The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I reckon I have spent weeks if not months in the slow traffic on that road.

I used to know a way round it but sadly since GPS even that way is now crowded, particularly most noticeable is the lorries using it and it has several sections of single track road.

When I first moved here the local section was still single carriageway and getting from one side to the other on Friday nights and Saturday mornings was hell. My neighbour got a life time ban for the accident he caused trying to get across.

They are only now changing one section near me from single carriageway to dual and it will not be completed until 2025.
The only bit of the 303 I'm aware of that's being dualled is a 3 mile stretch near Sparkford. That's miles from Stonehenge. Every little helps, of course, but doing something at Stonehenge is the most urgent thing needed on the 303.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only bit of the 303 I'm aware of that's being dualled is a 3 mile stretch near Sparkford. That's miles from Stonehenge. Every little helps, of course, but doing something at Stonehenge is the most urgent thing needed on the 303.

The hold ups on that section* are every bit as bad as Stonehenge, same as every section where dual carriageway ends such West and East bound sections of the A303 North of Salisbury.

*I once spent nearly an hour on the section of dual carriageway leading to that section got to the roundabout at Podimore turned round and went home.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The hold ups on that section* are every bit as bad as Stonehenge, same as every section where dual carriageway ends such West and East bound sections of the A303 North of Salisbury.

*I once spent nearly an hour on the section of dual carriageway leading to that section got to the roundabout at Podimore turned round and went home.
I guess that I must have never been there at a really busy time. Must have been lucky.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the other weekend we went to Scotland and had a lovely time. However there was a couple of instances that massively turned me off electric.
1, so when we got to Oban, I shot off to Aldi and got my Scottish provisions that you cannot get in England. I then pulled into Tesco carpark and filled up with diesel. I parked my car at the side of the guy we went with. As he coupled his car up to the charging station. He thought it would be the same as when he goes to LIDL, IE contactless. Nope, down load the app, register and them plug in. By the time he had done that, I had done all my shopping, filled up, his wife came out of Tesco and he disconnected. He had downloaded 2%.
2, the day after we ended up in Inveraray, went straight to the charging stations. A guy was in the 1 fast charge bay. So my pal pulled alongside a 22kw per hour charger. Another guy was alongside. As soon as you have two cars you get 11 kw each per hour. Do the maths on 11kw per hour on a 110 kw battery. The guy in the fast charge was naughty, his car was charged, he hogged the pump til his wife came and then he dropped her car straight in. So my pal plugs in his car. He had to down load the Scottish what ever app. Then he had to download the 3rd party payment collection app. So off we went, No. he had to ring the company because it would not charge his car. 15 minutes he was on the phone being talked through it. His wife was then in a panic. My pal was using his wife’s card and she had 7 pending payments for £35 where he had put the charging cable in. The guy at the side was livid the fast charge had been hogged. His electric works van was trickling away and he had a 2 hour drive to the next job, then 3 hours to get home. He was very helpful. Eventually we got it sorted and the guy said “ keep an eye on your app that says it’s charging coz history has shown me they are temperamental”. We thanked him and walked off. Got five minutes round the corner and he had ran after us. It had stopped charging. We went back and after another 10 minutes on the phone it was sorted.
We stayed in Inveraray for about 2 1/2 hours and we saw a 30 wheel crane slowly drive by. We knew that was going to a big lorry that was on it side on the side of the loch we had passed going to Inveraray. That rd was going to be blocked off so we rushed back rather than do a 40-50 detour. We got back to the charging station. My pal had got about 24kw on his battery.The guy who had helped us was now plugged into the fast charge and said he would be there another 45 minutes. He was thoroughly bogged off.
Bottom line neither experience has convinced me electric is the answer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
He thought it would be the same as when he goes to LIDL, IE contactless. Nope, down load the app, register and them plug in. By the time he had done that, I had done all my shopping, filled up, his wife came out of Tesco and he disconnected. He had downloaded 2%.
But you only have to register once
Do the maths on 11kw per hour on a 110 kw battery.
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a car on the road that has a 110kw battery
Did you notice how much the chargers cost?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But you only have to register once

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a car on the road that has a 110kw battery

Did you notice how much the chargers cost?

