The all things EV chat thread

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
All kinds of solutions have been presented and worked through

Flats with shared chargers that bill to the person's flat after charging

Lampost chargers installed in roads for people to use

BT converting old green phone cabinates to chargers

Cable runs in pavements to run chargers through

Some people out there charge once a week when they do their shopping and pay for it there

Plenty of solutions for people with an open mind.
Who is paying for all that ?

And how many are active in the real world right now ?

How many of those options are realistic

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very poor

Sorry but your first to poo poo everything but refuse to actually look into it when your in the wrong.

Over 8000 lampost chargers in London alone already.

BT already doing the green boxes

Covered by grants in a lot of cases

My dear old aunt's sheltered accomodation have installed 8 chargers for residents aswell.

So plenty of solutions out there , in live situations and working now.

Just have to open your eyes.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Sorry but your first to poo poo everything but refuse to actually look into it when your in the wrong.

Over 8000 lampost chargers in London alone already.

BT already doing the green boxes

Covered by grants in a lot of cases

My dear old aunt's sheltered accomodation have installed 8 chargers for residents aswell.

So plenty of solutions out there , in live situations and working now.

Just have to open your eyes.

But it’s not there for everyone which is the point you just fail to see

Grants etc etc - it’s all costing someone and the user will also have to pay up

The whole point is an EV is not practical for “everyone” - there are still many barriers in place for “everyone” to own an EV car and that also includes travelling around as well as home parking

Until all those barriers are removed for everyone then it’s still more practical for 99% of the population to own an ICE car - you are not required to defend every single situation where someone highlighted a real life situation where owning an EV hasn’t been practical and it’s causing more hassle than it’s worth

This is a thread for all talk about EVs and that includes negatives and barriers that people still have with owning one

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Grants etc etc - it’s all costing someone and the user will also have to pay up

The whole point is an EV is not practical for “everyone” - there are still many barriers in place for “everyone” to own an EV car and that also includes travelling around as well as home parking

Until all those barriers are removed for everyone then it’s still more practical for 99% of the population to own an ICE car - you are not required to defend every single situation where someone highlighted a real life situation where owning an EV hasn’t been practical and it’s causing more hassle than it’s worth

Phillip, you can go round and round in circles forever. Your just repeating the same tired old comments which are getting less and less true each time you peddle them out when your bored and on the wind up.

So good day 😁

stevied

Visit site
Ditched the straight 6 beemer in April and bought an approved used iPace from JLR. 2 year warranty, free charger included and installed. I'm paying 7p per kWh to charge and lots of cheap leccy for the house too. So much nonsense about charging times. If you're getting a new car and have a drive then to me it's really a no brainer to get an EV.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it nonsense?

Do you not include the cost of buying the vehicle when you package to cost ?

Is it also not about £1k to install a charger as well

Until all things are truely equal in terms of price , real life practicability then people will go for ICE cars

And there is no doubt that imo governments will find a way to find something to plug the financial gap when it comes to car tax and any fuel duty

I only drive about 6k a year and have worked out the charger cost will be covered in less than a year.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMG20240720184858_copy_1024x1365.jpglove that designers are starting to embrace Tesla ideas and using space wisely. My charging port is below the badge , simple 3 light system to give an idea from a glance battery level but rather than muck about with cables in the boot I put my most used cable in the "frunk" (front trunk) easily accessible and just throw the lead in and go. Obviously at home I have tethered so even quicker. Throw in a cheeky golf towel for cleaning the cable in the winter

