The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Charging apps, parking apps. There should be one over riding app that the pays the provider. The multiple app system is a real pain and an error of a system.

We need a governing body, govt or trade association to clank some heads together

This is where Tesla basically wins the debate. Use their chargers which are fast and affordable. Also well located

They are just plug and play , the app has your card stored and just charges you when you plug in.

If people drive distance, Tesla is the choice

We don't do mega distance often so a quick route plan for Bournemouth in couple weeks and I've got charger a b and c lined up in my head.

@Mudball BMW are talking out their bum. Frunks are useful for all kinds of things. Considering how much spare space is available under the hood due to the lack of engine parts it's wasted to not do something with it!

I found electroverse card didn't work when I tried it but the app instantly started the charger which was odd, I'd of had it the other way round

Back from our 80 mile day, we have 73% so easily could have done with the 61% left .. would have had 34% now which could have got me to golf tomorrow, to swimming Monday and park Tuesday and then to work Tuesday night before charging there .

I been tracking my milage and charging costs across both cars since Feb

The Kona has done 550 miles and I've spent £10.15 charging it at home

The Kia has done 5868 miles and I've spent £79.93 charging it.. (£60.19 at public chargers £19.74 at home)

But my mates enjoying his Tesla and he is just using public chargers. Suiting both of us. Him doing more miles and using public charging and me doing half the miles and just charging at home. If you have a rapid charger near your home or work it does help.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

The Kia has done 5868 miles and I've spent £79.93 charging it.. (£60.19 at public chargers £19.74 at home)
I'm confused.
From your figures, you've paid 1.8p/mile for the Kona, and only 1.3p/mile for the Kia, even though you've used public charging.
Have you been able to charge the Kia at a free charger (eg. at work)?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm confused.
From your figures, you've paid 1.8p/mile for the Kona, and only 1.3p/mile for the Kia, even though you've used public charging.
Have you been able to charge the Kia at a free charger (eg. at work)?

Yes , my golf course has free charging so I do a lot of charging there during my rounds

Whilst it remains free I'll use it, there is talks of upgrades to make it a proper super charger which would then be managed and paid for by another company and people could use the bar to get lunch whilst they charge but not happened yet

I could easily drive my wife's car once a month to it and fill it up whilst I play golf but can't be bothered

We have 5 charges ATM the most I've ever seen used is 4, the GM and the club pro both use it then normally me and 1 other lol (altho my mate will start using it now)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Charging apps, parking apps. There should be one over riding app that the pays the provider. The multiple app system is a real pain and an error of a system.

We need a governing body, govt or trade association to clank some heads together
Zap map goes white away in to that with ZapPay

As I understand it .

Also every charger I have used (but it is not that many) allows use of contactless card payments.

Funniest thing is that my first encounter at the local tesco that needed an app (old system been there years ) is out of range for the shops wifi.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Zap map goes white away in to that with ZapPay

As I understand it .

Isn't it all new chargers have to offer contactless? Believe that law was passed a while ago. Apps were a terrible idea for it. Contactless is simple. More people have it and a lot have on their phones anyways so it's the same as an app

The apps a nice idea but nah

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I agree... but if i comment on the Govt's ability to build an app, then it will end in an infraction :)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is where Tesla basically wins the debate. Use their chargers which are fast and affordable. Also well located

They are just plug and play , the app has your card stored and just charges you when you plug in.

If people drive distance, Tesla is the choice

We don't do mega distance often so a quick route plan for Bournemouth in couple weeks and I've got charger a b and c lined up in my head.

@Mudball BMW are talking out their bum. Frunks are useful for all kinds of things. Considering how much spare space is available under the hood due to the lack of engine parts it's wasted to not do something with it!

I found electroverse card didn't work when I tried it but the app instantly started the charger which was odd, I'd of had it the other way round

Back from our 80 mile day, we have 73% so easily could have done with the 61% left .. would have had 34% now which could have got me to golf tomorrow, to swimming Monday and park Tuesday and then to work Tuesday night before charging there .

