The all things EV chat thread

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Name another car on this thread that costs over 40p per mile to run, only has 2 seats and costs over £400,000 second hand.
If you want to start an anti EV thread, please feel free.

this was not an anti EV comment - it shows what is available in desirable terms in non EV - similar will happen in EV. When discussing EV, ICE is part of the story and journey. I am not anti-EV but i do love cars so i am fine with what was posted - and if EVs can get half the emotion that car nuts get from the Ferrari it will show great progress.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched a youtube video today, found out about the Tesla app and how it shows the lifetime charging stats and battery health. Such a cool thing, DC charging isn't good for battery life, AC charging does much less damage. This is a game changer for me, going to start looking at Teslas even though I'm not keen on the interiors. Just need to find one that has been mainly charged at home.

Wouldn't worry too much about battery damage.

We put a Tesla Model S with an astounding 430,000 miles on the clock to the test to find out.
The battery’s lasted pretty well too, having only experienced about 65 miles of range degradation. Paul credits this to consistent use and careful charging habits. He primarily uses supercharging during the day and tops up with home charging at night. This frequent supercharging to 100 percent hasn’t significantly damaged the battery

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No one is saying they are too heavy for the roads, but they are heavier than the ICE requivalent in general and we all know that heavier vehicles do over time cause more damage to the road surfaces.
Have you never seen the depressions in main roads where lorries run all the time for example?

All suvs are heavier than smaller cars that came before. A fiat 500 EV will do far less damage than a land rover ice car. Neither of which will do much damage at all.

Lorries weight is incomparable to that of EVs as it pales in comparison.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All suvs are heavier than smaller cars that came before. A fiat 500 EV will do far less damage than a land rover ice car. Neither of which will do much damage at all.

Lorries weight is incomparable to that of EVs as it pales in comparison.
I get you're the evangelist for EV's, thats fine.Next you're be telling me an artic is heavier than a Ford Fiesta.
Comparing the same cars power supply to power supply, EV variants are heavier, and since there has been discussion on what next for the taxing of vehicles, weight and how it's taxed comes into the conversation.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get you're the evangelist for EV's, thats fine.Next you're be telling me an artic is heavier than a Ford Fiesta.
Comparing the same cars power supply to power supply, EV variants are heavier, and since there has been discussion on what next for the taxing of vehicles, weight and how it's taxed comes into the conversation.

Tax will be pay by mile. There's enough noise about it in the press to prepare us for it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see why, the infrastructure for collection of revenue is already in place, tried and tested.

It's pretty simply. Pay by mile will come in. Favouring green use but keeping the tax on ice because we are aiming for net zero.

The increase tax from EV will offset the loss of tax from ice as people move as it will be like for like

But can still be sold as "look EV will save you money"

They will tax Ice to death

The last new car may be sold in 2030 when it's brought back forward but the fuel tax will drive more people to the new "cheaper" solution to pay what they were before.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
The level of tax for ICE will still be there plus any sort of millage tax as well - they have to find a way to move more to EV or Hybrid

They are trying to find the false net zero
I thought there was already a pay per mile scheme in place for ICE vehicles, it’s called Fuel Duty. (And VAT).

The more you drive the more you pay. Simple’s.

stevied

Visit site
I bought an EV because I liked the car, it's fast , cheap to run. As for the whole weight thing, it's a 2.2 ton SUV, nothing out of the ordinary in comparison to diesel SUVs.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not in terms of cost, thats one of the attractions of EVs. A full tank as it were is about £7 for me. But we do pay tax, just not a lot. Road tax of 195 I think from April.

Which will balance off a lot of ice cars that are taxed lower because of being stuck on outdated rates that won't move.

stevied

Visit site
Which will balance off a lot of ice cars that are taxed lower because of being stuck on outdated rates that won't move.
Yes we have a diesel that's rated zero tax 😂 absolutely bonkers but there you go. I'll be retaxing in march to get one more year for free.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not in terms of cost, thats one of the attractions of EVs. A full tank as it were is about £7 for me. But we do pay tax, just not a lot. Road tax of 195 I think from April.
Very relevant 😁
My point was that there is already a pay per mile tax on ICE vehicles.

You may have missed my edit:
“Then the price of the fuel AND the Fuel duty is subject to VAT then a further 10.59p for VAT at 20 per cent on fuel duty”