy” as owning an ICE car
What do you mean as easy? My experience so far is that running an EV is easier than my old ice car.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
What do you mean as easy? My experience so far is that running an EV is easier than my old ice car.

That’s not the experience for everyone though

There are still many obstacles for people that stop them owning an EV

Cost
Ease of charging

Being two key areas

People that don’t have off road parking
People that live in communal apartments

Quick charging that can be done in minutes

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Once people switch their mind from "run the car until the light comes on" to "little and often" charges (IE at night plug in.. do your day return home plug in again) it becomes a breeze your right.

stevied

Visit site
That’s not the experience for everyone though

There are still many obstacles for people that stop them owning an EV

Cost
Ease of charging

Being two key areas

People that don’t have off road parking
People that live in communal apartments

Quick charging that can be done in minutes
The only real issue is not being able to charge at home. Some crazy deals these days on EVs. I don't care who does or doesn't drive an EV, but the utter nonsense I see being wheeled out time and time again has to be addressed when I see it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The only real issue is not being able to charge at home. Some crazy deals these days on EVs. I don't care who does or doesn't drive an EV, but the utter nonsense I see being wheeled out time and time again has to be addressed when I see it.

If people can’t charge at home then the charging network around the country needs to improve massively and be at appropriate cost -

People will want life to be as easy as possible and owning an ICE car for everyone is easier and on the whole cheaper

It will stop people owning them until the balance is there to actually make it worthwhile for everyone to own one

I think the deadline for ICE cars will just keep getting extended

stevied

Visit site
If people can’t charge at home then the charging network around the country needs to improve massively and be at appropriate cost -

People will want life to be as easy as possible and owning an ICE car for everyone is easier and on the whole cheaper

It will stop people owning them until the balance is there to actually make it worthwhile for everyone to own one

I think the deadline for ICE cars will just keep getting extended
Have you used the charging network much?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You haven't used it but somehow know it needs to improve at massive cost? It seems more like you know very little on the subject to be honest.

So you think the charging network is good enough now - no need to improve it ?

Is there enough charging stations to make it as easy to charge an EV car than it does to fill up an ICE car

Can someone go to a charging station , fill up to the top and be out in 5 mins ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You haven't used it but somehow know it needs to improve at massive cost? It seems more like you know very little on the subject to be honest.

There is ZERO point discussing with Phil. He will just drone on and on with "facts" and articles he has pulled from twitter (x) on subjects he has zero knowledge and understanding.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you think the charging network is good enough now - no need to improve it ?

Is there enough charging stations to make it as easy to charge an EV car than it does to fill up an ICE car

Can someone go to a charging station , fill up to the top and be out in 5 mins ?
.............................. and then not have to worry for a few hundred miles.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
.............................. and then not have to worry for a few hundred miles.

It will become easier over the years but it’s not there yet for “everyone” - which is the point the evangelists miss , what suits and works for them may not work for everyone.

If they government want to see everyone own an EV car at some point then it’s got to get to a point where owning one is the same level of ease as it is for an ICE car for everyone

And it’s not there - it’s why fortunes are being spent to improve the charging networks

3 jabber

Visit site
Wouldn't worry too much about battery damage.

We put a Tesla Model S with an astounding 430,000 miles on the clock to the test to find out.
The battery’s lasted pretty well too, having only experienced about 65 miles of range degradation. Paul credits this to consistent use and careful charging habits. He primarily uses supercharging during the day and tops up with home charging at night. This frequent supercharging to 100 percent hasn’t significantly damaged the battery
Thank you, I knew you would search high and low on Google to find the one example that is different to every other study. Batteries degrade, that is a fact.

I can't wait for your next comeback.