The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was leaning that way as I find the Rolec is an ugly bit of kit and still carry gripes with the product from my previous job. I was prepared to swallow my pride if the tech outweighed it… but seems it doesn’t.

Interestingly, the EASEE also supports 22kw charging if you have a three phase supply.

Yeah I'm on EV forums and it seems the Rolec is a very basic one and not highly rated at all

Easee does look good for sure. It's very sleek

Didn't know about the 22kw supply able but that's good!

Lots of information out there now for people to make their decisions easier. My go to recommendation is ohme. Easy to use and works with majority of suppliers smart tariffs

I had a podpoint only because my mate at work had one and he was only EV user I knew. If I could start again from scratch I'd of got a zappi as they are the best .. but they cost. So ohme I managed to get a friend to swap for the price of keeping my old podpoint and I got the ohme off eBay for pretty cheap. So was worth it (because of my battery system blah blah boring)

Anyways now if people don't have solar id recommend ohme for ease of use and compatibility

However in your case with the two examples listed at decent price I'd lean towards the easee

The golf club has Rolec so I use them often but from the videos I've seen they are prone to breaking easily

stevied

Visit site
Surely that cant be true......430,000miles in 8 years? 😮
That's over 1000 miles ever week for 8 years.

I thought EVs were only good for short journeys? :whistle:
There is a series of videos on YouTube about that Tesla rory Reed presents them. Same battery, hes done about 50 50 split between super charging and home change too.

stevied

Visit site
I was leaning that way as I find the Rolec is an ugly bit of kit and still carry gripes with the product from my previous job. I was prepared to swallow my pride if the tech outweighed it… but seems it doesn’t.

Interestingly, the EASEE also supports 22kw charging if you have a three phase supply.
I've got the the ohme home pro, 5m tether. It's so far good, minimal set up on octopus intelligent go. The app tells me the 5000 miles I have done have cost me just shy of £150. My old petrol car would have been over a grand I'd think.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Almost pulled the trigger on a Volvo EC40. So, why have I shifted towards an EV? If the range is around 250+ miles, how often do I ever do a journey like that? Yeah, we’ve got a Portugal trip in the spring that will take some planning but we’re looking at a max of 200miles a day. The furthest we travel locally is a 90 mile round trip. 98% of our journeys are less than 25 miles round trip. EV is a no-brainer.

Two things put a pause on it, although I may just go for another hybrid.

1. I read a report that the Volvo doesn’t fast charge. If I’m stopping off to top up, I don’t fancy being stopped for the thick end of an hour. I need to follow up on that. Yes, I could go for a different car but why go with a car I don’t like as much.
  2. The charging network in southeast Spain is the pits. A number of hotels and service stations have them - think there’s 18 charge points in a 15 mile radius. 2 are a mile away, which is pointless, and a further 8 are about 10 miles away. Those 8 are not in places that lend themselves to going for a meal or shopping. But they’re all close enough to be pointless.
Number of charging points for our mid distance journeys are the issue. The charging points there are no better than those locally.

I need more info on the Volvo, and I need to see a greater provision of chargers at that 100-150 mile range.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Almost pulled the trigger on a Volvo EC40. So, why have I shifted towards an EV? If the range is around 250+ miles, how often do I ever do a journey like that? Yeah, we’ve got a Portugal trip in the spring that will take some planning but we’re looking at a max of 200miles a day. The furthest we travel locally is a 90 mile round trip. 98% of our journeys are less than 25 miles round trip. EV is a no-brainer.

Two things put a pause on it, although I may just go for another hybrid.

1. I read a report that the Volvo doesn’t fast charge. If I’m stopping off to top up, I don’t fancy being stopped for the thick end of an hour. I need to follow up on that. Yes, I could go for a different car but why go with a car I don’t like as much.
  2. The charging network in southeast Spain is the pits. A number of hotels and service stations have them - think there’s 18 charge points in a 15 mile radius. 2 are a mile away, which is pointless, and a further 8 are about 10 miles away. Those 8 are not in places that lend themselves to going for a meal or shopping. But they’re all close enough to be pointless.
Number of charging points for our mid distance journeys are the issue. The charging points there are no better than those locally.