But my mates enjoying his Tesla and he is just using public chargers. Suiting both of us. Him doing more miles and using public charging and me doing half the miles and just charging at home. If you have a rapid charger near your home or work it does help.
Do you need 2 cars? Looking at those mileages, could you ditch one?

3 jabber

Visit site
Yes , my golf course has free charging so I do a lot of charging there during my rounds

Whilst it remains free I'll use it, there is talks of upgrades to make it a proper super charger which would then be managed and paid for by another company and people could use the bar to get lunch whilst they charge but not happened yet

I could easily drive my wife's car once a month to it and fill it up whilst I play golf but can't be bothered

We have 5 charges ATM the most I've ever seen used is 4, the GM and the club pro both use it then normally me and 1 other lol (altho my mate will start using it now)
Let's compare apples with pears.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you need 2 cars? Looking at those mileages, could you ditch one?

She who must be obeyed wanted a car so when im working she can take the kids out. Or when I'm nights if anything happened with the kids she can take them hospital

I'm happy to pay it, costs under £1000 a year to insure, charge, service so if it keeps her happy I'm happy

We sold the "big car " I said to her pick whatever EV you fancy in that budget as she never fills them up (petrols that is, magic car she called it ) so now I just charge it once a month for her

I get her point , kids especially in the holidays she's out every day if I'm at work

Last edited:

stevied

Visit site
Spot on for me

In 8 days we are off down to Somerset to have time there with the parents , whilst there we will be going all over , there will be not one single worry about the car beyond popping into the garage before we go to ensure it’s got a full tank

It’s a holiday , all about relaxing , shouldn’t need a full blown military organisation to take into account where and when to plug a car in
As a father of three all our holidays have required full blown military organization.🤣🤣on the charging side it's no big deal, clearly mud ball was very apprehensive and that's ok. I just drove to Cornwall from cambs and made 1 stop. I was able to granny charge at the farmhouse but had I not been able to then there were plenty of fast chargers I could have used. It's not law that you have to charge on site where you stay. ! Beyond that all my drives are rarely more than 100 mile round trip and I charge at home for peanuts. Over 5k miles driven in it so far and I've probs spent 160 on fuel.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a father of three all our holidays have required full blown military organization.🤣🤣on the charging side it's no big deal, clearly mud ball was very apprehensive and that's ok. I just drove to Cornwall from cambs and made 1 stop. I was able to granny charge at the farmhouse but had I not been able to then there were plenty of fast chargers I could have used. It's not law that you have to charge on site where you stay. ! Beyond that all my drives are rarely more than 100 mile round trip and I charge at home for peanuts. Over 5k miles driven in it so far and I've probs spent 160 on fuel.

What ev do you have? Im finding with the kids being young their bladder is stopping us quicker than the car does

stevied

Visit site

Tesla are opening more of their chargers to non Tesla , I used those and the new ones are contactless, but the app is easy too.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a jaaaaaaaaaag.

We have a trip just me and the wife to Bournemouth coming up, we are on countdown, the car will make it there and most of way back. Couple chargers in town that will do if not just one the motorway ones on way home will be fine.. anyways looking forward to not stopping for a wee every hour lol 🤣

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having spent over 30 years in the military, this usually means late and over budget 🤣

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Test drove the Honda eNy1 today, impressive power sadly it wallowed like a hippo in a muddy pool, so was scared to use the power.
Range of 230 miles so it's a no from me.
Worked out that the mild hybrid I'd only need to fill 8 times a year so can't even justify the additional cost of the EV so would have discounted it anyway

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There is an hour of free electricity tomorrow with octopus. So if you are eligible and signed up, between 1pm and 2pm everything you use above what you usually use is free.

Or drain the house battery to the grid and refill during the slot.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is an hour of free electricity tomorrow with octopus. So if you are eligible and signed up, between 1pm and 2pm everything you use above what you usually use is free.

Or drain the house battery to the grid and refill during the slot.

I saw it aswell. Tempted to set up the car to put in 7kw plus do the battery

Tbh if I wasn't on nights and being asleep I'd do it and try and charge both cars a bit!!