The all things EV chat thread

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wife's car got a bargain service plan that covers her until 2026 with mots included. Including this year's service and MOT that's 3 services and 3 mots £720
You obviously have a different idea of what a bargain is to me!🤪

My service and MOT earlier this year was £160 so 3 would be just over half what it costs your wife

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You obviously have a different idea of what a bargain is to me!🤪

My service and MOT earlier this year was £160 so 3 would be just over half what it costs your wife

Our previous car was £250 a year to service so a saving there. For context Hyundai worried about coolant on that model so every 4 years (this is year 4) it needs draining and replacing which puts the price up as the coolant for that model only costs more. Again for context it i had another service and MOT added it would have been £90

My car however they moved away from that coolant as proved wasn't required and servicing is every 2 years so the costs are much reduced on hers

Affordable though so dont mind (quick add that the wife's is all main dealer, I'll be taking mine , actually having a guy come, to do it on the driveway for even less, I just kept the wife's simple for her)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why is it nonsense?

Do you not include the cost of buying the vehicle when you package to cost ?
You said it's cheaper to own, not to buy.
Is it also not about £1k to install a charger as well
I haven't got a charger, not required.
Until all things are truely equal in terms of price , real life practicability then people will go for ICE cars
I've never had a petrol/diesel pump at home before.
And there is no doubt that imo governments will find a way to find something to plug the financial gap when it comes to car tax and any fuel duty
The only way they can do that realistically is by charging by the mile. I don't mind that, especially when my fuel costs me about 5p per mile

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You said it's cheaper to own, not to buy.

I haven't got a charger, not required.

I've never had a petrol/diesel pump at home before.

The only way they can do that realistically is by charging by the mile. I don't mind that, especially when my fuel costs me about 5p per mile

Owning a car includes the purchase prize

Why would anyone need a pump at home when you can pop to the garage and have a full tank in 5 mins

An ice car fits into 99% of the populations lifestyle and it practical for 99% of the population

An electric car is nowhere near that

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why would anyone need a pump at home when you can pop to the garage and have a full tank in 5 mins

An ice car fits into 99% of the populations lifestyle and it practical for 99% of the population

So as demand for fuel drops, what's to stop fuel stations having to close to maintain profits/ be able to stay in business , so that garage "just round the corner" becomes a 20 mins trek away .. or are we assuming the world is going to remain exactly the same and not change?

Even during COVID petrol stations closed due to demand dropping

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So as demand for fuel drops, what's to stop fuel stations having to close to maintain profits/ be able to stay in business , so that garage "just round the corner" becomes a 20 mins trek away .. or are we assuming the world is going to remain exactly the same and not change?

Even during COVID petrol stations closed due to demand dropping
Even if it’s 20 mins that’s a car full within 1 hour

And during Covid petrol stations where hit due to a lack of people on the roads - the one near us that closed re open again after a refresh

The “demand for petrol” is still going to be significant for a long time yet

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even if it’s 20 mins that’s a car full within 1 hour

And during Covid petrol stations where hit due to a lack of people on the roads - the one near us that closed re open again after a refresh

The “demand for petrol” is still going to be significant for a long time yet

Whilst this is correct now it's not definitely going to be the case in the future. Within an hour? That's the thing at a rapid charger with speeds increasing all the time you can get EVs charged within an hour.

My car right now is full..I'll drive home tonight. Do swimming etc tomorrow, drive to work and back Monday, then grab a free charge Tuesday at the golf club just because it's there. That charge could last me over a week and a half costing me £0

I haven't charged the Kia at home since may. Whenever I charge is when the car is sitting doing nothing and I'm not needing it and it's always ready to be used.

No going out my way to charge

The 2 long trips I've done this year, 1 I charged whilst we had lunch, in the car park that my mate parked his car in the other charge I did in the hotel car park whilst I put the kids to bed.

Neither were out of my way or a hassle. They still worked out cheaper than using petrol for the same journey.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Whilst this is correct now it's not definitely going to be the case in the future. Within an hour? That's the thing at a rapid charger with speeds increasing all the time you can get EVs charged within an hour.

My car right now is full..I'll drive home tonight. Do swimming etc tomorrow, drive to work and back Monday, then grab a free charge Tuesday at the golf club just because it's there. That charge could last me over a week and a half costing me £0

I haven't charged the Kia at home since may. Whenever I charge is when the car is sitting doing nothing and I'm not needing it and it's always ready to be used.

No going out my way to charge

The 2 long trips I've done this year, 1 I charged whilst we had lunch, in the car park that my mate parked his car in the other charge I did in the hotel car park whilst I put the kids to bed.

Neither were out of my way or a hassle. They still worked out cheaper than using petrol for the same journey.

You do realise that not everyone is in the same situation as you ?

