The all things EV chat thread

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Two bits of news today....

1. I ordered an EV for the missus which arrives tomorrow, it's going to go one of two ways as she's absolutely rubbish with technology. As long as nothing goes wrong and it's all set up for her (which I will do) I think she'll enjoy it.
2. Octopus Intelligent Go is now apparently available for my charger however the app doesn't seem to have been updated so cannot switch to that tariff. 7p per/kWh for 6 hours will make a dent in the charging costs as presently paying 15p.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two bits of news today....

1. I ordered an EV for the missus which arrives tomorrow, it's going to go one of two ways as she's absolutely rubbish with technology. As long as nothing goes wrong and it's all set up for her (which I will do) I think she'll enjoy it.
2. Octopus Intelligent Go is now apparently available for my charger however the app doesn't seem to have been updated so cannot switch to that tariff. 7p per/kWh for 6 hours will make a dent in the charging costs as presently paying 15p.

1 which one?

2. Which charger?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
1 which one?

2. Which charger?

Kia Niro EV 3 - got a good lease deal on it and as it'll go through the company saves us a few £££ by now having to personally pay to keep a motor going.

Hypervolt Home 3 Pro - the website says that I'm good to go and directs me to the app which tells me that there are only 3 chargers that work and mine isn't one of them!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kia Niro EV 3 - got a good lease deal on it and as it'll go through the company saves us a few £££ by now having to personally pay to keep a motor going.

Hypervolt Home 3 Pro - the website says that I'm good to go and directs me to the app which tells me that there are only 3 chargers that work and mine isn't one of them!

That's annoying, reach out to them on twitter

Excellent car. Really love mine (I've got the 4 just because I wanted the electric tailgate lol)

For someone who doesn't do tech it will be fine tbh .. long as she can do the charging then your fine ...because everything is pretty easy as a car if you don't want to go into it much

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's annoying, reach out to them on twitter

Excellent car. Really love mine (I've got the 4 just because I wanted the electric tailgate lol)

For someone who doesn't do tech it will be fine tbh .. long as she can do the charging then your fine ...because everything is pretty easy as a car if you don't want to go into it much

Yep, on the case, apparently they're having to raise it with their smart tariff team so we'll see what happens.

She'll be charging at home, can't imagine she'll ever need to charge on the road so there shouldn't be any issues. It'll be a step up from her Juke which I've now been tasked to sell.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, costs me about £10.00 to 'fill up' and that gives me 255 miles, I like the idea of filling up for just over a fiver!!

What car is yours again? Kia EV 6 was it or the Hyundai inonic 5?

On intelligent they only let one car be controlled by them but it just means the other one dumb charges. Can still use the cheap rate

For me it's simple on ohme it's not connected to my car so just act like their the same car

Mates picked up his tesla today. No charger at home at all he can use (flat) he's going to use the supercharger network. Does 20k a year he's done the numbers works for him

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What car is yours again? Kia EV 6 was it or the Hyundai inonic 5?

On intelligent they only let one car be controlled by them but it just means the other one dumb charges. Can still use the cheap rate

For me it's simple on ohme it's not connected to my car so just act like their the same car

Mates picked up his tesla today. No charger at home at all he can use (flat) he's going to use the supercharger network. Does 20k a year he's done the numbers works for him

It's an Ioniq 5 which, like the Kia still isn't compatible with the Octopus tariff. The charger now is apparently but they just need to update the app.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's an Ioniq 5 which, like the Kia still isn't compatible with the Octopus tariff. The charger now is apparently but they just need to update the app.

They will never get the kias and Hyundai back on the list. More cars are leaving the list as manufacturers are not allowing 3rd party access to their API so chargers are the way forward

Kia and Hyundai however is some models it was waking the car every 30 mins to check the state of battery and some batteries (12 volt) were draining so they took them off to take that situation away and honoured those still on the tariff but no new sign ups

I changed my charger to ohme to make sure I could get on it and works fantastic now

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
£15/20,15p per Kwh is still good...about 5p per mile
A litre of diesel in an ICE car that does 50mpg is about 13-15p per mile.
You are absolutely right Bob. By going EV I could save about 10p per mile in fuel costs. On my approx 4,000 miles per year that would be about £400. It's just a shame that I would have to outlay about £15/18,000 after trade in to get a suitable 2nd hand EV when there is nothing wrong with my diesel. Repayment time on fuel costs alone about 40 years! Of course, that doesn't take into account greater insurance costs, likely much higher depreciation especially coming up to 8/10 years old, etc.

