The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1725604491604.png

Quite an interesting visual aid as to how far 100kw of production of energy will get you in distance (in km) for 4 cars. 2 electric and 2 hydrogen

Whilst hydrogen is brilliant to refill speed wise you can see why electric has been pushed as it is the more efficient use of energy

Similar visuals been done before with fossil fuel power I'd have to find it but it was similar, apart from walking / cycling electric is the most efficient form of personal transport

3 jabber

Visit site
View attachment 54898

Quite an interesting visual aid as to how far 100kw of production of energy will get you in distance (in km) for 4 cars. 2 electric and 2 hydrogen

Whilst hydrogen is brilliant to refill speed wise you can see why electric has been pushed as it is the more efficient use of energy

Similar visuals been done before with fossil fuel power I'd have to find it but it was similar, apart from walking / cycling electric is the most efficient form of personal transport
I love how you only ever see your side of an argument 🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love how you only ever see your side of an argument 🤣

I love how you appear "keen" on switching to an EV whilst rehashing the same view over and over.. almost like you just posting for a reaction

"Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, thinking of buying an EV and looking at 2nd hand. Year old, £23k saving on list price. Seriously? Are these cars going to become worthless?!?!"

"I quite fancy an EV but can't get my head around owning a car when it's 10 years old, the batteries have a range of 50 miles and it has virtually zero 2nd hand value."

"I'm considering a car change and very undecided what to go for. Thought long and hard about an EV but as a private cash buyer they are not worth it. 2nd values plummeting, can pick one up for good money about 3 or 4 years old but as I tend to keep my cars around 5 years or so it will be worth next to nothing when I come to sell it. It appears they are not all they are cracked up to be."

stevied

Visit site
View attachment 54898

The most abundant element in the universe but no natural sources. Good old hydrogen!

3 jabber

Visit site
I love how you appear "keen" on switching to an EV whilst rehashing the same view over and over.. almost like you just posting for a reaction

"Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, thinking of buying an EV and looking at 2nd hand. Year old, £23k saving on list price. Seriously? Are these cars going to become worthless?!?!"

"I quite fancy an EV but can't get my head around owning a car when it's 10 years old, the batteries have a range of 50 miles and it has virtually zero 2nd hand value."

"I'm considering a car change and very undecided what to go for. Thought long and hard about an EV but as a private cash buyer they are not worth it. 2nd values plummeting, can pick one up for good money about 3 or 4 years old but as I tend to keep my cars around 5 years or so it will be worth next to nothing when I come to sell it. It appears they are not all they are cracked up to be."
I like the idea of an EV but unlike you I see both sides of the arguement. Great in principle but with everything going on in the EV world I'm not convinced now is the time to switch. I'm sure you will tell me it is though.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The most abundant element in the universe but no natural sources. Good old hydrogen!

I'd really like to see hydrogen come to the table (even if it isn't as efficient) just to get more people away from fossil fuels however with the date getting closer for banning sale of new cars combined with more and more EV chargers. Models etc entering the market they will need to seriously ramp up role out in a shorter space of time. The infrastructure isn't even about yet and they closed some of the refilling stations already.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I like the idea of an EV but unlike you I see both sides of the arguement. Great in principle but with everything going on in the EV world I'm not convinced now is the time to switch. I'm sure you will tell me it is though.
No-one is telling you to buy an EV, buy what you want.
Just encouraging you to make the decision based on facts, not misinformation
eg
The car you quoted the Mokka e ultimate is £41,295 RRP but £31,999 showroom
The Mokka ultimate petrol is £33,715 RRP but £32,999 showroom

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest I was worried about cost and depreciation. But then I took an in depth view of my vehicle usage and how we treat our cars.
We do a few long trips a year but mainly less than 30miles a day. So charging at services is occasional and our supplier offers us charging at 7p a kilowatt.. so we save a bit.
But for me it’s not an environmental choice, and to suggest it is would be hypocritical. Anyone who buys a new car frequently is impacting the environment. There is a big question about sustainability and repair and maintenance, which is overlooked.
I disagree with the costs of EVs to a degree I would argue the public is being lied to. Tesla’s price cutting was beneficial and also helped to highlight there is a bit of dishonesty from the major manufacturers. The tariffs on China produced cars are protecting them but I don’t see the Europeans really dropping their prices. I don’t want to be flooded with inferior China products either, but we need them in our market to keep it competitive.
I would suggest you purchase a nearly new EV if your interested and push the price down some dealership will negotiate some will not .. those that don’t will go out of business. Make sure you know about the batteries and warranties etc …