I think their are some with that battery tbh. Seems to ring a bell

But again it's old way of thinking. You don't charge to full at these places , you charge what you need. Full tank is ice way of thinking

Also planning ahead never hurts, I always check for 3 chargers on zap map and have those apps ready or preferable use octopus which brings together a lot of the networks

That said all should have touch to pay by now

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So the other weekend we went to Scotland and had a lovely time. However there was a couple of instances that massively turned me off electric.
1, so when we got to Oban, I shot off to Aldi and got my Scottish provisions that you cannot get in England. I then pulled into Tesco carpark and filled up with diesel. I parked my car at the side of the guy we went with. As he coupled his car up to the charging station. He thought it would be the same as when he goes to LIDL, IE contactless. Nope, down load the app, register and them plug in. By the time he had done that, I had done all my shopping, filled up, his wife came out of Tesco and he disconnected. He had downloaded 2%.
2, the day after we ended up in Inveraray, went straight to the charging stations. A guy was in the 1 fast charge bay. So my pal pulled alongside a 22kw per hour charger. Another guy was alongside. As soon as you have two cars you get 11 kw each per hour. Do the maths on 11kw per hour on a 110 kw battery. The guy in the fast charge was naughty, his car was charged, he hogged the pump til his wife came and then he dropped her car straight in. So my pal plugs in his car. He had to down load the Scottish what ever app. Then he had to download the 3rd party payment collection app. So off we went, No. he had to ring the company because it would not charge his car. 15 minutes he was on the phone being talked through it. His wife was then in a panic. My pal was using his wife’s card and she had 7 pending payments for £35 where he had put the charging cable in. The guy at the side was livid the fast charge had been hogged. His electric works van was trickling away and he had a 2 hour drive to the next job, then 3 hours to get home. He was very helpful. Eventually we got it sorted and the guy said “ keep an eye on your app that says it’s charging coz history has shown me they are temperamental”. We thanked him and walked off. Got five minutes round the corner and he had ran after us. It had stopped charging. We went back and after another 10 minutes on the phone it was sorted.
We stayed in Inveraray for about 2 1/2 hours and we saw a 30 wheel crane slowly drive by. We knew that was going to a big lorry that was on it side on the side of the loch we had passed going to Inveraray. That rd was going to be blocked off so we rushed back rather than do a 40-50 detour. We got back to the charging station. My pal had got about 24kw on his battery.The guy who had helped us was now plugged into the fast charge and said he would be there another 45 minutes. He was thoroughly bogged off.

It’s a perfect example of how much of a pain it is with an electric car

They are nowhere near the simplicity and practicability of a petrol car

It’s nice and simple - drive until you need fuel , pop into a garage - 5 mins later , full tank and away we go.

It’s also cheaper to own as well

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If EVs cost more to own, why are so many people buying them?

Only if people just public charge does an EV cost the same / possibly more if you use pure rapids

My servicing costs are lower on the EVs , the tyres last the same (despite some fake press reports) when I returned the Corsa I had done 30k miles and had 3mm front and 5mm back tyres

Fuel costs? Well since Feb my wife's Kona has done 484 miles costing £8.72

My Kia has done 5200 miles and cost £78

Both work out just under 2p per mile

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheaper company car tax, fear caused by an imposed deadline.

Thing is Ice cars will be more and more taxed. EVs will be subject to tax and they will end up clawing the lost taxes back to make them the normal levels but then those levels will apply to ice cars on top of what tax is already applied to fuel to make it uneconomical to run one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thing is Ice cars will be more and more taxed. EVs will be subject to tax and they will end up clawing the lost taxes back to make them the normal levels but then those levels will apply to ice cars on top of what tax is already applied to fuel to make it uneconomical to run one.
Disagree with this comment. My 64 plate dirty diesel is only £20 a year to tax - unfortunately lose any benefit if I want to drive into most cities nowadays with the emission zones

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree with this comment. My 64 plate dirty diesel is only £20 a year to tax - unfortunately lose any benefit if I want to drive into most cities nowadays with the emission zones

£20 at the moment, they will adjust it I'm sure. I mean mine ATM are free , they will be £165 I believe it is from next April but that's not the tax I'm refering to. Fuel tax. Fuel duty can easily increase and price people off the roads by making it more costly to run an ice car.

