The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you, I knew you would search high and low on Google to find the one example that is different to every other study. Batteries degrade, that is a fact.

I can't wait for your next comeback.

Thank you for the reply. Your input on this thread is always so knowledgeable and well thought out.

I do apologise if I use my 4 years of experience in actually owning multiple
EVs to try and help people who are thinking of switching.

I'm not quite sure where you get your information from as it seems very outdated and full of misinformation

But here is another study

Direct you here to the quote

"One of the biggest concerns with fast charging is that it can damage the electric vehicle's battery, resulting in a significant loss of vehicle range. So, is DC fast charging bad for the battery? The short answer is no, not really. Fast charging has little impact on battery capacity, battery health, or long-term loss of vehicle range.

Several studies have been conducted to look for a potential link between fast charging and battery degradation. However, each study shows minimal overall impact on battery degradation."

Now I'm sure you can find plenty of other actual research that says the same

Or you could rather than be rude about somebody trying to be help be grateful that someone is willing to help you for free with useful information for no cost.

But hey you know best.

3 jabber

Visit site
Thank you for the reply. Your input on this thread is always so knowledgeable and well thought out.

I do apologise if I use my 4 years of experience in actually owning multiple
EVs to try and help people who are thinking of switching.

I'm not quite sure where you get your information from as it seems very outdated and full of misinformation

But here is another study

Direct you here to the quote

"One of the biggest concerns with fast charging is that it can damage the electric vehicle's battery, resulting in a significant loss of vehicle range. So, is DC fast charging bad for the battery? The short answer is no, not really. Fast charging has little impact on battery capacity, battery health, or long-term loss of vehicle range.

Several studies have been conducted to look for a potential link between fast charging and battery degradation. However, each study shows minimal overall impact on battery degradation."

Now I'm sure you can find plenty of other actual research that says the same

Or you could rather than be rude about somebody trying to be help be grateful that someone is willing to help you for free with useful information for no cost.

But hey you know best.

The EVangelist speaks. All the studies I've read are wrong. Thanks for trying to educate me but I'll ignore your advice and do my own research thanks.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The EVangelist speaks. All the studies I've read are wrong. Thanks for trying to educate me but I'll ignore your advice and do my own research thanks.

I've posted 3 studies that are well regarded and actually updated on real world in field results from cars out there now rather than lab tests

The theory behind batteries lead to the assumption that they would degrade faster

It's proven to be much less than thought (0.1% as per that study above) so the information has been updated

If you want to base your research on outdated information feel free

stevied

Visit site
So you think the charging network is good enough now - no need to improve it ?

Is there enough charging stations to make it as easy to charge an EV car than it does to fill up an ICE car

Can someone go to a charging station , fill up to the top and be out in 5 mins ?

I don't need to go to a charging station, I have my own. I also would never drive longer than the range of my car without a break and it can re charge quicker than I can so it's irrelevant on long journeys. There are plenty of chargers and more coming on line. The biggest issue with public charging is the cost, companies seems to think it's ok to fleece everyone with some asking 80+ pence per kwh.
Let's get away from this 5 mins to fill up nonsense as well. Previously I filled up with 99ron at the same garage every time. It's a 24 min round trip with say 5 to 10 mins to fuel depending on queues.
Now I just plug in on my drive. I know which I prefer.
If someone was asking me whether to make the jump, then if they have a drive to park and charge then it's 100% yes.

stevied

Visit site
I've posted 3 studies that are well regarded and actually updated on real world in field results from cars out there now rather than lab tests

The theory behind batteries lead to the assumption that they would degrade faster

It's proven to be much less than thought (0.1% as per that study above) so the information has been updated

If you want to base your research on outdated information feel free
Theres a Tesla with 430k on the clock. Owner says he's probs done 50/50 split with super charging and home. It's still going strong with the same battery.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Theres a Tesla with 430k on the clock. Owner says he's probs done 50/50 split with super charging and home. It's still going strong with the same battery.

That was the first study a few pages back I posted. Auto trader picked up on it and tested the battery. It's driven ridiculously far. Been used as an airport taxi I believe it was? Outstanding stuff

Plenty out there doing the same

It's peoples choice to want to avoid a car that's done DC charging however it's really a non issue. Just will take longer to find one

stevied

Visit site
That was the first study a few pages back I posted. Auto trader picked up on it and tested the battery. It's driven ridiculously far. Been used as an airport taxi I believe it was? Outstanding stuff

Plenty out there doing the same

It's peoples choice to want to avoid a car that's done DC charging however it's really a non issue. Just will take longer to find one
Yeah I watched it the series , was interesting and they put it up against the Ipace.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I don't need to go to a charging station, I have my own. I also would never drive longer than the range of my car without a break and it can re charge quicker than I can so it's irrelevant on long journeys. There are plenty of chargers and more coming on line. The biggest issue with public charging is the cost, companies seems to think it's ok to fleece everyone with some asking 80+ pence per kwh.
Let's get away from this 5 mins to fill up nonsense as well. Previously I filled up with 99ron at the same garage every time. It's a 24 min round trip with say 5 to 10 mins to fuel depending on queues.
Now I just plug in on my drive. I know which I prefer.
If someone was asking me whether to make the jump, then if they have a drive to park and charge then it's 100% yes.
What if someone can’t charge at home 🤷‍♂️

This is the point that’s been missed , what works for you doesn’t work for “everyone”