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No-one is telling you to buy an EV, buy what you want.
Just encouraging you to make the decision based on facts, not misinformation
eg
The car you quoted the Mokka e ultimate is £41,295 RRP but £31,999 showroom
The Mokka ultimate petrol is £33,715 RRP but £32,999 showroom
As the retail list price is over £40k. that example would also be subject to the increase VED for the follwoing 5 yrs

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

As the retail list price is over £40k. that example would also be subject to the increase VED for the follwoing 5 yrs
Is that like stamp duty? 250k or whatever it is you pay, 249,999 it’s free?
The property market adjusted, housed were 249 or 275+ (2007 numbers). Does the car market adjust to it?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There are huge stores of hydrogen underground. And unlike oil, which takes millions of years to form, a lot of hydrogen is generated quite quickly by water seeping into the rock and reacting with iron. It's effectively a renewable.

Problem is that until recently none of the drilling companies have cared about it. They focus on drilling where there is oil and gas, which is a different geology to where you find hydrogen. That might change soon.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is that like stamp duty? 250k or whatever it is you pay, 249,999 it’s free?
The property market adjusted, housed were 249 or 275+ (2007 numbers). Does the car market adjust to it?
No it;s VED (or car tax as it was commonly known). Currentlly, for most ICE vehicles under 3 ton it's £190 but if the retail listed price is over £40k then for the 5 years after it's first birthday it's an extra £390 a year. From April 2025, it will included all EV's and be retro applicable (so no matter how old it is).
Thats as I understand it anyways:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Another reason not to buy a new EV.

Better off comparing a nearly new Mokka with a nearly new Mokka e
2023 Mokka 10,000miles...£21,495
2023 Mokka e 9,914 miles....£18,994

Some will say EVs are too expensive, now they are saying they're too cheap.
Buy what you want

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another reason not to buy a new EV.

Better off comparing a nearly new Mokka with a nearly new Mokka e
2023 Mokka 10,000miles...£21,495
2023 Mokka e 9,914 miles....£18,994

Some will say EVs are too expensive, now they are saying they're too cheap.
Buy what you want
Or any EV under 6 yrs old with a retail list price over £40k
:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hydrogen-
Had a article on my FB feed showing a hydrogen car with a range of 1500km

Trouble in this country is that there is so little infrastructure for it.

Reminds of when I considered switching a gas guzzler I owned to run on propane.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or any EV under 6 yrs old with a retail list price over £40k
:)

I don't follow the 40k part here? The over 40k bit is only from next year. I bought brand new in January and I pay no tax ATM and I'm not subject to the over 40k charge (even though mine cost 42k) nor is any EV at present .. any EV registered before April 1st 2025 is not subject to that tax.

Screenshot_2024-09-07-12-15-30-72_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

So second hand is perfect to buy ATM

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't follow the 40k part here? The over 40k bit is only from next year. I bought brand new in January and I pay no tax ATM and I'm not subject to the over 40k charge (even though mine cost 42k) nor is any EV at present .. any EV registered before April 1st 2025 is not subject to that tax.

View attachment 54901

So second hand is perfect to buy ATM
RAC VED info
This says it retro applied, and VED will be paid by all vehicles.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RAC VED info
This says it retro applied, and VED will be paid by all vehicles.....
In simple terms the the new rate of VED will apply to all electric vehicles from April 2025 regardless of when the were first registered

It says backdated but the important point is actually understanding what that means in terms of the legislation-

If a car was previously taxed at zero cost (exempt) it will no longer be so.

Using low emission ICE cars as an example if the VED was £30 when new when the new rate of VED moved to the higher level it did not apply to an old car so they carry on paying £30.