I need more info on the Volvo, and I need to see a greater provision of chargers at that 100-150 mile range.

Screenshot_2024-08-24-16-56-18-78_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Where did it say can't fast charge? All new EVs can , this is the stats I found on the UK model (EU should be the same just with obviously the wheel the other side)

CCS is what you need to look for , that's the fast charger

Good speed on that, mine is limited to 80kw which is why I wouldn't recommend the niro for long distances all time drivers I'd say ev6 which has 350kw speed but as I don't use often I don't mind

Don't worry about plug and charge btw that's just if the car can support chargers that talk to the car and just charge the account it's linked to (like Tesla) not many outside them have that capability

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just in Germany. Doing 300 miles on the motorway and 3 days in the Ruhrgebiet. I might have seen 5 Tesla’s tops, and maybe 10 other EVs in that time.
We are so much ahead of the curve in England, I am really surprised by that. I have seen 4 public chargers in Essen, and 2 at the McDonald’s where we stopped for a ‘McPee’

Still on a mission to point out Kona, Niro and MG5 to the missus but no luck over here. ID4 or eTron ‘only’

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried Lexus RZ, Audi Q4 etron and polestar 2 … so far.
We ended up at BMW and the wife prefers iX3 .. but not driven it yet.

The RZ was very luxurious and sound insulated. But the range is realistically only 210miles ( we can cope, but I think may be the future values may be affected)
Audi Q4 Etron .. disappointed, it looks good, seats are hard, noise from the motors at low speed is in the cabin and it does the general Audi ride of thumping and bouncing.
Polestar- nice, liked the 1 pedal adaptive brakes, they are a really great idea .. 20” wheels are not, they are noisy and fidgety over certain surfaces. The powertrain noise is contained .. I would have one on 19” wheels, but the wife wants an SUV.

I think I will skip the Skoda , and ID4, if the Audi was a disappointment these could be worse .

Tomorrow I will try the Renault E-scenic and Peugeot E-3008

I am staying away from the Kia’s because we have a courtesy sportage and it’s sensors are pinging randomly and the apple iplay is temperamental.. which is a simple issue, that should not be in the car so they have quality issues for certain.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The RZ was very luxurious and sound insulated. But the range is realistically only 210miles ( we can cope, but I think may be the future values may be affected)
Audi Q4 Etron .. disappointed, it looks good, seats are hard, noise from the motors at low speed is in the cabin and it does the general Audi ride of thumping and bouncing.
Polestar- nice, liked the 1 pedal adaptive brakes, they are a really great idea .. 20” wheels are not, they are noisy and fidgety over certain surfaces. The powertrain noise is contained .. I would have one on 19” wheels, but the wife wants an SUV.

I think I will skip the Skoda , and ID4, if the Audi was a disappointment these could be worse .

I am staying away from the Kia’s because we have a courtesy sportage and it’s sensors are pinging randomly and the apple iplay is temperamental.. which is a simple issue, that should not be in the car so they have quality issues for certain.

Don't fall into the trap of the badge meaning quality. Skoda have been making good cars for years , Audi is just overpriced version that isn't always better.

The BMW, Audi , Merc EVs aren't amazing.. too late to the party then trying to stick to old ways.. where as VW have built some decent EVs with Skoda aswell (yes Audi is same group but not as good imo EV wise)

Hyundai ionic 5 is outstanding car

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't fall into the trap of the badge meaning quality. Skoda have been making good cars for years , Audi is just overpriced version that isn't always better.

