The all things EV chat thread

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
2nd thought, not worth it if you have solar.

You can charge 7kWh for free instead of 7p, that’s 49p max and you are also generating at the time which you would usually export at 15p a kWh.

I think this is really more for people who don’t have home storage to move their cooking, washing and hoovering into that hour.

It’s the winter one which is for demand shifting via battery

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2nd thought, not worth it if you have solar.

You can charge 7kWh for free instead of 7p, that’s 49p max and you are also generating at the time which you would usually export at 15p a kWh.

I think this is really more for people who don’t have home storage to move their cooking, washing and hoovering into that hour.

It’s the winter one which is for demand shifting via battery

Yeah I didnt bother in the end. Woke up at 13:00 anyways and I was exporting. I couldnt be bothered to go plug the car in as really id lose my export for those hours and just save 20p really.

been planning our weekend away next weekend. 285 mile round trip so whilst the car can do 300 it most likely wont so got my chargers sorted.. there are 2 near the hotel 52p a kwh (11kw charger) .. linked to electroverse so can use my octopus credit.. however.. im paying £15 a night to park at the hotel.. everything in the city is walkable.. I could drive to dinner and the show we have booked and leave it charging for that time but the parking chargers are roughly £20.. seems pointless to pay £20 extra parking when I can walk.. so looking on grid serve (they have 20% off through the app atm) its better for us to just have a 20 min break on the way home.. plenty of grid serve locations on the m3 and the m25 .. in that 20 mins I can add just over 15kwh to the car.. costing about £12 (cheaper with the discount) .. which will get us home again.

obviously there is the way down aswell as I doubt my wife can make the drive without needing a wee lol so I can top up there aswell and still be cheaper than paying that parking. (quick edit fleet services is 1 hour 40 mins from us, she will no doubt want to have a break so that could be perfect to add a few Kwhs for the way home) bit of gracing

not one ive had to deal with before but then it is a coastal town.. car parks cost

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any feedback on the below chargers. Two options via a friend in the trade as stupid cost reductions:

EASEE Ec001

Rolec 4140 leaded version.

Both app controlled with what looks like the same tech. if I went easee id buy a second lead and lock it in via the app, the integral lead worries me about potential repair costs down the line or if theft of leads on resi units becomes a thing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any feedback on the below chargers. Two options via a friend in the trade as stupid cost reductions:

EASEE Ec001

Rolec 4140 leaded version.

Both app controlled with what looks like the same tech. if I went easee id buy a second lead and lock it in via the app, the integral lead worries me about potential repair costs down the line or if theft of leads on resi units becomes a thing.

Rolec are very basic not highly rated chargers tbh

The EASEE Ec001 are well rated and a doddle to install apparently, very smart in the sense you can install two together and they will work in unison charging both at half speed until one car is done then ramp up over to keep the amps down

I'd say that's a good option especially if you can lock the cable in

Eon drive tariff does 7 hours at night at 7p a kWh I think it is so no need for smart charging so no need for a compatible charger if you can do cheaper

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah I didnt bother in the end. Woke up at 13:00 anyways and I was exporting. I couldnt be bothered to go plug the car in as really id lose my export for those hours and just save 20p really.

been planning our weekend away next weekend. 285 mile round trip so whilst the car can do 300 it most likely wont so got my chargers sorted.. there are 2 near the hotel 52p a kwh (11kw charger) .. linked to electroverse so can use my octopus credit.. however.. im paying £15 a night to park at the hotel.. everything in the city is walkable.. I could drive to dinner and the show we have booked and leave it charging for that time but the parking chargers are roughly £20.. seems pointless to pay £20 extra parking when I can walk.. so looking on grid serve (they have 20% off through the app atm) its better for us to just have a 20 min break on the way home.. plenty of grid serve locations on the m3 and the m25 .. in that 20 mins I can add just over 15kwh to the car.. costing about £12 (cheaper with the discount) .. which will get us home again.

obviously there is the way down aswell as I doubt my wife can make the drive without needing a wee lol so I can top up there aswell and still be cheaper than paying that parking. (quick edit fleet services is 1 hour 40 mins from us, she will no doubt want to have a break so that could be perfect to add a few Kwhs for the way home) bit of gracing

not one ive had to deal with before but then it is a coastal town.. car parks cost
Surely a weekend break should be relaxing, not something that needs more planning than the D-Day landings :ROFLMAO:

stevied

Visit site
Test drove the Honda eNy1 today, impressive power sadly it wallowed like a hippo in a muddy pool, so was scared to use the power.
Range of 230 miles so it's a no from me.
Worked out that the mild hybrid I'd only need to fill 8 times a year so can't even justify the additional cost of the EV so would have discounted it anyway
That's odd as EVs have really good weight distribution and a low centre of gravity in general. 230 range is pretty reasonable and more than enough for most I'd think and you can stop and add more very quickly if you need to.

stevied

Visit site
Surely a weekend break should be relaxing, not something that needs more planning than the D-Day landings :ROFLMAO:
Its like a pre shot routine, if you right it down it looks long winded, but the reality of owning an EV is, I was going to say not much different to ICE, but that's not true. Its better than my old ICE in every way and I can safely say I'll never go back.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its like a pre shot routine, if you right it down it looks long winded, but the reality of owning an EV is, I was going to say not much different to ICE, but that's not true. Its better than my old ICE in every way and I can safely say I'll never go back.
The way PJ87 plans is nothing like a PSR - he cleans his bag, clubs, balls before repacking the bag, then grades his tees, sharpening those that need it, checks the stitching on his glove (and spare, rain gloves, cold weather gloves). He then checks 14 weather apps and chooses his clothing carefully, making sure his spikes are tight in his shoes. I bet he even irons his lucky golf underwear and sock - ankle length of course. this is all before he sets of for the course :ROFLMAO:

