The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Octopus free hour of energy at 13:00 if anyone is on them

I happen to be just heading home anyways and the wife's car is only at 79% so might aswell add some for her

Will turn the battery off for the hour and run from the grid as the tumble is due on

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will see what octopus credit me. They should only charge me 7p a unit for that time anyways as I asked for a smart chart. (Which gave me those hours) So they might credit me for the day use! (I put in 10kwh at that time, wife's car to 90% and powerwall now full) That's 70p if they pay me at 7p for £2.22 think it is for the day rate. Will see in couple weeks

But the upside is now the sun is higher I'm exporting so being paid rather than going into my battery

All adds up. When combined with my car being at 98% as I had filled it up at golf for free this morning

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
yes - much of the discussion is on cars in general including those that are fun and sound and look good
Name another car on this thread that costs over 40p per mile to run, only has 2 seats and costs over £400,000 second hand.
If you want to start an anti EV thread, please feel free.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Name another car on this thread that costs over 40p per mile to run, only has 2 seats and costs over £400,000 second hand.
If you want to start an anti EV thread, please feel free.

Isn't that already this thread in the main

In other news got my results for the bank holiday half price charging

Screenshot_2024-09-10-16-36-36-95_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b.jpg

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
When it comes to road/car/vehicle tax then is there something that needs to be put in place to cover all cars

Never did understand why it was linked to emissions etc when an electric or hybrid car etc has potential to cause the same level of damage etc

So should it be linked to millage ? Weight ? Cost ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to road/car/vehicle tax then is there something that needs to be put in place to cover all cars

Never did understand why it was linked to emissions etc when an electric or hybrid car etc has potential to cause the same level of damage etc

So should it be linked to millage ? Weight ? Cost ?
HGV's have always been weight charged. To start doing that for EV's will give some a meltdown...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are you on about now 🤷‍♂️

Feel free to do some research before posting do us all a favour

"However, the analysis (which did not carry out real-world tests) found that any extra wear is “overwhelmingly caused by large vehicles – buses, heavy goods vehicles”. Road wear from cars and motorcycles is “so low that this immaterial”, they said."

The ECIU’s Walker said concerns about extra weight for EVs were simply “massively overstated”. However, he added that carmakers do have a responsibility to produce smaller electric cars, after years of focusing on the most profitable SUVs.

The extra weight of electric cars is not likely to accelerate the destruction of roads, bridges and car parks. Weight concerns threaten to be a distraction from the ultimate prize: cutting carbon emissions to net zero.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

"However, the analysis (which did not carry out real-world tests) found that any extra wear is “overwhelmingly caused by large vehicles – buses, heavy goods vehicles”. Road wear from cars and motorcycles is “so low that this immaterial”, they said."

🤦‍♂️

So as I said - the heavier the vehicle the potential for more damage 🙄

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The ECIU’s Walker said concerns about extra weight for EVs were simply “massively overstated”. However, he added that carmakers do have a responsibility to produce smaller electric cars, after years of focusing on the most profitable SUVs.

The extra weight of electric cars is not likely to accelerate the destruction of roads, bridges and car parks. Weight concerns threaten to be a distraction from the ultimate prize: cutting carbon emissions to net zero.
No one is saying they are too heavy for the roads, but they are heavier than the ICE requivalent in general and we all know that heavier vehicles do over time cause more damage to the road surfaces.
Have you never seen the depressions in main roads where lorries run all the time for example?

3 jabber

Visit site
Watched a youtube video today, found out about the Tesla app and how it shows the lifetime charging stats and battery health. Such a cool thing, DC charging isn't good for battery life, AC charging does much less damage. This is a game changer for me, going to start looking at Teslas even though I'm not keen on the interiors. Just need to find one that has been mainly charged at home.