The BMW, Audi , Merc EVs aren't amazing.. too late to the party then trying to stick to old ways.. where as VW have built some decent EVs with Skoda aswell (yes Audi is same group but not as good imo EV wise)

Hyundai ionic 5 is outstanding car
I was interested in the Enyaq 85, but if Audi are not putting the NVH material in will Skoda ? I will see how the 2 French cars are and then consider the Skoda .. but yes Audi is off the table. The ID 4 was never really one that I was going to chase up because I don’t really like much about it.
As for Hyundai, I do like the 5 but it’s probably had its day and I haven’t like what’s followed. But also South Korea is very much a Chinese technology stalking horse .. I just wish that there was some sort of proper governance on the component. Signing something off once isn’t rigid enough there should be strict conformance of production. This was highlighted to me when we did the bag in the boot for IPace and the materials team said it failed a fogging test. Which sounded harmless but the reality was it was giving carcinogenic fumes off and this was from the bag material. The bag supplier would just buy any old roll of fabric with out checking- that changed.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was interested in the Enyaq 85, but if Audi are not putting the NVH material in will Skoda ? I will see how the 2 French cars are and then consider the Skoda .. but yes Audi is off the table. The ID 4 was never really one that I was going to chase up because I don’t really like much about it.
As for Hyundai, I do like the 5 but it’s probably had its day and I haven’t like what’s followed. But also South Korea is very much a Chinese technology stalking horse .. I just wish that there was some sort of proper governance on the component. Signing something off once isn’t rigid enough there should be strict conformance of production. This was highlighted to me when we did the bag in the boot for IPace and the materials team said it failed a fogging test. Which sounded harmless but the reality was it was giving carcinogenic fumes off and this was from the bag material. The bag supplier would just buy any old roll of fabric with out checking- that changed.

See id say since the Kona and the niro Hyundai Kia group have made excellent EVs . There isn't really a bad one.

The Skoda seems very well made and id series now they have face lifts are okay .. Skoda seemed more refined though

Don't rule out the Tesla offerings, they are light years ahead of the main manufacturers who buried their heads in the sand.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t doubt the South Korean technology for batteries but this Kia we have on the drive at the moment is abysmal. It’s been a real disappointment and unexpectedly so.
I did test a Hyundai hybrid and it just could not decide which power source it wanted to use. I hadn’t mentioned this to anyone but my wife, but a friend echoed the sentiment the other night. I will check the Hyundai electric options as blending of ice&ev is very hard.

I would have been all over Tesla if the updated 3 had not had the lever for drive removed and added to the iPad screen. That to me is a disaster waiting to happen.

As for the mainstream cars burying their heads in the sand, yes possibly but remember the automotive industry is very much governed by safety and implementation of electric needs to be done safely.
At JLR the factories they had could not take the assembly weights of the chassis battery and body when married. So that’s why they are built in Europe. Also the battery was sourced at 30k units a year which was pointless they should have sourced more and had Land Rover, Range Rover and Jaguar products off the skate board… but the management are pretty useless at JLR.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t doubt the South Korean technology for batteries but this Kia we have on the drive at the moment is abysmal. It’s been a real disappointment and unexpectedly so.
I did test a Hyundai hybrid and it just could not decide which power source it wanted to use. I hadn’t mentioned this to anyone but my wife, but a friend echoed the sentiment the other night. I will check the Hyundai electric options as blending of ice&ev is very hard.

I would have been all over Tesla if the updated 3 had not had the lever for drive removed and added to the iPad screen. That to me is a disaster waiting to happen.

As for the mainstream cars burying their heads in the sand, yes possibly but remember the automotive industry is very much governed by safety and implementation of electric needs to be done safely.
At JLR the factories they had could not take the assembly weights of the chassis battery and body when married. So that’s why they are built in Europe. Also the battery was sourced at 30k units a year which was pointless they should have sourced more and had Land Rover, Range Rover and Jaguar products off the skate board… but the management are pretty useless at JLR.

It does feel like the more they put in cars the more goes wrong easily and more duffers you get. Touch wood haven't had any issues with the Kia or Kona yet however the Corsa we had was a ticking time bomb of issues. Only 1 was EV related. Just build quality was awful. So much so I personally would avoid their whole group but then Jim on here has a Peugeot with zero issues

The behind touch screen issue lead me to the Kia for the long term as it has the haptic buttons compared to the others that hide behind a screen.

