The all things EV chat thread

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at my octopus app.. last 3 month has been 500-600 KwH consumption. Batteries topped up every night and EV plugged in every night too. Now I run tumble dryer overnight. New dishwasher ‘eco’ cycle is 3.5 hrs, but it can run overnight too. Consumption is not linear and I have outliers like 43kwH days.

Luckily most of it has been offset by Solar. I don’t think I have fully drained my battery yet. It has a stop at 10%
Can I just say, that don't confuse "eco" programs with quick, they aren't and can't be. The energy use is all in the heating of the water, so less water means less money spent BUT it must run longer to be sure to clean properly. The same applies to washing machines. The energy a motor uses in pushing the water around or rotating a drum is next to nothing in comparison to heating an extra 500ml of water.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can I just say, that don't confuse "eco" programs with quick, they aren't and can't be. The energy use is all in the heating of the water, so less water means less money spent BUT it must run longer to be sure to clean properly. The same applies to washing machines. The energy a motor uses in pushing the water around or rotating a drum is next to nothing in comparison to heating an extra 500ml of water.
It seems so long ago that appliances would take a hot water feed than just try to heat it themselves.
My new dishwasher ‘eco’ is 3.5 hrs!!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems so long ago that appliances would take a hot water feed than just try to heat it themselves.

And what a waste of energy that was .. having to use gas or electric to heat the water to go into the machine. Rather than the machine controlling the temp straight Way

3.5 hours for Eco is decent ours is 4 hours. It's an overnight one

Normal time is 2 hours 18

Is what it is

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
And what a waste of energy that was .. having to use gas or electric to heat the water to go into the machine. Rather than the machine controlling the temp straight Way

Is what it is
But heating water with gas (which is how most of us do it) is significantly cheaper than doing so with electricity. (Even if you have a cheap overnight tariff it's still more per kWh than gas). So maybe having a hot feed isn't as daft as it sounds.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But heating water with gas (which is how most of us do it) is significantly cheaper than doing so with electricity. (Even if you have a cheap overnight tariff it's still more per kWh than gas). So maybe having a hot feed isn't as daft as it sounds.
The reason machines followed Miele and more importantly Zanussi was the push to lower water level use in the 80s and the result that by the time actually hot water entered the machine they had almost stopped filling. Couple that with the need for a more accurate temperature requirement and there being no standard hot water temperature meant going cold fill only was the way forward. Also don’t forget that soaking stains or dirty clothes with cold water then raising the water to the required temperature gives better cleaning results and is better for the garment.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought you used excess solar energy to raise your hot water tank temperature via a heating element. Which had a positive affect on gas consumption. Likewise if you have an air pump you can keep the house at a higher minimum and the energy required to raise it would be lower.
I don’t see gas as being totally replaced, I thought it was a mixed strategy of applications.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Is what it is
Not necessarily.. I m heating cold water in my washing machine or dishwasher when I have about 200 liters of hot water sitting idle in the tank. Though I think appliance will have to figure out a way to manage temperature

(Just saw @Bunkermagnet’s explaination .. it is more logically but not insurmountable to achieve if machines had 2 feeds)

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily.. I m hearing cold water in my washing machine or dishwasher when I have about 200 liters of hot water sitting idle in the tank. Though I think appliance will have to figure out a way to manage temperature

(Just saw @Bunkermagnet’s explaination .. it is more logically but not insurmountable to achieve if machines had 2 feeds)
That’s why I have never been a fan of stored hot water, every day you pay to heat it up, what you don’t use gets cold then you pay to heat it up again, much more efficient to have the hot water “on demand” (Combi)

Re your other post about Siemens DW, I’ve now got a kitchen full of Siemens “smart” appliances. I’ve never set any of them up and they work perfectly.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s why I have never been a fan of stored hot water, every day you pay to heat it up, what you don’t use gets cold then you pay to heat it up again, much more efficient to have the hot water “on demand” (Combi)
We paid 20p a day for gas when we were on holidays at the end of August. I could have switched it off but I forgot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I read somewhere that modern detergents work best when heated slowly.

2nd point is that stored water starts at 70 degrees and having a hot feed probably worked well when most people washed at 60 degrees.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I moved a couple of years ago and this is the first house I've had a combi boiler. The time it takes for hot water to come through is rather irritating.
Modern properly insulated water tanks lose very little heat. I think I prefer the old way (not that it bothers me enough to contemplate ripping out the combi).

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not necessarily.. I m heating cold water in my washing machine or dishwasher when I have about 200 liters of hot water sitting idle in the tank. Though I think appliance will have to figure out a way to manage temperature

Washings machines used to have hot and cold feeds, when the drum would be half full of water even the main wash, but this was predominantly the UK. Europe has had cold fill machines for years as they also had cold wash detergents. The UK consumer and buyer also couldn’t see that cold feed only was better.
In actual fact, back then although Zanussi did have a hot and cold feed, only 1 program took any hot water and that was the boil wash.
Now we have the eco drive and washing at lower temperatures, to feed hot water into a washing machine is a risk no one wants with such lower temps required accurately.
Dishwashers should never be on hot water feed as the salt in the salt container would be dissolved too early. Also, certain programs require a lower temperature to avoid damage to the items being washed, such as glasses.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I moved a couple of years ago and this is the first house I've had a combi boiler. The time it takes for hot water to come through is rather irritating.
Modern properly insulated water tanks lose very little heat. I think I prefer the old way (not that it bothers me enough to contemplate ripping out the combi).
It is the main reason I had my combi mounted right next to the sink in the kitchen (new kitchen was designed) for it. I also chose a boiler that has a preheat mode so the HW is almost instantaneous.

Takes a little longer to reach the bathroom almost directly above the kitchen but I rarely use the preheat mode for the bathroom.

As I have said before the trouble with tanks, no matter how well insulated, is that when you run the hot you are filling the tank with cold and cooling down the remaining hot and for sanitary reasons they have to be heated to 70 degrees to kill the bacteria. I never run my combi above 50 for hot water.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is the main reason I had my combi mounted right next to the sink in the kitchen (new kitchen was designed) for it. I also chose a boiler that has a preheat mode so the HW is almost instantaneous.

Takes a little longer to reach the bathroom almost directly above the kitchen but I rarely use the preheat mode for the bathroom.

As I have said before the trouble with tanks, no matter how well insulated, is that when you run the hot you are filling the tank with cold and cooling down the remaining hot and for sanitary reasons they have to be heated to 70 degrees to kill the bacteria. I never run my combi above 50 for hot water.

Again, it depends on individual requirements... We have a combi that fills a fully insulated tank. If we did a direct feed, then with all bathrooms running during morning rush hour, we just wont get the thru put. It is a case of whatever works

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, it depends on individual requirements... We have a combi that fills a fully insulated tank. If we did a direct feed, then with all bathrooms running during morning rush hour, we just wont get the thru put. It is a case of whatever works
Yes true

I tend to forget both of my bathrooms have electric showers.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

My combi is in the loft, so switching preheat on and off based on requirements isn't a practical option.
And of course leaving preheat on permanently is way more wasteful than having a well insulated hot water tank.

EDIT: we seem to have come a long way from discussing EVs!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stats from my DW app… I run Eco on overnight. But today needed a quick cycle between lunch and dinner so did a ‘Speed 45’ cycle .. it runs for 35 mins. Now I m really wondering what is eco really about

1725482870018.png