The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you measure cars in their first 3 years, when no MOT is required?
Defer the bill until the first MOT?
And also make it compulsory to declare the mileage when a car is sold (and have it agreed by the buyer), so you can't duck out of your bill by selling it on just before the MOT.

These are simple procedural rules that would be easy to implement. The world is too obsessed with high tech solutions to simple problems.

As for the comment that odometers are easy to manipulate: actually they're not. The days when you could spin them round with a drill or use a toothpick to move the dials are long gone. When was the last time you daw a car without an electronic odometer?

The only reason to use GPS technology would be to vary the price based on location and time, as a possible way to tackle congestion. But that might be too much effort to be worthwhile.

stevied

Visit site
Don't know if this is a good or bad thing, thinking of buying an EV and looking at 2nd hand. Year old, £23k saving on list price. Seriously? Are these cars going to become worthless?!?!

All cars become worthless. Some quicker than others. I paid about 55k less than the original price of mine. I've no plans to sell in the next 10 years really. Personally I can't imagine going back to an ice car. I drive a luxury SUV that also leaves most things in its wake of the lights.

stevied

Visit site
Drive down the road and fill it up in 2 minutes?
The point is that it's a silly question and just nonsense what about this type stuff to try an prove a point that doesn't exist. What if you get the same call but have just finished your 3rd can of stella, or on holiday or 100miles away playing golf. The list is endless.

stevied

Visit site
Defer the bill until the first MOT?
And also make it compulsory to declare the mileage when a car is sold (and have it agreed by the buyer), so you can't duck out of your bill by selling it on just before the MOT.

These are simple procedural rules that would be easy to implement. The world is too obsessed with high tech solutions to simple problems.

As for the comment that odometers are easy to manipulate: actually they're not. The days when you could spin them round with a drill or use a toothpick to move the dials are long gone. When was the last time you daw a car without an electronic odometer?

The only reason to use GPS technology would be to vary the price based on location and time, as a possible way to tackle congestion. But that might be too much effort to be worthwhile.
Are you really that niave to think the miles on a digital odometer cant be falsified.? Sorry but without actual GPS data to back up what the display says then its useless.

3 jabber

Visit site
All cars become worthless. Some quicker than others. I paid about 55k less than the original price of mine. I've no plans to sell in the next 10 years really. Personally I can't imagine going back to an ice car. I drive a luxury SUV that also leaves most things in its wake of the lights.
Of course they do but to lose over 60% of it's value in less than 3000 miles is spectacularly poor. Possibly great for 2nd hand buyers if the value doesn't drop too much further but it will have a catastrophic effect on lease prices once the lease companies realise how much depreciation they have to factor in to a 2 or 3 year lease.

3 jabber

Visit site
The point is that it's a silly question and just nonsense what about this type stuff to try an prove a point that doesn't exist. What if you get the same call but have just finished your 3rd can of stella, or on holiday or 100miles away playing golf. The list is endless.
You are coming up with silly scenarios to try to make a point. So you've had 3 cans of Stella but someone else could drive your car. Oh hang on......give me a couple of hours to charge it first.....

stevied

Visit site
You are coming up with silly scenarios to try to make a point. So you've had 3 cans of Stella but someone else could drive your car. Oh hang on......give me a couple of hours to charge it first.....
that's the point they are all silly. Charging time isn't an issue, if this very Specific situation matters to you then keep your car always above 50% or something. As an aside modern ev can charge amazing fast if you want, so much like it's not really 2 mins to fill a car , it's also not hours to charge an ev. Mine a fairly slow one , but will still get to full in under an hour if I wanted. But i charge at home and plug in when it gets low. You don't wait until a ice has run out and you don't with an ev. It's just a slightly different way of thinking

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
that's the point they are all silly. Charging time isn't an issue, if this very Specific situation matters to you then keep your car always above 50% or something. As an aside modern ev can charge amazing fast if you want, so much like it's not really 2 mins to fill a car , it's also not hours to charge an ev. Mine a fairly slow one , but will still get to full in under an hour if I wanted. But i charge at home and plug in when it gets low. You don't wait until a ice has run out and you don't with an ev. It's just a slightly different way of thinking

Was pleasantly surprised with our first stop on route for a proper charge home.. even with our really slow 80kwh limit to the charger I was able to add 49% in less than 30 mins

Enough time for 2 wees and a tee

Most cars have a faster charge speed aswell

An EV6 would have been able to benefit from the full speed of that 230kwh charger would have added the same amount of kWh in 10 mins which is enough time to walk in the services, have a wee and walk out

stevied

Visit site
Was pleasantly surprised with our first stop on route for a proper charge home.. even with our really slow 80kwh limit to the charger I was able to add 49% in less than 30 mins

Enough time for 2 wees and a tee

Most cars have a faster charge speed aswell

An EV6 would have been able to benefit from the full speed of that 230kwh charger would have added the same amount of kWh in 10 mins which is enough time to walk in the services, have a wee and walk out
Same here , drove for 3hours , stopped at an open to all Tesla super charger. Had planned to get back to 80% from 25 ish. But by the time we had our lunch it was over 90! And mines only 100kwh max on a 90 kWh battery.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you really that niave to think the miles on a digital odometer cant be falsified.? Sorry but without actual GPS data to back up what the display says then its useless.
Please explain how an electronic odometer can be easily altered.
You said they were easy to manipulate. I'm all ears.

stevied

Visit site
1 go online and buy the readily available equipment, its not especially expensive.
2 change the mileage
Or if you're not techy enough go to any of the many companies who offer it as a service.
You do do know its not illegal right?

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1 go online and buy the readily available equipment, its not especially expensive.
2 change the mileage
Or if you're not techy enough go to any of the many companies who offer it as a service.
However, it is illegal to not disclose the alteration - which would be required when trying to pay your dues if pay per mile comes in so what would be the point?

stevied

Visit site
However, it is illegal to not disclose the alteration - which would be required when trying to pay your dues if pay per mile comes in so what would be the point?
The point is plenty would happily get roadman Dave from the local pub to clip a few k of miles off with the handheld diagnostics device he got from temu, to save themselves money.......like I said without GPS data to backup the numbers, an odometer reading is useless.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
2 change the mileage
OK, I've done some Googling and have discovered that these devices are indeed available.
(I also read that it's possible to detect that it has been done - not that it was explained how).

So my apologies for getting that wrong. Every day is a school day.

stevied

Visit site
OK, I've done some Googling and have discovered that these devices are indeed available.
(I also read that it's possible to detect that it has been done - not that it was explained how).

So my apologies for getting that wrong. Every day is a school day.
I believe my old beemer would have displayed a red dot next to the mileage had it been tampered with . Then I wonder how hard it would be to fool that too, as ultimately it's all just info on an EPROM.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Pay per mile really is a bit of joke where I live, whatever a person is driving, there are so many back roads to use just have to learn where the ANPR camera are and you could avoid them.
I bet if they did come in it would probably be a bit like ULEZ cameras - so many vandalised hardly worth the effort if teh intention is to have them on every road.
Alternatively, for road pricing they could use a built into the vehicle GPS with anti tamper technology.
Much simpler & hugely less costly than millions of ANPR cameras.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Alternatively, for road pricing they could use a built into the vehicle GPS with anti tamper technology.
Which does show just how far off that is really.
Can you imagine how many would fail to have it fitted.
There is always a way to stop electronics from working without the need to 'tamper' with it. EMF pulse comes to mind.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched a video on my face book page of how to do it.

It did not need any special device just pressing lots of different switches on the car in a set order

Not something that bothers me as I do such low mileage anyway.

stevied

Visit site
40 million vehicles to supply and fit this unit to. Not going to be cheap really. Then you've got to have the infrastructure to run it. Whichever way you look at it , its going to cost a lot.