You are judging everyone from your situation

My nearest garage is 2 mins , so I’m in and out and full in 5/10 mins - it’s not nonsense when an ice car can go from near empty to full in 5 mins

When the ease of owning an EV car is the same for “everyone” than it’s attractive

A lot of work and a lot of money needs to be spent to get the public charging network up to a level that can support the numbers and the ease and yes that will include someone pulling in and filling up within 5/10 mins

stevied

Visit site
Oh evangelist... I thought you just got the caps button stuck, but it's supposed to be funny. Id say a BEV with high mileage has probably seen a lot of rapid charging, but now we are seeing batteries that have had a lot of use and well beyond the warranty limit , it's quite clear that they will last beyond the useful life of the car most likely, and with nowhere near the deterioration that people think.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh evangelist... I thought you just got the caps button stuck, but it's supposed to be funny. Id say a BEV with high mileage has probably seen a lot of rapid charging, but now we are seeing batteries that have had a lot of use and well beyond the warranty limit , it's quite clear that they will last beyond the useful life of the car most likely, and with nowhere near the deterioration that people think.

Think what will help is with this new information hitting manufacturers is being able to then offer say 15 year warranties on their batteries instead of 8

Because for some reason people get it stuck in their heads soon as the warranty goes it means the battery is going to fail

How many car engines fail completely after the standard 3 year warranty?

My house battery has 10 year warranty on it but I expect it to last at least double that before needing updating, My solar panels have 25 year warranty but the tech has been around a lot longer so the companies are happier to offer longer warranties.

Leftitshort

Visit site
The truth about EVs is somewhere between the two extremes cited on here. The public charging network is a real mixed bag. There is availability in towns, outside not so much. There is an issue with broken chargers or chargers being occupied past a full charge. The price of public charging is ridiculous especially vs a like for like in France. I can’t comment on battery longevity re DC charging but they do generate a load of heat and really slow down past 80%. Final point on DC charging, like broadband, you never get the published speed, c70% of the supposed speed is realistic.

However, having had a couple of EVs over the last 2 years, I wouldn’t go back to ice or phev through choice. EVs drive better imo, they are more comfortable & the instant power is awesome. However the main attraction for me is the 2% BIK. If this were to drastically increase my EV evangelicalism would evaporate!!

stevied

Visit site
What if someone can’t charge at home 🤷‍♂️

This is the point that’s been missed , what works for you doesn’t work for “everyone”

You are judging everyone from your situation

My nearest garage is 2 mins , so I’m in and out and full in 5/10 mins - it’s not nonsense when an ice car can go from near empty to full in 5 mins

When the ease of owning an EV car is the same for “everyone” than it’s attractive

A lot of work and a lot of money needs to be spent to get the public charging network up to a level that can support the numbers and the ease and yes that will include someone pulling in and filling up within 5/10 mins
To be honest mate I really don't know what you are trying to say. You seem to just be stuck on repeat saying same old tired stuff. Would it help if I typed in upper case?

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHARGE AT HOME THEN AT THE PRESENT TIME A BEV IS PROBABLY NOT FOR YOU. THIS TO BE FAIR IS MOSTLY DOWN TO COST AS YOU WONT SAVE ANYWHERE NEAR AS MUCH AS HOME CHARGING.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
To be honest mate I really don't know what you are trying to say. You seem to just be stuck on repeat saying same old tired stuff. Would it help if I typed in upper case?

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHARGE AT HOME THEN AT THE PRESENT TIME A BEV IS PROBABLY NOT FOR YOU. THIS TO BE FAIR IS MOSTLY DOWN TO COST AS YOU WONT SAVE ANYWHERE NEAR AS MUCH AS HOME CHARGING.
WHICH WAS THE POINT BEING MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

stevied

Visit site
The truth about EVs is somewhere between the two extremes cited on here. The public charging network is a real mixed bag. There is availability in towns, outside not so much. There is an issue with broken chargers or chargers being occupied past a full charge. The price of public charging is ridiculous especially vs a like for like in France. I can’t comment on battery longevity re DC charging but they do generate a load of heat and really slow down past 80%. Final point on DC charging, like broadband, you never get the published speed, c70% of the supposed speed is realistic.

However, having had a couple of EVs over the last 2 years, I wouldn’t go back to ice or phev through choice. EVs drive better imo, they are more comfortable & the instant power is awesome. However the main attraction for me is the 2% BIK. If this were to drastically increase my EV evangelicalism would evaporate!!
I've not used the public network much and when I have it's been open Tesla chargers. It's nice as Tesla owners seemed surprised to see a jaaaaaaaag using their spots. They are opening more and more as well.
Id agree on the drive. I have 400bhp and it's just bosh off we go. Id never say never but I'd be amazed if I ever went back to a petrol or diesel. The driving experience is so much better in an EV and this is coming from a high performance BMW

And bear in mind I drive a 2 ton SUV , it's pretty funny when a boy racer thinks they can sneak past me at the lights 😂😂

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
There is ZERO point discussing with Phil. He will just drone on and on with "facts" and articles he has pulled from twitter (x) on subjects he has zero knowledge and understanding.
Thank you for your point Phillip we look forward to seeing it rinsed and repeated again in a months time when you are next bored.

Ta

Do you ever wonder why people react towards you in the way they do ?

I haven’t once posted anything personal yet you do it constantly in this thread towards other posters who share a different view