The all things EV chat thread

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I like the new modeling some companies are doing where all cars have the features but are then turned on and off if you subscribe to them. It's much less wasteful than making a car with and without heated seats for example and if you buy second hand you can be like oh I want heated seats I'll get them
I hate that. You basically carry something that weights a little bit you can’t use. And no BMW customer has ever paid for the subscription model on the indicator ;-)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Heat pumps great in winter for efficiency, all your test drives are in prime conditions rather than degraded ones

Their not the be all and end all but I do like mine , depends how much it is

I'd lean towards the Skoda tbh as BMW just trying to make pretty cars rather than efficient
Which ones? Most BMW models I am seeing at the moment are goppingly awful.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hate that. You basically carry something that weights a little bit you can’t use. And no BMW customer has ever paid for the subscription model on the indicator ;-)

Cuts down manufacturing costs tho

I mean Tesla you can pay for the self driving or whatever £4k upgrade

My mate sent a screen shot 1k to upgrade 0-60 by 1 second

Silly software tweaks but available to anyone who wants to part with their cash

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm with you about frivolous extra, but do you genuinely consider a heated steering wheel and seats to be more important than good brakes? 😲
I expect them per se, legal requirements are stopping at a deceleration of 11m/s ish.
The problem from my experience is the braking attribute teams tune to the tyre and then the customer puts on a cheaper tyre and the braking distance is adversely affected.
My view is the brake distance or deceleration should be done on a low quality tyre.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just drive the iX3, very comfortable and really smooth with good sound insulation. Steady through changes of direction and nicely weighted steering. I think better than my F Pace was and that was a lovely car. The power delivery was more than enough and smooth.
The car comes with a shed load of stuff, metallic paint is no extra cost wheels no choice.. I don’t care unless the car is lazy or bangy.
I will pursue a deal on a 2nd hand low mileage car. I don’t think a new deal works out as well given the market behaviour. So using the market conditions to my advantage could save me more money.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I expect them per se, legal requirements are stopping at a deceleration of 11m/s ish.
The problem from my experience is the braking attribute teams tune to the tyre and then the customer puts on a cheaper tyre and the braking distance is adversely affected.
My view is the brake distance or deceleration should be done on a low quality tyre.
Ah right, I misunderstood your post.
What you actually mean is that stuff like ABS and disc brakes shouldn't be extra options - they should be standard, right? If so, I agree.
(Mind you, do any cars these days come without discs and ABS?)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah right, I misunderstood your post.
What you actually mean is that stuff like ABS and disc brakes shouldn't be extra options - they should be standard, right? If so, I agree.
(Mind you, do any cars these days come without discs and ABS?)

That's his point to be fair. They shouldn't be listed as features as they are standard

It's like boasting the car has seatbelts

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's his point to be fair. They shouldn't be listed as features as they are standard

It's not boasting, but just informing the percentage of buyers who do not know ABS is standard now, just as laminate windscreens, and even intermittent wipers are.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Move over all you yogurt knitters and fence sitters… finally a proper use of an EV .. all the way from OoyeessAhh… long live America.. (and he got a thumbs up from Elon on Twitter)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Move over all you yogurt knitters and fence sitters… finally a proper use of an EV .. all the way from OoyeessAhh… long live America.. (and he got a thumbs up from Elon on Twitter)

Typical hillbilly rubbish. Should use the weapon on that hideous pile of rubbish that go kart is.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the packs really annoying and working at JLR it was evident that the marketing teams were not very good at it. The point is they need to simplify the line work but the packs came with 70-80% of stuff you didn’t want.
Give me a heated steering wheel and seats plus heated screen and I am happy.
What I don’t like is lists of stuff that I feel are just bog std market requirements.. like ABS , ADAS functions , disc brakes …..
One of my annoyances on mine is the position of the switch for heated seats (not something I am bothered about having) and the number of times I suddenly realise I have a burning bottom.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my annoyances on mine is the position of the switch for heated seats (not something I am bothered about having) and the number of times I suddenly realise I have a burning bottom.
Back when the heated seat was novel we used turn them up to max on our unsuspecting passenger. You could see them fidgeting about .. it’s a sensation of perhaps needing a number 2 but them being surprised as they had not expected it 🤭🤭

stevied

Visit site
I joined here a while after this thread started and only got an EV earlier this year, I’d be interested to know if anyone’s view has changed much and either gone back to an ICE from EV. Scanning back through the thread it seems there is a lot of comment about range and charging speed vs filling up at a station and cost to buy.

It seems most take the most extreme cases of range and quote the 5 mins to fill and ICE as the baseline for owning an EV, but in reality it very straight forward and less hassle than an ICE car tbh. I can’t ever imagine owning an ICE car ever again.

So many amazing deals for EVs out there now, if you’re on the fence then just go for it.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

Not sure if it was an old video, but I saw one of Elon saying that with modern technology in airbags seatbelts could be a ‘whatever’

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I joined here a while after this thread started and only got an EV earlier this year, I’d be interested to know if anyone’s view has changed much and either gone back to an ICE from EV. Scanning back through the thread it seems there is a lot of comment about range and charging speed vs filling up at a station and cost to buy.

It seems most take the most extreme cases of range and quote the 5 mins to fill and ICE as the baseline for owning an EV, but in reality it very straight forward and less hassle than an ICE car tbh. I can’t ever imagine owning an ICE car ever again.

So many amazing deals for EVs out there now, if you’re on the fence then just go for it.
I've only met one person who wants to switch back from EV to ICE because he can't charge at home or at work. A bit more research required

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Deposit laid out on BMW iX3 with 4300miles on 73plate in the colour combo my wife wanted.
I am now sorting out a home charger, and getting my electric tariff sorted. Then I will do the car insurance which will be higher, but that’s life.
I have identified a few chargers locally that have lowish tariffs and high speeds.

So next job is to think about solar panels and direct to car options or battery. I think the home battery doesn’t have to be as big as I was thinking initially, which will be a cost save. I will ask about the ability to add to them in series if I upgrade later.