The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course they're not comparable.
The Golf is smaller, tiny boot, slower and even the top of the range most expensive at over £42k doesn't come near the Model 3.
Again, the point is, you can spend £2,000 more on a top of the range Golf and it wont come near the model 3 which is bigger, faster and cheaper.

Think the most expensive Golf is the R ( limited edition 20 ) at £40k - high performance, the Model 3 Performance is at £70k
But the entry level Tesla from £39k which is bigger, faster and cheaper than the top of the range Golf at £42k

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Because people keep telling me they will never buy an EV because they are too expensive, not enough range and nowhere to charge and while I agree up to a point, I try and show things are improving faster than many people think.
I've said many times that EVs aren't for everyone but before you buy another ICE car, do your own research and don't listen to the out of date advice from the naysayers

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Because people keep telling me they will never buy an EV because they are too expensive, not enough range and nowhere to charge and while I agree up to a point, I try and show things are improving faster than many people think.
I've said many times that EVs aren't for everyone but before you buy another ICE car, do your own research and don't listen to the out of date advice from the naysayers
If you want to buy one,buy one.
If you don’t……. 🤷‍♂️

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

full hybrids are, to me, the way forward for the next few years as the decline in electric take up has shown that we are not ready to be pressured into buying electric yet. Sure they will take over eventually but targets for 2035 should be scrapped and allow manufacturers to plan the next decade or so without dropping the ball on what the majority of the public want. Electric has its place in the current mix and the big investmnts are there, but the gov't need to get real and stop this forced transition - the market will move quickly when infrastructure is a lot better and solid state batteries with 5 or 10 minute charging, five times the longevity and at least twice the range come in,

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The TDI starts at £30k

View attachment 54123
I know how much a Golf TDI is but doesn't come close to a model 3. Even the top of the range which is £42k doesn't compare with a basic Model 3

Golf tdi 0-62mph 7.1 secs
Model 3 0-60 5.8 secs

Golf tdi boot 374L
Model 3 boot 594L

Golf length 4287mm
Model 3 4720mm

Golf width 1789mm
Model 3 2089

Cost
Golf £42,210
Model 3 £39,990

So the nearest Golf TDI you can get to a model 3 is slower, shorter, narrower, has a tiny boot and costs £2,220 more.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough, I'm looking at a Golf at the moment to replace my Mazda 6 estate. One of the things I like about it is its compact size. I've had bigger cars, now I want a smaller one that is still very nice. On that basis, the above still isn't a like for like comparison as I currently would reject the Tesla due to size, amongst other reasons.

If you are going to compare an electric car against a Golf then surely it has to be against the VW i3?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough, I'm looking at a Golf at the moment to replace my Mazda 6 estate. One of the things I like about it is its compact size. I've had bigger cars, now I want a smaller one that is still very nice. On that basis, the above still isn't a like for like comparison as I currently would reject the Tesla due to size, amongst other reasons.

If you are going to compare an electric car against a Golf then surely it has to be against the VW i3?
Still say the golf is the best car I ever owned.
Does everything I wanted it to.
Only changed to T Cross so the Mrs can get in and out easier.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The id3 is decent and just had a face lift so previous versions are available second hand a lot more reasonable priced

full hybrids are, to me, the way forward for the next few years as the decline in electric take up has shown that we are not ready to be pressured into buying electric yet. Sure they will take over eventually but targets for 2035 should be scrapped and allow manufacturers to plan the next decade or so without dropping the ball on what the majority of the public want. Electric has its place in the current mix and the big investmnts are there, but the gov't need to get real and stop this forced transition - the market will move quickly when infrastructure is a lot better and solid state batteries with 5 or 10 minute charging, five times the longevity and at least twice the range come in,

Whilst I agree here for me what's blooming frustrating is this should have been the way 10 years ago full hybrids only, they been proven tech for decades now.

I had an auris hybrid from 2011 to 2018, the longest I've ever kept a car. Did everything I needed before family and was very efficient

RichA

Visit site
Love my VW Golf but have been reminded this weekend of it's weakness. It leaks like a sieve. Loads of warning lights and error messages this morning after some torrential rain the last couple of days. I hope their battery operated cars keep the water out better.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
So the nearest Golf TDI you can get to a model 3 is slower, shorter, narrower, has a tiny boot and costs £2,220 more.
Why is a car that's narrower and shorter worse?
It'll be easier to park, and down here in Devon, you really don't want a wide car.
There's always the Golf estate if you want a big boot (611 litres).

And I don't understand where you're getting these prices from. According to What Car, the Golf estate RRP is between £28k and £35k.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why is a car that's narrower and shorter worse?
I didn't say it was worse, but for many it would be.
For a 20 year old, a golf may be perfect but for a family of four, not so good.
It'll be easier to park, and down here in Devon, you really don't want a wide car.
There's always the Golf estate if you want a big boot (611 litres).
I wouldn't say it was a wide car, just more room than a golf.
And I don't understand where you're getting these prices from. According to What Car, the Golf estate RRP is between £28k and £35k.
You can talk RRP all day, but what matters is the price in the showroom.
I'm not able to go round all the dealerships in Britain but I do have Autotrader online and while it isn't perfect, it's a good guide
eg.
There are 2 new Golf estates showing right now, one at £33k and the other at over £36k

Some people want speed
Some people want luxury
Some people want space
Some people want small
Some people want ICE
Some people want EV
Some people want cheap
Some people want the badge

Buy what you want but just be aware that a comparable EV and ICE car are not always £10k apart

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Love my VW Golf but have been reminded this weekend of it's weakness. It leaks like a sieve. Loads of warning lights and error messages this morning after some torrential rain the last couple of days. I hope their battery operated cars keep the water out better.
And yet you love it 🤷‍♂️😂
character?

3 jabber

Visit site
I'm considering a car change and very undecided what to go for. Thought long and hard about an EV but as a private cash buyer they are not worth it. 2nd values plummeting, can pick one up for good money about 3 or 4 years old but as I tend to keep my cars around 5 years or so it will be worth next to nothing when I come to sell it. It appears they are not all they are cracked up to be.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm considering a car change and very undecided what to go for. Thought long and hard about an EV but as a private cash buyer they are not worth it. 2nd values plummeting, can pick one up for good money about 3 or 4 years old but as I tend to keep my cars around 5 years or so it will be worth next to nothing when I come to sell it. It appears they are not all they are cracked up to be.
The residual value argument works with lot's of petrol cars as well.
One of mine only had residual value of 20% of what I paid for it after 5 years (bought as 1 year old car) and only 10% of it original book price.

RichA

Visit site
And yet you love it 🤷‍♂️😂
character?
Yeah. Is that not normal human behaviour though - loving something in spite of it's flaws?
As it turns out, ironically given the thread, the error messages and warning lights on my petrol engine car have all been caused by a battery issue. 🤦‍♂️