The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

News that Volvo is changing it's target. Sensible move, going entirely EV at this stage is likely to lead to business disaster as the consumer is not there yet. Trying to force the market hasn't worked, a pace change was inevitable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My combi is in the loft, so switching preheat on and off based on requirements isn't a practical option.
And of course leaving preheat on permanently is way more wasteful than having a well insulated hot water tank.

EDIT: we seem to have come a long way from discussing EVs!
re your edit Yes

I cannot understand boilers being put in lofts unless the boiler is in a fully insulated cabinet.
What they call a frost thermostat is a bit of a misnomer. I know my boiler kicks in automatically if the temperature drops
to 8 deg C.
My neighbour had their's put in to the garage and it was firing up 24 hours a day in the colder periods. It was second home at the time for them and they never realised.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

News that Volvo is changing it's target. Sensible move, going entirely EV at this stage is likely to lead to business disaster as the consumer is not there yet. Trying to force the market hasn't worked, a pace change was inevitable.

When pay by mile eventually comes in there is talk that say it came in April that they would say right EVs before April will be free until x date which would boost the market with people trying to get the cars before then

Captain_Black.

Visit site
The current crop of EV'S will become obsolete & worthless in the next few years.
The Chinese are about to start building cars fitted with newly developed solid state batteries.
These batteries will have over a 700 mile range from a single charge & the re- charge time will be much quicker with minimal battery derogation.

If what I have read is factual? This is probably the breakthrough that the majority has been waiting for.
I think those that have watched the development's without jumping too quickly into the EV market have been wise.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When pay by mile eventually comes in there is talk that say it came in April that they would say right EVs before April will be free until x date which would boost the market with people trying to get the cars before then
I can not remember a year when pay per mile has not been talked about. It's a bit like flying cars on Tomorrows World 😄 . Maybe it will happen one day but so far, talk is all that happens with that option.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The current crop of EV'S will become obsolete & worthless in the next few years.
The Chinese are about to start building cars fitted with newly developed solid state batteries.
These batteries will have over a 700 mile range from a single charge & the re- charge time will be much quicker with minimal battery derogation.

If what I have read is factual? This is probably the breakthrough that the majority has been waiting for.
I think those that have watched the development's without jumping too quickly into the EV market have been wise.
The 100% tariffs on Chinese produced cars may impact that surge for a while. That type of battery would be game changer though, no question.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I can not remember a year when pay per mile has not been talked about. It's a bit like flying cars on Tomorrows World 😄 . Maybe it will happen one day but so far, talk is all that happens with that option.
We had a guy at the running club who worked for the DFT. He was always working on some pricing strategy. That was like 16 to 18 years ago. I think ANPR might have been a fallout of that, but so far the roads are "free".

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will come in, but only for EV's as petrol and diesel still pays tax on the fuel. All EV's will be hit by pay by mile, regardless of when it was bought.
It has been discussed on 5live this week.
No extra infrstructure would be required (ANPR etc) as the cars have the neccessary on board tech and recording to be able to supply the info for taxing.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It will come in, but only for EV's as petrol and diesel still pays tax on the fuel. All EV's will be hit by pay by mile, regardless of when it was bought.
No extra infrstructure would be required (ANPR etc) as the cars have the neccessary on board tech and recording to be able to supply the info for taxing.
You wanna bet?
If pay per mile comes in, they'll find a way to impose it on ICE cars as well.
And keep the fuel duty, of course.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You wanna bet?
If pay per mile comes in, they'll find a way to impose it on ICE cars as well.
And keep the fuel duty, of course.
The reason they wouldnt is that to do that would require expenditure to cover the country in ANPR. So it would be leave ICE paying fuel tax as they do already, and pay per mile tax for EV which can be worked out now, with very little expenditure.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The reason they wouldnt is that to do that would require expenditure to cover the country in ANPR. So it would be leave ICE paying fuel tax as they do already, and pay per mile tax for EV which can be worked out now, with very little expenditure.
Can you elaborate more on what is special about EVs in terms of the pay per mile tracking?
Our EV is one of those "common platform" ones, so the ICE version is pretty much identical - dashboard, tablet, app for journey tracking etc.
They may be EVs still on the road form the early 2000s also.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you elaborate more on what is special about EVs in terms of the pay per mile tracking?
Our EV is one of those "common platform" ones, so the ICE version is pretty much identical - dashboard, tablet, app for journey tracking etc.
They may be EVs still on the road form the early 2000s also.
No, because they didnt go into greater detail.
I doubt whether thers many EV's that old still going. The Vauxhall model had it's legs cut ages ago, and thats the only one I can remember ever seeing.

stevied

Visit site
sorry its just anti ev nonsense. I already pay tax on my .fuel, 5% vat.
How would it work for phevs that may do loads of miles on petrol or electric.
there is no magic tech in an ev that can do this. Ppm has been talked about as long as I can remember.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sorry its just anti ev nonsense. I already pay tax on my .fuel, 5% vat.
How would it work for phevs that may do loads of miles on petrol or electric.
there is no magic tech in an ev that can do this. Ppm has been talked about as long as I can remember.
Look for the article on catch up yourself then.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pay per mile really is a bit of joke where I live, whatever a person is driving, there are so many back roads to use just have to learn where the ANPR camera are and you could avoid them.
I bet if they did come in it would probably be a bit like ULEZ cameras - so many vandalised hardly worth the effort if teh intention is to have them on every road.