The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drove the Enyaq 85 coupe. I liked this far more controlled than Audi even with big wheels (21”) . The layout inside was good, some proper buttons but a lot on the screen. The seats were comfortable and the drive was nice.
I asked if they had a few cars in the system but the options we like were unique. But they added heated seats all round and a few other bits. So we would have to wait 16 weeks to get the car.
The demonstrator was nice so i asked about that but the APR jumps from 0% to 11.3% .. apparently this is set by Skoda head office .. so I guess they will keep that car then

Did you order it? Heat pump or no heat pump?

The Skoda make very very good cars.audi try to live on their rep

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you order it? Heat pump or no heat pump?

The Skoda make very very good cars.audi try to live on their rep
I did not see the heat pump as a necessity given the vehicles range and efficiency. I got to 4.1 miles /kw which was good and I wasn’t driving with range in mind.

I will drive the iX3 tomorrow.. I have seen several possible candidates for a deal so hopefully I like the drive. I won’t buy brand new because the deal is not making the 5000mile ones look bad.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did not see the heat pump as a necessity given the vehicles range and efficiency. I got to 4.1 miles /kw which was good and I wasn’t driving with range in mind.

I will drive the iX3 tomorrow.. I have seen several possible candidates for a deal so hopefully I like the drive. I won’t buy brand new because the deal is not making the 5000mile ones look bad.

Heat pumps great in winter for efficiency, all your test drives are in prime conditions rather than degraded ones

Their not the be all and end all but I do like mine , depends how much it is

I'd lean towards the Skoda tbh as BMW just trying to make pretty cars rather than efficient

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heat pumps great in winter for efficiency, all your test drives are in prime conditions rather than degraded ones

Their not the be all and end all but I do like mine , depends how much it is

I'd lean towards the Skoda tbh as BMW just trying to make pretty cars rather than efficient
I would agree with you on all points but I figured the heat pump at £859 and being most effective at the -numbers and our usage it didn’t feel like a financially good deal.. half price and yeah I am in but Renault have it as standard and I think BMW does as well.

The wife likes the BMW but she wants me to drive it to be sure, she knows I am a pedant on these things. I can pick stuff up but I take a view if it bothers me after 15minutes then it’s an issue. Which is why I am not an attribute tester or tuner because I am so relaxed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree with you on all points but I figured the heat pump at £859 and being most effective at the -numbers and our usage it didn’t feel like a financially good deal.. half price and yeah I am in but Renault have it as standard and I think BMW does as well.

The wife likes the BMW but she wants me to drive it to be sure, she knows I am a pedant on these things. I can pick stuff up but I take a view if it bothers me after 15minutes then it’s an issue. Which is why I am not an attribute tester or tuner because I am so relaxed.

Think mine was a grand to add, but whilst I may not ever pay it off at least if I ever come to sell it then it's value increases as less of them about

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw a video the other day and they stated that getting a heat pump as an option, from a financial point of view, was a complete waste of money.
I'll try and find the video, if anyone is interested.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw a video the other day and they stated that getting a heat pump as an option, from a financial point of view, was a complete waste of money.
There’s lots of optional extras on cars that don’t make a jot of sense financially speaking, upgraded stereo systems, heads up displays, seat cooling, heated steering wheels.

Sure, some features might be standard on some makes and models but for the most part anything thats an add on that doesn’t enhance the performance of the car itself is not financially sensible if paid for.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at how they calculate range tyre rolling resistance is used. They round it down to 5.9 for class 1/A tyres. This figure is measured at 23-25degrees C. When a tyre is cold the rolling resistance increases .. which has a massive impact on range .. probably more so than a heat pump.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It all boils down to how much range you can sacrifice in winter. If you do the same millage all year round you have to take 10% to 20% loss in winter without heat pump.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s lots of optional extras on cars that don’t make a jot of sense financially speaking, upgraded stereo systems, heads up displays, seat cooling, heated steering wheels.

Sure, some features might be standard on some makes and models but for the most part anything thats an add on that doesn’t enhance the performance of the car itself is not financially sensible if paid for.
I find the packs really annoying and working at JLR it was evident that the marketing teams were not very good at it. The point is they need to simplify the line work but the packs came with 70-80% of stuff you didn’t want.
Give me a heated steering wheel and seats plus heated screen and I am happy.
What I don’t like is lists of stuff that I feel are just bog std market requirements.. like ABS , ADAS functions , disc brakes …..

3 jabber

Visit site

The first thing I look at when changing cars is the stereo system. When I go out for a blast on my own it gets cranked right up. Very important part of the overall experience to me.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

By chance I watched the Enyak video last week. They mention the heat pump here at the 14 minute mark and why they skip it as well
Same reason you give

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first thing I look at when changing cars is the stereo system. When I go out for a blast on my own it gets cranked right up. Very important part of the overall experience to me.
Exactly my point, a heat pump adds to the experience for some whilst delivering no real wold improvement to the performance of the car.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By chance I watched the Enyak video last week. They mention the heat pump here at the 14 minute mark and why they skip it as well
Same reason you give

When I was looking at the niro the heat pump had become an optional extra. Previously it was included as standard. Apparently Kia found (this isn't from dealers as they haven't a clue about their own products most of the time) that the majority of people do smaller milage so don't overly need the heat pump

I wanted mine to have a heat pump as personal preference and don't regret it

I may regret it in deep winter when I have forgotten to preheat the car and I'm waiting to warm up but still got the heated seats and steering wheel for that

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Extras in cars are stupidly. EV or ICE.

Oh, I like this radio. But they say I can’t have it with that seats colour. Or I like the extra socket in the boot, but not with LED headlights, can’t have USB ports with 20’’ alloys, …

That’s where I like the trim levels on a Hyundai, but then you have to take certain floor mats just because you want whatever boot cover.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Extras in cars are stupidly. EV or ICE.

Oh, I like this radio. But they say I can’t have it with that seats colour. Or I like the extra socket in the boot, but not with LED headlights, can’t have USB ports with 20’’ alloys, …

That’s where I like the trim levels on a Hyundai, but then you have to take certain floor mats just because you want whatever boot cover.
That's why I bought a new BMW.
You start with the basic car and you add what you want.
On the one hand, it gets a bit pricey but on the other, you only pay for what you want

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's why I bought a new BMW.
You start with the basic car and you add what you want.
On the one hand, it gets a bit pricey but on the other, you only pay for what you want

I like the new modeling some companies are doing where all cars have the features but are then turned on and off if you subscribe to them. It's much less wasteful than making a car with and without heated seats for example and if you buy second hand you can be like oh I want heated seats I'll get them

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Give me a heated steering wheel and seats plus heated screen and I am happy.
What I don’t like is lists of stuff that I feel are just bog std market requirements.. like ABS , ADAS functions , disc brakes …..
I'm with you about frivolous extra, but do you genuinely consider a heated steering wheel and seats to be more important than good brakes? 😲