The all things EV chat thread

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want a good tip, when you're on the Edinburgh by pass don't take the A1, take the A68 Jedburgh and then the A696.
It's a lovely scenic route, it's more direct and it's mostly empty of tourists and caravans (they are all on the A1)
Thank you for advice but I will be heading towards Glasgow Middlesborough Cambridge Folkestone eurotunnel.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ditched the straight 6 beemer in April and bought an approved used iPace from JLR. 2 year warranty, free charger included and installed. I'm paying 7p per kWh to charge and lots of cheap leccy for the house too. So much nonsense about charging times. If you're getting a new car and have a drive then to me it's really a no brainer to get an EV.

Stevie, where are you getting 7p p/kwh.

I’ve got the option to back the a4 burner with no charge and opt in at work with some very nice EV options but on the current 24p p/kwh it’s not viable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’ve got the option to back the a4 burner with no charge and opt in at work with some very nice EV options but on the current 24p p/kwh it’s not viable.

OVO charge anytime is 7p a unit so is octopus go intelligent with a compatible charger

Bonus of octopus is any usage during the charge hours (which set at 23:30-0530 or when it smart chargers on top of that) so means if you say do a wash, or a tumble in that time you save

Where as OVO just give you the car energy for the 7p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you go the OVO route check which chargers work with their cheap rate (charge anytime).
Part of their organisation is a company which takes control of your charger and the allows the vehicle to charge when they consider there to be less demand not just at night.

I use an OHME charger and it works really well.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
does it affect cars or just lorries ?
I'm travelling on the 6th of September should be fine by then.
Just lorries, but there are lane restrictions and 50mph limit.
There is no rhyme or reason for the implication of it. If I remember correctly, it's latest appearance was due to passport checking delays we now have to deal with.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So having had a look at the Kia Niro yesterday. Bottom line, it’s not going to happen. The car my pal had was £36k, it is way out of my price range. Now talking to missis T about it on the way home. Nigh on everything is on the touch screen. I just don’t get it. If I want to turn up or down the heating on my car. I just reach down and turn the knob. On the Kia, look at the screen, look for the heating app. Adjust the heating control, all the time looking at the screen. How is it not safe using your phone in a car but it’s safe looking down at the screen.
My pal was telling me his hybrid car. 90% of his travel is on electric, he hardly uses petrol. But coz the car is over £40K he has to pay £400 additional tax per year. Very strange.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So having had a look at the Kia Niro yesterday. Bottom line, it’s not going to happen. The car my pal had was £36k, it is way out of my price range. Now talking to missis T about it on the way home. Nigh on everything is on the touch screen. I just don’t get it. If I want to turn up or down the heating on my car. I just reach down and turn the knob. On the Kia, look at the screen, look for the heating app. Adjust the heating control, all the time looking at the screen. How is it not safe using your phone in a car but it’s safe looking down at the screen.
My pal was telling me his hybrid car. 90% of his travel is on electric, he hardly uses petrol. But coz the car is over £40K he has to pay £400 additional tax per year. Very strange.

The niro has knob control for heating and radio, it's one of the few that do ...

It's below the screen

Maybe it was in radio, once you press the air con button it changes to climate control

3jri2qkokutb1.jpg

That said we all forget with climate control your suppose to set to say 20 degree and just let it control the temp and keep it comfortable rather than blasting air about

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
The niro has knob control for heating and radio, it's one of the few that do ...

It's below the screen

Maybe it was in radio, once you press the air con button it changes to climate control

View attachment 54462

That said we all forget with climate control your suppose to set to say 20 degree and just let it control the temp and keep it comfortable rather than blasting air about
Wait to your Mrs hits the menopause, she’ll be fiddling with that control like a bored kid!

My e-power X trail has been brilliant, a great alternative to a pure EV (and it’s full of knobs 😉)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
First thing to say about hybrids... the most likely car to catch fire. Second are ICE cars. A distant 3rd are EVs.
Cost.
If you can stray into the almost new market, there are healthy savings to be had...

2023 Kia Niro
6,853 miles
285 mile range
64.8 Kwh hattery

£21,995

My favourite button on my Leaf is the auto climate button

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wait to your Mrs hits the menopause, she’ll be fiddling with that control like a bored kid!

My e-power X trail has been brilliant, a great alternative to a pure EV (and it’s full of knobs 😉)

We just drove home from swimming it was colder than when we left so just reached for the knob (ooo matron) and turned it to 20 degree

However it's one of the few around that has physical controls over those hidden behind a touch screen

The Kia niro and the Hyundai Kona are basically the same car.. I went for the former as 7 year warranty and physical buttons compared to 5 year warranty and more touch screen on the Kona

The older Kona that the wife has that has physical buttons

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First thing to say about hybrids... the most likely car to catch fire. Second are ICE cars. A distant 3rd are EVs.
Cost.
If you can stray into the almost new market, there are healthy savings to be made...

2023 Kia Niro
6,853 miles
285 mile range
64.8 Kwh hattery

£21,995

What I really like that they did with the niro is putting slim line seats inside. Very comfortable but also because their thinner you get a lot more space inside without the car being massive outside

TARDIS style

RichA

Visit site
Just seen the Renault 5 EV that's being released in 2025.
That could be my first foray into electric cars. Looks the nuts.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mazda's all have knobs for heating control and radio volume.
They also think sensibly, by disabling lots of settings controls when you drive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My regular golfing buddy has been eyeing up a Tesla model 3. Now he lives in a flat, zero charging available. He does 20,000 miles a year but he reckons he can make it work with charging at his work at 27p a unit

If it wasn't for such a good supercharger network from them it wouldn't be as viable for him for sure

Think he's planning long term when he eventually goes for a house but until then he can do his 350 miles a week

He was listing all these cars (electric) but I was saying to Tesla if you don't home charge , impressed how much golf gear he can fit in..

Also advised him to go second hand as brand new have the luxury car tax that @Tashyboy mentioned earlier but earlier EVs from before April this year don't have that

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I really like that they did with the niro is putting slim line seats inside. Very comfortable but also because their thinner you get a lot more space inside without the car being massive outside

TARDIS style
As much as I was not overly impressed with the car. The seats were a massive plus. The air conditioning that comes through the seats was fantastic.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Cost.
If you can stray into the almost new market, there are healthy savings to be made...

2023 Kia Niro
6,853 miles
285 mile range
64.8 Kwh hattery

£21,995

This looks basically perfect, except the colour ;-)
But we are looking at around that value because it looks like that's where we can get an HP finance deal at £450 ish with what we would spend on deposit. I don't think my 57 plate Focus has much trade in value.

Without going into proper financial advice, should I get remortgage done 1st before looking into financing a car, or do they not care about each other that much? We are do next August.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As much as I was not overly impressed with the car. The seats were a massive plus. The air conditioning that comes through the seats was fantastic.

Oh it was a 4 then as that's got the ventilated seats

Best car I've ever owned , can get 5 of us in with loads in boot including golf clubs with driver in bag!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not EV but still of interest. On holiday and picked up a Toyota Camry hire car for the next 12 days. It's a hybrid, not plug in. Really quiet, lovely to drive, easy to drive, nice interior. A serious shame this technology wasn't allowed to develop further. I'd happily have one, or similar.