The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NEW. Estimated 1.2 million diesel & petrol cars in Scotland will be banned from Glasgow city centre from June to cut emissions. Edinburgh, Dundee & Aberdeen next year. Critics call it an attack on the poor, putting personal safety at risk. This’ll be big

That is big and bold. London we have similar with ulez but it's £12.50 charge not £60 (that will really make people avoid it)

Petrol is post 2005 I think then your safe and diesel is 2016

Going to have a ripple affect Scotland doing this... All the greater Londoners were hoping to sell their old diesels to people up north ..

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My company car is up for renewal in about 10 months time, ideally I'd like a hybrid but the cost to lease one that would be suitable are eye watering and out of my budget. Shame really as I wanted to jump on the electric bandwagon.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My company car is up for renewal in about 10 months time, ideally I'd like a hybrid but the cost to lease one that would be suitable are eye watering and out of my budget. Shame really as I wanted to jump on the electric bandwagon.

I was looking up lease for the tesla model y yesterday, affordable for a couple years time

Then I did the insurance... £1,700 ? but say mg ev £650.. and the Renault Megan e £650 .. and other cars that are around the Tesla list price about £700

Yeah I won't be going Tesla if insurance companies want to rob me that much

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
That is big and bold. London we have similar with ulez but it's £12.50 charge not £60 (that will really make people avoid it)

Petrol is post 2005 I think then your safe and diesel is 2016

Going to have a ripple affect Scotland doing this... All the greater Londoners were hoping to sell their old diesels to people up north ..
As the crow flies we are a good hit with a driver (forum distance) within the ULEZ extension zone. Car is just about still fine on current rules. Going to set the seed with the misses that it is time to look for an upgrade before we get caught out.

Friends of us have to change one of their cars which he uses for commuting a mile within the zone before crossing the river. They are an ideal family to replace on of theirs for an EV, even a little one and she can keep the diesel to do her longer field trips and their holidays.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the way BIK has gone is it worth you opting out and getting paid for mileage etc? Buy your own, no restrictions then? The comfort blanket of leasing is wonderful but the system is stacked against you now.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the way BIK has gone is it worth you opting out and getting paid for mileage etc? Buy your own, no restrictions then? The comfort blanket of leasing is wonderful but the system is stacked against you now.

I’ve not looked into that to be honest, I’m not sure what ppm my company offers and if it will cover all the costs of the car given the current price of fuel. Also if I have an issue with the car it will be down to me to supply a replacement I’m guessing, as it stands any issues and I just say “can I have another car please” lol.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve not looked into that to be honest, I’m not sure what ppm my company offers and if it will cover all the costs of the car given the current price of fuel. Also if I have an issue with the car it will be down to me to supply a replacement I’m guessing, as it stands any issues and I just say “can I have another car please” lol.
Fully understand. I did 20yrs of leasing and would happily go back. You do some hefty miles as well so that added protection that leasing gives you, it's not your responsibility, is massive.

What are the plug in hybrids like cost wise? I know they are an epic fail in what they are supposed to do environmentally, but do they trick the system and so work for you?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fully understand. I did 20yrs of leasing and would happily go back. You do some hefty miles as well so that added protection that leasing gives you, it's not your responsibility, is massive.

What are the plug in hybrids like cost wise? I know they are an epic fail in what they are supposed to do environmentally, but do they trick the system and so work for you?

So I’ve been looking at the Audi A4 Avant and Volvo V60 estate, both just over budget at around £630 a month but I’m confident my gaffer would let me spend the extra few quid. Bottom of the range Kia Sportage plug in hybrid is a smidge under £700 a month. Now the Kia is a nice car but it’s just too far out of reach.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I’ve been looking at the Audi A4 Avant and Volvo V60 estate, both just over budget at around £630 a month but I’m confident my gaffer would let me spend the extra few quid. Bottom of the range Kia Sportage plug in hybrid is a smidge under £700 a month. Now the Kia is a nice car but it’s just too far out of reach.
The Audi and Volvo are both very nice cars. Good places to be in (y).

Might be worth doing the maths for the BIK still, just in case it even makes sense for you to contribute towards the KIA and meet halfway with your boss. You may come out on top even by paying a bit towards it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Audi and Volvo are both very nice cars. Good places to be in (y).

Might be worth doing the maths for the BIK still, just in case it even makes sense for you to contribute towards the KIA and meet halfway with your boss. You may come out on top even by paying a bit towards it.

I honestly don’t know where to start with the BIK thing, for the last 16 years I’ve been given or chosen a car and that’s about it lol.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Dundee LEZ is almost entirely rubbish and not what it seems. It only affects a small city centre area within the inner ring road that nobody wants to drive to in the first place unless you’re a taxi or bus. Plus the grace peiod and number of exempt vehicles means most petrol and diesel cars remain compliant and unaffected.

It is almost entirely meaningless PR.