EV's are a no brainer for some as we well know from some of the apostles on here and other places. For the majority though I would suggest that at the moment it definitely doesn't make financial or ecological sense unless there is a need to change your car when it might be worth considering.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are absolutely right Bob. By going EV I could save about 10p per mile in fuel costs. On my approx 4,000 miles per year that would be about £400. It's just a shame that I would have to outlay about £15/18,000 after trade in to get a suitable 2nd hand EV when there is nothing wrong with my diesel. Repayment time on fuel costs alone about 40 years! Of course, that doesn't take into account greater insurance costs, likely much higher depreciation especially coming up to 8/10 years old, etc.

EV's are a no brainer for some as we well know from some of the apostles on here and other places. For the majority though I would suggest that at the moment it definitely doesn't make financial or ecological sense unless there is a need to change your car when it might be worth considering.

Why does anyone buy a new car when staying with their current makes most financial sense

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's just a shame that I would have to outlay about £15/18,000 after trade in to get a suitable 2nd hand EV when there is nothing wrong with my diesel.
Don't buy one then.
Repayment time on fuel costs alone about 40 years! Of course, that doesn't take into account greater insurance costs, likely much higher depreciation especially coming up to 8/10 years old, etc.

Ok, so you'd rather spend £20k on an ICE car. Fine, I've no problem with that. It's your money. How long would the repayment time be on it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. How long would the repayment time be on it?

Couldn't believe the savings My playing partner would make on his Tesla even with just charging at their super chargers

He wanted a new car anyways , went second hand so price was similar. He said he was impressed by the standard spec of the long range

Because he does 20k miles a year he will save £800 a year in fuel even just saving 4p a mile. That's why he went Tesla not another brand because of their network

Then his insurance actually went down (had a 60 plate Audi estate before, nothing too fancy)

And his servicing costs drop dramatically because Tesla is a firm believer that EVs only needing filter changes and tyres rather than services (Kia could learn from them)

His savings will be more whenever he gets the cut price charges at the superchargers if he goes off peak or if he gets A charge whilst we playing golf . He has no way to home charge in his current place but if he comes round mine he can charge from mine. Even the full day rate will be reasonable for him so always welcome

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They will never get the kias and Hyundai back on the list. More cars are leaving the list as manufacturers are not allowing 3rd party access to their API so chargers are the way forward

Kia and Hyundai however is some models it was waking the car every 30 mins to check the state of battery and some batteries (12 volt) were draining so they took them off to take that situation away and honoured those still on the tariff but no new sign ups

I changed my charger to ohme to make sure I could get on it and works fantastic now
Ah, that's annoying about the car specific aspect, I thought it was just a question of waiting and eventually they would get there. Fortunately it looks like Hypervolt are going to be added by the beginning of September so I can make the switch within the coming month or so.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah, that's annoying about the car specific aspect, I thought it was just a question of waiting and eventually they would get there. Fortunately it looks like Hypervolt are going to be added by the beginning of September so I can make the switch within the coming month or so.

It seems a hardware upgrade would be needed to fix the issue with Kia rather than software so it wasnt cost effective

Good news about your charger. They are bringing more and more charges in

Easier to talk to them than a car as the chargers have WiFi

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And his servicing costs drop dramatically because Tesla is a firm believer that EVs only needing filter changes and tyres rather than services (Kia could learn from them)

And Hyundai. There second year service cost went up to £290 this year (I know some dealerships who've tried for closer to £400) which is ridiculous given what is actually involved with EV servicing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And Hyundai. There second year service cost went up to £290 this year (I know some dealerships who've tried for closer to £400) which is ridiculous given what is actually involved with EV servicing.

The first year service is a joke on early ev. £80 some places. I got it for £50 .. it's literally an inspection

Luckily my Kia doesn't need it because it's optional now

Tesla definitely a winner there

Lol my mates just sent me a pic of his road trip today in his new car. He's charging watching rick shiels on his big tablet thing they have as their entertainment thing. 15 min and he's off again to explore .. certainly embracing it

Last edited: