The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In simple terms the the new rate of VED will apply to all electric vehicles from April 2025 regardless of when the were first registered

It says backdated but the important point is actually understanding what that means in terms of the legislation-

If a car was previously taxed at zero cost (exempt) it will no longer be so.

Using low emission ICE cars as an example if the VED was £30 when new when the new rate of VED moved to the higher level it did not apply to an old car so they carry on paying £30.

It is easy to miss the information though as they try to make it clear as mud..when I got the niro the sales people weren't sure themselves, considering they were selling the car you would expect them to know tbh so why would people who don't drive EVs to know.

They also were rattling off that octopus intelligent would work with ev6 to someone else.. when it won't because it hadn't for a year .. so the dealers need to keep their information levels up for the products they sell

But then that's life across the board now days. For example I had an issue when insuring the car (they couldn't find on their system as had just been registered) anyways one guy was "tough that's that" the lady I got on the second call spent 2 hours on the phone with me going back and forth to the underwriters understanding the issue rather than just "computer says no" response of the guy before

(For context the provider didn't have the niro 22 model ,it's a 24 plate, in the 4 trim level, only the 2 trim so they refused to insure as the 4 didn't exist according to them. Even when I found a second hand one on auto trader with a number plate the lady said the system wasn't finding it, long and short they insured as a 4 from the previous model with a big note on the file "this is 24 model")

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
For all you worried about long trips, I came across these people on YouTube right now
They taking Niro to France, showing their ‘troubles’.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do find the new VED rules to be a bit ridiculous. They actively encourage older higher polluting vehicles as they are intending to up the charge in significantly. The expensive car tariff needs to be moved as the £ was de-valued, as well.
So I think EVs should be making some contribution but not the figures we are seeing here the 5 yr rule is greedy on all levels and deters the purchase of cleaner vehicles.
Generally the wrong message .. I wonder if some one who isn’t a thick plonker will intervene and come up with a sensible policy of taxing high cost charge points ( being utilised by high mileage road users mainly and business fleets ) . I would tax people like Alan Sugar who has advocated “bums on seats” at source for having Offices in major conurbations that cannot be justified but impact transportation infrastructure.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We have always had a mechanism that taxes cars based on how much pollution they generate: fuel duty. Burn more fuel, pay more tax. Seems completely sensible. For EVs, just add "fuel duty" based on the number of kWh you put into them. Presumably EVs do record this data?

To impose extra tax just because your car is expensive is simply the politics of envy. What other justification is there? Fortunately for me I've never owned, nor ever likely to own, a high value car that attracts the "luxury" VED surcharge. But that doesn't alter my belief that it's unjustifiable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do find the new VED rules to be a bit ridiculous. They actively encourage older higher polluting vehicles as they are intending to up the charge in significantly. The expensive car tariff needs to be moved as the £ was de-valued, as well.
So I think EVs should be making some contribution but not the figures we are seeing here the 5 yr rule is greedy on all levels and deters the purchase of cleaner vehicles.
Generally the wrong message .. I wonder if some one who isn’t a thick plonker will intervene and come up with a sensible policy of taxing high cost charge points ( being utilised by high mileage road users mainly and business fleets ) . I would tax people like Alan Sugar who has advocated “bums on seats” at source for having Offices in major conurbations that cannot be justified but impact transportation infrastructure.

40k for a car isn't luxurious these days. Add a few options and a lot of cars reach it from the lesser brands

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have always had a mechanism that taxes cars based on how much pollution they generate: fuel duty. Burn more fuel, pay more tax. Seems completely sensible. For EVs, just add "fuel duty" based on the number of kWh you put into them. Presumably EVs do record this data?

To impose extra tax just because your car is expensive is simply the politics of envy. What other justification is there? Fortunately for me I've never owned, nor ever likely to own, a high value car that attracts the "luxury" VED surcharge. But that doesn't alter my belief that it's unjustifiable.

All new home chargers have to be able to record how much kWh goes through them

However 3 pin chargers don't and neither do old chargers, you then would have people just using 3
pin chargers to avoid tax as not all EVs record the information

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Might I suggest it hasn’t always been based on emissions. Previously it was just “road tax” and perhaps it’s time to return to calling it that. We have all hit potholes and complain (rightly) about them, but all vehicles contribute to their making, not just ICE vehicles. Something has to pay for their repair.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
40k for a car isn't luxurious these days. Add a few options and a lot of cars reach it from the lesser brands
Exactly, but brutal honesty of it is that there is a healthy profit margin as well. I remember being told Range Rover cost JLR £39k and they were selling at £120k .. not all cars have this margin especially the small ones but they are worthwhile to produce

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might I suggest it hasn’t always been based on emissions. Previously it was just “road tax” and perhaps it’s time to return to calling it that. We have all hit potholes and complain (rightly) about them, but all vehicles contribute to their making, not just ICE vehicles. Something has to pay for their repair.
Exactly and perhaps weight classes should be used with an emissions addition on top .. so yes your EV will be charged and they are usually higher in the weight classification but lower in the emissions..
We do have the brake / tyre particles to consider but that’s whole vehicle and should be conducted as a std WLTP cycle at curb +2 and Curb +4.
The mileage element on EV can be broken into a simple calculation of everyone is entitled to x kW based on an efficiency of say 2.8miles/kw and first 8000miles are free there after your bill increases in bands ..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The last time it was road tax was 1936 so thats a long time ago.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I get you’re probably too young to have changed you tax disc in the car, but whether it was for a road fund license, it was known as a tax disc, and everyone knew what people meant by car tax.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I get you’re probably too young to have changed you tax disc in the car, but whether it was for a road fund license, it was known as a tax disc, and everyone knew what people meant by car tax.

Not at all. Tax discs were 2014 ending so I had been driving 11 years with a "tax disc" however they haven't been road tax since 1936 just incorrectly referred to as road tax by people since then.

I remember changing my vehicle excess duty disc every year.

Road repairs come for general taxation

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I need to keep away from Facebook. Can’t find that offer on the MG page, though.

Attachments

• IMG_3894.jpeg
    IMG_3894.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 6

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is one of the things that should really grate with every one.
When road tax was introduced it was to be used to pay for the upkeep of the roads.