The all things EV chat thread

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I have seen one of these hydrogen cars in the wild on Tuesday https://www.riversimple.com/ near Oxford circuit.
From a little away I could see something weird ahead and just caught up with it when I had to turn in for parking. Unfortunately my camera didn't capture it.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have seen one of these hydrogen cars in the wild on Tuesday https://www.riversimple.com/ near Oxford circuit.
From a little away I could see something weird ahead and just caught up with it when I had to turn in for parking. Unfortunately my camera didn't capture it.

Whilst they are said to be the future and people use them to say but they beat EV.. they have what 2 working fueling stations in the UK? 2 closed down recently and they cost even more than ev

Use even more electric to make the hydrogen aswell so any arguement about ev not being green as what goes into it is exactly same problem

Great cars tho hope they develop

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst they are said to be the future and people use them to say but they beat EV.. they have what 2 working fueling stations in the UK? 2 closed down recently and they cost even more than ev

Use even more electric to make the hydrogen aswell so any arguement about ev not being green as what goes into it is exactly same problem

Great cars tho hope they develop
They remove the issue of range anxiety and charging though. The other issues are there for electric and hydrogen but the more barriers you can take away, the better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What makes me laugh about that stretch of the M1 is it is right where all the steel mills were until recently so the air is probably much cleaner now than it has been for many a year. And what difference does the 3-4 mile stretch make anyway?
Is it a hollow? I drove along that stretch a few months ago, I can't remember seeing a similar thing before.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well no if there are just 2 stations in the UK 150 miles apart that is pretty anxious
Putting hydrogen into the fuel station network would be pretty simple. The infrastructure is largely there. Much easier than charge points.

Clearly not there now but if it got half the investment that electric has got it would be flying.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting hydrogen into the fuel station network would be pretty simple. The infrastructure is largely there. Much easier than charge points.

Clearly not there now but if it got half the investment that electric has got it would be flying.
Hyundai ran 4 IX35's quite a few years ago, but the hoped for refilling infrastructure was blocked. Green Tomato have (or did) Toyota Mirai quite successfully.
Consider this though, Toyota are late to the EV playing field as they consider hydrogen to be the way forward and where they have spent millions on R&D.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hyundai ran 4 IX35's quite a few years ago, but the hoped for refilling infrastructure was blocked. Green Tomato have (or did) Toyota Mirai quite successfully.
Consider this though, Toyota are late to the EV playing field as they consider hydrogen to be the way forward and where they have spent millions on R&D.
Interesting. Honda went big into it as well I believe. Fingers crossed, it's way more attractive to me than electric.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Wait until the summer .. I average 20-25kw in summer .. so far today 4kw .. been a good winter day

Covered all the tumble use
I can't quite figure out your position.
A lot of what you post suggests you're very much in favour of doing good for the environment.

And yet if you generated 4kWh in January, you must have had a nice sunny day.
In which case, why are you using a tumble drier? Washing should be hung out on sunny days. Failing to do so is hardly saving the planet.

In an earlier post, you admitted to using 9000kWh of electricity a year. Again, hardly saving the planet.

What exactly is your stance on this?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What makes me laugh about that stretch of the M1 is it is right where all the steel mills were until recently so the air is probably much cleaner now than it has been for many a year. And what difference does the 3-4 mile stretch make anyway?
I couldn’t of put it better ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't quite figure out your position.
A lot of what you post suggests you're very much in favour of doing good for the environment.

And yet if you generated 4kWh in January, you must have had a nice sunny day.
In which case, why are you using a tumble drier? Washing should be hung out on sunny days. Failing to do so is hardly saving the planet.

In an earlier post, you admitted to using 9000kWh of electricity a year. Again, hardly saving the planet.

What exactly is your stance on this?

I load shift the majority of my usage into the hours where we have a large excess of green energy and solar provides my excess

Washing doesn't go outside. We compromise, we have a heat pump tumble. That uses 1.5kw of energy per load. A normal tumble is double that, we do 10 loads of washing a week because of the kids so having it outside doesn't work well with us both working full time.

So a heat pump tumble is a compromise

Unfortunately my 25kw a day 9 kw a day is due to the base load in this house. Did a lot of investigation the freezers are the bulk of it. So when the kitchen is done will replace them .. it's that catch 22. Do you scrap them just to use less energy when they work?

So if my 9000kw 3285 is base load
A fair chunk is the car (about 1000kw)

Trying to reduce it but gas is far worth imo so we reduce our gas by using the HVAC but that means more electric used. But at the expense of gas

We used to put washing on the line returning to your original question but when we had 1 kid and My wife was off more . Unfortunately life gets in the way and when you leaving the house at 5am Just throwing it in the heat pump tumble is a lot easier (tumble uses on average 100kw a month so 1200 a year)

Was easier before the kids when it was 3 washes a week now it's 10 washes on average

I'm saving up for solid wall insulation, once that's in our gas will drop even further and even the electric drops as the HVAc won't work nearly as hard

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Honda went big into it as well I believe. Fingers crossed, it's way more attractive to me than electric.

I really hope they take off. Together EV and hydrogen will work wonders filling the void of ice cars

EV suit a lot of people , especially now 250 range ones are becoming more common, couples with charging at home perfect for a lot of people (average daily drive is apparently 30 miles.. apparently) but then there is a people it doesn't suit. If they can have hydrogen boom ice can be confined to the past ... I mean oil will still be needed but least it won't be as much

The future is very exciting.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I saw a Hyundai the other day Ev6 I think it was. Looked gorgeous. Had a quick peruse on the net. Starts at £45k ? look like buying second hand in 20 years then ☹️