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 54286love that designers are starting to embrace Tesla ideas and using space wisely. My charging port is below the badge , simple 3 light system to give an idea from a glance battery level but rather than muck about with cables in the boot I put my most used cable in the "frunk" (front trunk) easily accessible and just throw the lead in and go. Obviously at home I have tethered so even quicker. Throw in a cheeky golf towel for cleaning the cable in the winter
Just wanted to ask about the cover on the charge port. It looks plastic, very similar to the one on my daughter's MG ZSEV. On the MG the cover is VERY vulnerable and easily broken off - which happened to my daughter. But even worse is the unbelievable faff required to fix it. Basically about £400 in labour costs to dismantle most of the front of the car. It's a shocking design fubar. Hope your KIA isn't like that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just wanted to ask about the cover on the charge port. It looks plastic, very similar to the one on my daughter's MG ZSEV. On the MG the cover is VERY vulnerable and easily broken off - which happened to my daughter. But even worse is the unbelievable faff required to fix it. Basically about £400 in labour costs to dismantle most of the front of the car. It's a shocking design fubar. Hope your KIA isn't like that.

Dealing with dealers can be make and break with a car. Vauxhall were awful to deal with even a simple service.

It is plastic yes, isn't too bad flimsy wise. I can only really compare to what I've had. It's more sturdy than the wife's Kona for example that seems slightly weaker, but then that's previous model so they learn each time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We do see, NO-ONE is saying they are perfect for everyone
Yes we know, EVs are not practical for everyone. Yet.
And we know that the range isn't long enough for some
And we know that they are more expensive than their ICE counterparts
And we know that not everyone can charge at home
And we know that there aren't enough working public chargers
And we know that some people prefer the sound of a real engine

But every car/battery manufacturer out there knows it as well which is why they are working hard to make EVs more practical for more people

When I first started looking at buying an EV, there were around 500 chargers being installed every month, now they are installing 500 chargers every week.
The range of the first popular EV (Nissan Leaf) was around 80 miles. Perfect for a few, useless for many.
The new model will do 239 miles, perfect for many, useless for a few.

Soon (sooner than many think) there will be chargers everywhere you can park a car. The range will be over 300 miles and charging will take the same time as a weekly shop.

But if you don't want one, don't buy one.
Wait until 2034, buy a brand new V8 and keep it for ever.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So Tash is going through the flippin stressful process of looking for another car. My favourite is the SEAT ATECA at the moment but a pal had the Kia ev summat or other. It’s a thing of beauty. Shame it has been in the garage for over a month wanting a new wiring loom. Anyway he has a Kia Niro as a courtesy car. So hopefully I am going over today to have a look at it. I think it’s a hybrid so it kinda ticks boxes.if I do go down that route minimum speck would be a Niro 3.

Watch this space.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ditched the straight 6 beemer in April and bought an approved used iPace from JLR. 2 year warranty, free charger included and installed. I'm paying 7p per kWh to charge and lots of cheap leccy for the house too. So much nonsense about charging times. If you're getting a new car and have a drive then to me it's really a no brainer to get an EV.
I was looking at doing this, saw a nice “frozen” blue black edition i-Pace at a decent price.

Problem came when JLR PX valued my 840 and came in £3k under what BM are offering (which is closer to market) to PX against a M340 Touring that I also like.

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Time for a new challenge, not long ago did 1k trip in electric car over the weekend to play golf.
Beginning of September will be doing 3k round trip to Poland over 4 days in my tesla.
Will be interesting how much longer it will take in the electric car.
From the initial planning it seems traffic wise the worst part of the journey will be from Aberdeen to Eurotunnel.
Was thinking about taking our diesel car but I have plenty of free supercharging miles left to use that expiring at the end of the year.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Time for a new challenge, not long ago did 1k trip in electric car over the weekend to play golf.
Beginning of September will be doing 3k round trip to Poland over 4 days in my tesla.
Will be interesting how much longer it will take in the electric car.
From the initial planning it seems traffic wise the worst part of the journey will be from Aberdeen to Eurotunnel.
Was thinking about taking our diesel car but I have plenty of free supercharging miles left to use that expiring at the end of the year.

If you want a good tip, when you're on the Edinburgh by pass don't take the A1, take the A68 Jedburgh and then the A696.
It's a lovely scenic route, it's more direct and it's mostly empty of tourists and caravans (they are all on the A1)

vvvvv.jpg