All tongue in cheek, obviously

3 jabber

Visit site
I quite fancy an EV but can't get my head around owning a car when it's 10 years old, the batteries have a range of 50 miles and it has virtually zero 2nd hand value.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I quite fancy an EV but can't get my head around owning a car when it's 10 years old, the batteries have a range of 50 miles and it has virtually zero 2nd hand value.
Yes it really comes down to your car buying practice. For many years I have either bought either new or nearly new cars and keeping them at most 5 years.
New electric cars come with warranties for the battery life, mine for example guarantees 70% of original state for health after 7 years.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
most cars have a warranty on batteries for 8 years.
If battery level will go bellow 70% from brand new they will replace it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don't see much difference from picking the hotel, seeing what's happening in town and booking the restaurant and show thus far. They took me far longer!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. I love a plan. Just can help it. Friends of ours are up in September to visit she hasn't even booked her hotel yet where as I've already worked out a date for April for us to go down and booked our hotel 🤣

But anyways I agree it's hands down the best car I've owned. Second best is the wife's Kona. I prefer how they drive, the smoothness , instant power if needed. I haven't yet found an issue that's put me off. 36000 miles in 3.5 years thus far combined since I made the switch and like you said I wouldn't go back. The wife liked the way the Corsa drove so much (even tho it was built poorly) that we got her the Kona and she wouldn't go back. So convenient for her.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. I love a plan. Just can help it. Friends of ours are up in September to visit she hasn't even booked her hotel yet where as I've already worked out a date for April for us to go down and booked our hotel 🤣

But anyways I agree it's hands down the best car I've owned. Second best is the wife's Kona. I prefer how they drive, the smoothness , instant power if needed. I haven't yet found an issue that's put me off. 36000 miles in 3.5 years thus far combined since I made the switch and like you said I wouldn't go back. The wife liked the way the Corsa drove so much (even tho it was built poorly) that we got her the Kona and she wouldn't go back. So convenient for her.
You have proved many a time on this thread that you love to plan things - I'm sure you enjoy the planning more than the things you are planning for :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have proved many a time on this thread that you love to plan things - I'm sure you enjoy the planning more than the things you are planning for :ROFLMAO:

100%. Although a weekend away from the kids is already 100% more relaxing as don't have to keep them entertained

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When my car first came out in 2018 it claimed 168 mile range.
When I last charged it to 100% it read 150 miles of range
So it has lost 18 miles in 6 years.
On those figures, when it's 10 years old it will have 138 miles of range
However, if you buy a 10 year old car today then your numbers might be nearer the truth.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When my car first came out in 2018 it claimed 168 mile range.
When I last charged it to 100% it read 150 miles of range
So it has lost 18 miles in 6 years.
On those figures, when it's 10 years old it will have 138 miles of range
However, if you buy a 10 year old car today then your numbers might be nearer the truth.

My wife's car when I purchased it in February was 3.5 years old. It has 97% reported battery health and had done 45k mile so a fairly above average use still with a very good state of battery health ..

Then there is the extreme case of an 8 year old Tesla that's done 430k miles and the battery has only degraded 28% which considering the miles is outstanding

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Then there is the extreme case of an 8 year old Tesla that's done 430k miles and the battery has only degraded 28% which considering the miles is outstanding
Surely that cant be true......430,000miles in 8 years? 😮
That's over 1000 miles ever week for 8 years.

I thought EVs were only good for short journeys? :whistle:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely that cant be true......430,000miles in 8 years? 😮
That's over 1000 miles ever week for 8 years.

I thought EVs were only good for short journeys? :whistle:

Airport taxi according to the article, I suppose they do a fair bit of milage! Impressive none the less.

As an aside I did a bit of testing last week as I was off with the kids. Played in a pro am the Monday at my club and used the chargers there. Left with 100% we then had a week of here there and everywhere. Including parking down my driveway for 1 blooming hour using air compressors to blow up a blooming paddling pool lol 🤣 took forever. So obviously that wasn't very efficient as I left the air con on keeping me cool whilst I blew it up on the hottest day .. the car did 250 miles on 100% worth of battery. Which is 3.85 miles per kwh on our week out. When I go to work and back it's even more efficient as the roads are 50mph max speed and it's all very smooth solid driving.

That said on a 64.8kwh battery I'll take that .. that's a livable real world range for me.

Obviously I could have just charged every night but I just wanted to see how far I could push it for reference (plus school holidays I need something to do that I can do with the kids about!)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rolec are very basic not highly rated chargers tbh

The EASEE Ec001 are well rated and a doddle to install apparently, very smart in the sense you can install two together and they will work in unison charging both at half speed until one car is done then ramp up over to keep the amps down

I'd say that's a good option especially if you can lock the cable in

Eon drive tariff does 7 hours at night at 7p a kWh I think it is so no need for smart charging so no need for a compatible charger if you can do cheaper

I was leaning that way as I find the Rolec is an ugly bit of kit and still carry gripes with the product from my previous job. I was prepared to swallow my pride if the tech outweighed it… but seems it doesn’t.

Interestingly, the EASEE also supports 22kw charging if you have a three phase supply.