Their is also no obligation to keep vehicle excess duty at the levels they are today. They are already linked to inflation now are they not.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I admit EVs are still more expensive to buy new than they should be but in my opinion and experience of owning both, to say they are more expensive to own than an ICE car is just nonsense.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
coming from Londn/Surrey way... Will be on the 303 and i guess that i will lose a lot of time and charge due to the rubber necks at Stonehenge. Absolutely hate that road..
We.went to Woolacombe in June, 8.5hrs there, 10.5 hrs back.
A303 on the way down, M4/5 back.
Friday to Friday
Nightmare

😤

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
£20 at the moment, they will adjust it I'm sure. I mean mine ATM are free , they will be £165 I believe it is from next April but that's not the tax I'm refering to. Fuel tax. Fuel duty can easily increase and price people off the roads by making it more costly to run an ice car.

Their is also no obligation to keep vehicle excess duty at the levels they are today. They are already linked to inflation now are they not.
The £20 road tax is a legacy of an earlier scheme, which ended in April 2017.
My petrol car is Jan 2017 and is £20 a year to tax. That figure has never changed over the years, while cars registered outside that scheme's period have gone up. (Example: my wife's previous car was a 2012 one, and her road tax went up every year). So I think perhaps the way the regulations were set up might include a guarantee that the road tax was fixed forever. If not, I cannot believe it wouldn't have gone up over the years.

But all this is a minor issue. What's almost certain to be introduced is some kind of pay per mile tax, which will apply to all cars - ICE & EV. And of course the fuel duty on petrol/diesel won't go away.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I admit EVs are still more expensive to buy new than they should be but in my opinion and experience of owning both, to say they are more expensive to own than an ICE car is just nonsense.

Why is it nonsense?

Do you not include the cost of buying the vehicle when you package to cost ?

Is it also not about £1k to install a charger as well

Until all things are truely equal in terms of price , real life practicability then people will go for ICE cars

And there is no doubt that imo governments will find a way to find something to plug the financial gap when it comes to car tax and any fuel duty

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Deals to be had aswell, lots of pre registered, the second hand market is a gold mine..my wife's Kona was 3 years old only 15k. Bargain for that car. She loves it. Prob run it until it stops working. Low servicing costs. Charge it up once a month. Because it's one of their first EVs it's 10,000 service schedule or yearly but my Kia is now 20,000 miles and 2 years .. that saves a lot.

Wife's car got a bargain service plan that covers her until 2026 with mots included. Including this year's service and MOT that's 3 services and 3 mots £720
The £20 road tax is a legacy of an earlier scheme, which ended in April 2017.
My petrol car is Jan 2017 and is £20 a year to tax. That figure has never changed over the years, while cars registered outside that scheme's period have gone up. (Example: my wife's previous car was a 2012 one, and her road tax went up every year). So I think perhaps the way the regulations were set up might include a guarantee that the road tax was fixed forever. If not, I cannot believe it wouldn't have gone up over the years.

But all this is a minor issue. What's almost certain to be introduced is some kind of pay per mile tax, which will apply to all cars - ICE & EV. And of course the fuel duty on petrol/diesel won't go away.

I agree this 100% will happen.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it nonsense?

Do you not include the cost of buying the vehicle when you package to cost ?

Is it also not about £1k to install a charger as well

Until all things are truely equal in terms of price , real life practicability then people will go for ICE cars

And there is no doubt that imo governments will find a way to find something to plug the financial gap when it comes to car tax and any fuel duty

A lot of cars come with the chargers as part of the deal. Dealer throw in a charger install.

The £1000 if someone pays it breaks even very soon In fuel savings.

The cost of the cars are getting closer. Auto trader is where to look not list prices as that's what the car actually are being sold for rather than the old RRP .. like when DFS list a sofa as X but nobody in the history of buying their sofas has paid that.