This from the Dundee council, including grammatical horrors:

The Dundee LEZ Scheme applies most vehicle types, however most vehicles will not be affected by the Dundee LEZ Scheme. Only vehicles that do not meet the following minimum criteria for vehicles to access a LEZ will be affected:

• Euro 4 for petrol cars and vans (generally vehicles registered from 2006)
• Euro 6 for diesel cars and vans (generally vehicles registered from September 2015)
• Euro VI for buses, coaches and HGVs (generally vehicles registered from January 2013)

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was looking up lease for the tesla model y yesterday, affordable for a couple years time

Then I did the insurance... £1,700 ? but say mg ev £650.. and the Renault Megan e £650 .. and other cars that are around the Tesla list price about £700

Yeah I won't be going Tesla if insurance companies want to rob me that much
Did you done proper research on that insurance. Got my model 3 end of December. Admiral price was 550, 70 pounds cheaper than Bmw 730 I had before the Tesla

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you done proper research on that insurance. Got my model 3 end of December. Admiral price was 550, 70 pounds cheaper than Bmw 730 I had before the Tesla

Yes, price comparison sites and seeing what's about

I would expect a Tesla to be more expensive than cheaper EV but not by £1000 that's just ridiculous

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EVs themsleves are absolutely outstanding tech that is let down by industries and industrial issues

If you drive less than 100 miles a day and have a home charger they are grand. Without question

Its hit and miss apparently on the super chargers (see this brilliant and well balanced video)

Then you have the dealers . Hit and miss if you get a good one

For example I had an issue in June .. it wasn't until sept that they agreed to replace the part . Because their techs aren't trained enough for ev... Then part was then delayed until Dec (can excuse that because of world wide issues)

So went in Jan 4th for the replacement part ..and a software update, day work they said

Then the part was missing a clip it took 5 days to arrive. Couldn't use the old clip as would invalidate the warranty, dunno why they didn't check the part had it before repairing but there you go

Then just as I thought it's ready oh sorry we didn't update it pick it up tomorrow (12th) so 8 days to do 1 day work lol

Then this morning I notice they didn't put my charge cable back lol

So you really are at the mercy of the rubbish dealers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've touched on this in another thread, don't think it's worth a new thread, and it relates to cars. Electricity providers are running a scheme to get people to reduce electricity consumption between 5-6pm. Apparently this will run 12 times between now and the end of March. If we don't have enough generation to cope comfortably now, how will we cope when people come home from work and all plug their cars in, when the air pumps are powering our central heating? These are additional drains to now.

I know there are plans for some nuclear, off into the future, but it's worrying when we are being pushed down an electric route without the capacity to handle it. (Weather at the moment means minimal wind so more turbines aren't necessarily the answer on this occasion).

I'm going to sit in a darkened room now in order to restore inner calm.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've touched on this in another thread, don't think it's worth a new thread, and it relates to cars. Electricity providers are running a scheme to get people to reduce electricity consumption between 5-6pm. Apparently this will run 12 times between now and the end of March. If we don't have enough generation to cope comfortably now, how will we cope when people come home from work and all plug their cars in, when the air pumps are powering our central heating? These are additional drains to now.

I know there are plans for some nuclear, off into the future, but it's worrying when we are being pushed down an electric route without the capacity to handle it. (Weather at the moment means minimal wind so more turbines aren't necessarily the answer on this occasion).

Exactly what I thought when I heard about it on the way in this morning. No doubt it's being grumpy/ denying/anti this or that....anything other than realistic:)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There are smart people out there who have predicted most of this and have developed a lot of ways around it

EVs mostly 8/10 charge overnight. When the grid has so much surplus that they turn off the wind turbines and pay customers to use electric (octupus agile)

They have smart chargers that you plug in say I need 80% by say 5am and the energy firm map your charge so it uses where there is a surplus of electric rather than the peak

They have just launched a heat pump tariff with 2 off peaks to use the heat pump cheap (again where they have a surplus)

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/electric-vehicles-myths-misconceptions

Read more on the grid myth busters page

Just so the grumpy one is more satisfied

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are smart people out there who have predicted most of this and have developed a lot of ways around it

EVs mostly 8/10 charge overnight. When the grid has so much surplus that they turn off the wind turbines and pay customers to use electric (octupus agile)

They have smart chargers that you plug in say I need 80% by say 5am and the energy firm map your charge so it uses where there is a surplus of electric rather than the peak

They have just launched a heat pump tariff with 2 off peaks to use the heat pump cheap (again where they have a surplus)

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/electric-vehicles-myths-misconceptions

Read more on the grid myth busters page

Just so the grumpy one is more satisfied
Will that all happen automatically, smart charging, or will you need smart owners to buy smart chargers and work out how to do it? I'm hoping it's the former, most people are lazy and don't want to go into detail to work things out.

I read the link, quite a bit of woolly stuff there. I'm not anti, I'm happy to go this route, but there is still a lot of wing and a prayer in this if you are looking at major changes.