The all things EV chat thread

3 jabber

Visit site
Are queues at public chargers an issue? I've seen/heard lots of reports during busy times of people queuing in a disorderly fashion to get a charger with nobody really sure where the front or back of the queue is. Hearsay or real life problem? If I buy one I don't mind waiting 30 mins in the services and drinking coffee while it charges but I'm really not interested in getting into arguments with people over who is next in the line.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always about location , we are a pretty decent size town

On the regular routes around here most will go past at minimum 2 garages if going to -MK , Luton , Hemel or Aylesbury- combination of supermarket petrol or Shell/BP

There is a electric services on the A5 going towards MK but you need to go around town to get it - think that’s the only place you can park up and get a fast charge , everywhere else is a car park.

If either of the BP or the two shells had fast charging points then it would make a big difference for the town
As you say all about location.

I charge at home so not really affected but for those that are.

I live in a village about 4 miles outside of Yeovil we have a petrol station located at the end of the village and 2 public charging points located in the middle of the village.

Our district council has adopted a policy of putting chargers in all the council run car parks. I have always seen a charger available when I am parking.
The cost is about the same as charging at home at peak times, which is a lot less than the cost of petrol. It is only when using a fast, say 50AH, charger that the cost is about the same as petrol.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are queues at public chargers an issue? I've seen/heard lots of reports during busy times of people queuing in a disorderly fashion to get a charger with nobody really sure where the front or back of the queue is. Hearsay or real life problem? If I buy one I don't mind waiting 30 mins in the services and drinking coffee while it charges but I'm really not interested in getting into arguments with people over who is next in the line.
The arguments happen every day over every thing

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I live in a village about 4 miles outside of Yeovil we have a petrol station located at the end of the village and 2 public charging points located in the middle of the village.

Our district council has adopted a policy of putting chargers in all the council run car parks. I have always seen a charger available when I am parking.
The cost is about the same as charging at home at peak times, which is a lot less than the cost of petrol. It is only when using a fast, say 50AH, charger that the cost is about the same as petrol.
I suspect that this may slow down or become really expensive (or both) as councils struggle with funding. They all reckon they can’t pay for social care, etc so not sure many will be spending on electric charging for the public.

stevied

Visit site
Ive not queued the times I have used public chargers. Which is isn't often anyway as I charge at home. So far just done 1 long journey that has
Necessitated public charging.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Whilst that’s very commendable from councils it’s not going to be cheap and many councils have a lot of deficits when it comes to funding many essential areas like social care and even looking after the roads or services they currently have

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect that this may slow down or become really expensive (or both) as councils struggle with funding. They all reckon they can’t pay for social care, etc so not sure many will be spending on electric charging for the public.

I do not know who pays for them as they are all with Scottish Power . Maybe the council just supplies the location

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hypervolt.. the fitter recommended it and all the others in our close have them. It works with my supplier so it’s all straight forward.

A good looking charger aswell

That's the one thing that lets my ohme pro down, it's not the best looking charger