The all things EV chat thread

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I have arranged a test drive in the e-scenic tomorrow and I will do the Nissan Ariya in the afternoon on Tuesday I hope I have tried to get the BMWs sorted as well but they want to work up numbers .. and I have said don’t bother till I know I like it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I have arranged a test drive in the e-scenic tomorrow and I will do the Nissan Ariya in the afternoon on Tuesday I hope I have tried to get the BMWs sorted as well but they want to work up numbers .. and I have said don’t bother till I know I like it

Ooo they ariya is nice, also nissan know their stuff EV wise

They also moved away from chardemo and to CCS for it which makes it easier

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So we are officially home after going via my nans on the way back. Now the drive down was awful in terms of traffic (bank holiday weekend and all)

Left home 100% got to Bournemouth 42% after 152 miles round the houses route for sure with all the traffic

Left bouremouth this morning 42% got to Winchester north with 23% (45 miles)

Stopped for 30 mins for wees and teas , 49% added to the battery so left Winchester with 72% got home after 104 miles now have 39%

Octopus are doing half priced home intelligent charging tomorrow night so just leaving it until then as don't need to go many places tomorrow. Makes up for losing the gridserve 20% off by the app being silly

Wife even said the stop didn't seem long by time we been loo, ordered a tea and got a seat it was ready to go again

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think the ariya could be a good call, it’s practical and luxurious

With Nissan's experience with the leaf you know they will actually know what to do if something went wrong aswell , where as others haven't got a Scoobie as they haven't trained enough staff

Mustang e tho must be up there? Lovely car

Not sure about Toyota or honda ones because they didn't enter as soon to the market

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I despair at the designers of new cars, all cars.
The dash looks so unplanned.
''Where will the sat nav go?''
''I don't know...stick in on the shelf''
Except maybe the Vauxhall Corsa e
I know, not a stunner to look at but inside looks thought through, planned, built in

dddd.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know, not a stunner to look at but inside looks thought through, planned, built in

View attachment 54730

When I ordered mine back in 2020 it was between that and the Peugeot 208e (same car) however the Peugeot went more sporty and less buttons than the vauxhall so preferred the understated of it. Didn't end up very well made tbh and I won't get another car from that group however i could have just had a real duffer / bad luck .. the driver seat ripping at the seem was ridiculous (had it sew up for £100 by an upholstery guy)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

View attachment 54730
The new Volvo EX30 looks awful, they have just stuck an iPad in the middle of the dashboard…
IMG_2682.jpeg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The new Volvo EX30 looks awful, they have just stuck an iPad in the middle of the dashboard…
View attachment 54731

Some say awful others say smart design. It's definitely aimed at a different generation, even from myself .. my mate loves the look of his Tesla (which is much like this) and he is 30.. it's like a giant phone ..

One thing I will say about the Volvo that is a good .. if somebody parks next to you too close just get out the other side ... ex30-electric-interior-room1-galleryitem1-1x1.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a cop out of design and a failure of functionality. It makes things easier for the mfrs but I doubt it is what consumers want.
IMG-20240807-WA0006.jpg

My playing partner loves his , at the charge station when he first got it just watching a video before heading off

Oh also I remember the video on the Volvo. They put a soundbar in it at the windscreen instead of speakers down the side as it saved on cost on one model (not sure if all of them)

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

View attachment 54730
Do I spy actual rotary dials on the heater? Well done, Vauxhall.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing there will be an age cut off of who likes a full screen, who doesn't. I like a good infotainment system but I don't want a full iPad, as per Volvo.

I have a friend who has an xc40. Lovely car, still doesn't like the tablet. They have over complicated some simple functions. Oh, and he is not interested in watching YouTube in the car 🤣

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some say awful others say smart design. It's definitely aimed at a different generation, even from myself .. my mate loves the look of his Tesla (which is much like this) and he is 30.. it's like a giant phone ..

One thing I will say about the Volvo that is a good .. if somebody parks next to you too close just get out the other side ... View attachment 54732

Regardless of if it’s aimed at me or not, It looks like the next gen of the XC40 which I had for 4 years, that was also everything through a touch screen. I can tell you from experience that it is not safe.

My Xtrail is a perfect blend of screens for all the techy stuff but knobs for all the stuff you are likely to need when driving.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Regardless of if it’s aimed at me or not, It looks like the next gen of the XC40 which I had for 4 years, that was also everything through a touch screen. I can tell you from experience that it is not safe.

My Xtrail is a perfect blend of screens for all the techy stuff but knobs for all the stuff you are likely to need when driving.

Whilst I agree in principle we are supposed to just leave things alone whilst we drive, IE set the climate control to 20 and leave it then anything that needs changing has been put on the steering wheel

But in reality it never works out

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree in principle we are supposed to just leave things alone whilst we drive, IE set the climate control to 20 and leave it then anything that needs changing has been put on the steering wheel

But in reality it never works out
It used to be things like turning the fan a little higher or maybe changing the radio that would often see me on the wrong side of the road!
And for some reason no voice recognition ever seems to understand my “Danny Baker” voice! 😆

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very disappointing results…

Rule of thumb, main manufacturers seems to have gone for looks over efficiency where as your Nissan's and Tesla build their EVs from the ground up. They may look a bit different but they are designed to perform which the Tesla's do time and time again. Just a shame Elon is nuts