Not everyone has a golf club with few charging

Not every one has “fast charging” that can do it within the hour

Not every car park has a charging point and charging points fast or slow and not always empty

Your situation and how you work is not a “normal” for everyone

There is a many that don’t work or live their life that way

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You do realise that not everyone is in the same situation as you ?

Not everyone has a golf club with few charging

Not every one has “fast charging” that can do it within the hour

Not every car park has a charging point and charging points fast or slow and not always empty

Your situation and how you work is not a “normal” for everyone

There is a many that don’t work or live their life that way

However the same can be said right back to you Phil. For many people EV are a perfect fit. Many more than actually own them infact. Cost is coming down and they are a great solution for a lot of people.

Yet you refuse to accept that.

As I said to @Beezerk yesterday when he asked about a plug in hybrid it's a case of doing what's best for your situation

For a lot of people EV are an excellent option and people want to know more about them. Having the standard "their rubbish, don't work" old fake news continuing to be pumped out by the same few who just don't want one or doesn't suit them really doesn't help anyone.

We get it they don't suit you.

Move on

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I already said that the cost of an new Ev is too high.
Given the choice of driving to the nearest garage and paying £7 a gallon for diesel or popping to the car port and plugging in the car and going to bed...no contest

No-one said it was.
Wait till 2034, buy yourself a nice new ICE car and keep it for 20 years. No-one will care

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
However the same can be said right back to you Phil. For many people EV are a perfect fit. Many more than actually own them infact. Cost is coming down and they are a great solution for a lot of people.

Yet you refuse to accept that.

As I said to @Beezerk yesterday when he asked about a plug in hybrid it's a case of doing what's best for your situation

For a lot of people EV are an excellent option and people want to know more about them. Having the standard "their rubbish, don't work" old fake news continuing to be pumped out by the same few who just don't want one or doesn't suit them really doesn't help anyone.

We get it they don't suit you.

Move on

EV suits some - as we all know , no one has stated they won’t suit some or be perfect for some

But for many and in fact prob the majority they are just not practical and don’t suit by any stretch for multiple reason

An ice car is practical and works for everyone

There are things that stop people owning an EV - there is nothing stopping someone owning an ICE car

Until all barriers are removed from owning an EV car - the ice will always be the best fit for most

The current conversation was derived from someone highlighting through a real life experience of how much of a pain it was having an EV car compared to an ICE car - it’s there for many , the impracticality of owning one

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I already said that the cost of an new Ev is too high.

Given the choice of driving to the nearest garage and paying £7 a gallon for diesel or popping to the car port and plugging in the car and going to bed...no contest

No-one said it was.
Wait till 2034, buy yourself a nice new ICE car and keep it for 20 years. No-one will care

Popping to a car port where ? If you haven’t got one at your house - how can you go to a car port , plug in and then go to bed - unless you sleep in the car

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m with Arthur here - Bob states he doesn’t have a charger at home, then says he can pop the car on charge and go to bed. Something doesn’t sound right to me 🤔

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m with Arthur here - Bob states he doesn’t have a charger at home, then says he can pop the car on charge and go to bed. Something doesn’t sound right to me 🤔

Bob doesn't have a type 2 charger, we have spoke about it before so I understand what he means, he hasn't paid the £1000 for a home charger he uses the 3 pin plug that came with his car (that you can get one for £100 online) and a socket in his car port (correct me if I'm wrong @bobmac )

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob doesn't have a type 2 charger, we have spoke about it before so I understand what he means, he hasn't paid the £1000 for a home charger he uses the 3 pin plug that came with his car (that you can get one for £100 online) and a socket in his car port (correct me if I'm wrong @bobmac )
Correct, I charge from a home power socket which also has an Alexa plug fitted.
So if I leave the car plugged in, I just tell Alexa to turn on the car charger.
I can also monitor the state of charge of the battery using an app on my phone

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Correct, I charge from a home power socket which also has an Alexa plug fitted.
So if I leave the car plugged in, I just tell Alexa to turn on the car charger.

With it being not recommended due to safety reasons for long term use I’m guessing most will have to pay to get a charger installed

But it still won’t solve the households that don’t have off road parking , or a space or port or have their parking space outside their property- which is our situation.

It’s just something else to add to the impractical nature of EV car

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With it being not recommended due to safety reasons for long term use I’m guessing most will have to pay to get a charger installed

But it still won’t solve the households that don’t have off road parking , or a space or port or have their parking space outside their property- which is our situation.

It’s just something else to add to the impractical nature of EV car

All kinds of solutions have been presented and worked through

Flats with shared chargers that bill to the person's flat after charging

Lampost chargers installed in roads for people to use

BT converting old green phone cabinates to chargers

Cable runs in pavements to run chargers through

Some people out there charge once a week when they do their shopping and pay for it there

Plenty of solutions for people with an open mind.