On a side note this is useful from octopus this weekend

Screenshot_2024-08-25-08-44-05-13_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b.jpg

I'll be charging the car fully Monday night then

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If you are looking at BMW then iX 40 is a brilliant car .. much better than iX3 .. a second hand iX may be a better deal. Been using it for about 9 months and love it (still getting used to the charging life style)

Kia EV6/9 comes higher rated than BMW

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am now a year in with the Peugeot E- 2008 and in the main in has not disappointed for the type of driving I do in the main, biggest disappointment being high speed range e.g. long motorway trips.

I see the e3008 has a far greater range and they now offer an 8 year warranty on major parts but I presume this is an extra payment. but in the past I have found their offers of extending the warranty after the initial 3 years year on year to be very reasonable.
Still struggling to work out screen controls fully but keep forgetting there are switches as well. :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am now a year in with the Peugeot E- 2008 and in the main in has not disappointed for the type of driving I do in the main, biggest disappointment being high speed range e.g. long motorway trips.

I see the e3008 has a far greater range and they now offer an 8 year warranty on major parts but I presume this is an extra payment. but in the past I have found their offers of extending the warranty after the initial 3 years year on year to be very reasonable.
Still struggling to work out screen controls fully but keep forgetting there are switches as well. :LOL:

I'd fully recommend extending that warranty, I went with warranty direct think it was £200 for the year (my Corsa was 6 months old when the lease company delivered it to me because of COVID) anyways 1 month out of warranty. Window regulator £450 repair (they covered it I had to pay out first then got money back next month) when I canceled the warranty as I had given back the car they refunded me £100 aswell! Bargain

That's what put me off the car that 1 month out of a pathetic 3 year warranty a window regulator (on passenger side so not as well used) failed? And my (at time) 8 year old seat was working perfectly on the drive next to it. Put me off the build quality

Real gripe for me with all cars. If you trust your work put a minimum 5 year warranty on your product..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So on way back from a lovely weekend away in Bournemouth (stayed in the Newcastle players hotel.. didn't realise until we left. Saw Eddie Howe getting on the bus)

Stopped at Winchester north for a charge on way home. First attempt via the gridserve app failed. As did second. (Only using app for 20% off) Moved car to another charger to see if it was charger. Failed again. Just used my card.. fine .. we plugged in with 23% we have been stopped 30 mins and we are at 65% just enough time for a relaxing cup of tea and a wee

Mrs having a second wee and we will prob leave with 70% which will be more than enough to get home

Quick add the niro limits charge to 80kwh max speed. So these 237kwh chargers will only put in that. If I had say a Tesla or the ev6 id of added that within 15 mins but it suits us. We don't do these trips often

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd fully recommend extending that warranty, I went with warranty direct think it was £200 for the year (my Corsa was 6 months old when the lease company delivered it to me because of COVID) anyways 1 month out of warranty. Window regulator £450 repair (they covered it I had to pay out first then got money back next month) when I canceled the warranty as I had given back the car they refunded me £100 aswell! Bargain

That's what put me off the car that 1 month out of a pathetic 3 year warranty a window regulator (on passenger side so not as well used) failed? And my (at time) 8 year old seat was working perfectly on the drive next to it. Put me off the build quality

Real gripe for me with all cars. If you trust your work put a minimum 5 year warranty on your product..

The deal offered by Peugeot themselves has always been a lot cheaper than the warranty specialist and does not have 'we do not cover clauses" found in them.
It will be interesting to see what the charge is on an EV as I have always had diesel or petrol in the past.

Best I ever had from Peugeot was a complete new gearbox with just 2 months warranty left on the initial 3 years, that was on my first ever one many years ago now.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The deal offered by Peugeot themselves has always been a lot cheaper than the warranty specialist and does not have 'we do not cover clauses" found in them.
It will be interesting to see what the charge is on an EV as I have always had diesel or petrol in the past.

Best I ever had from Peugeot was a complete new gearbox with just 2 months warranty left on the initial 3 years, that was on my first ever one many years ago now.
I always thought that about VW and their own extended from new warranties, until they said a drive shaft coupling screwing up in the gearbox meaning a new DSG gearbox and drive shaft was "wear and tear" and not covered.