The all things EV chat thread

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Massive illusion tho, brand snobbery

Remember when the Skoda superb estate was launched at a car show without a badge and everyone picked it as the car to have .. then found out was Skoda and bias set in

Think your underestimating the mg .. very popular now. People want affordable aswell as the above

The mg5 is everywhere as the private hire car of choice

It’s a bit off topic as I was responding to Larmen’s question asking would the price of the MG pull the price of other EVs down.

The two cars I mentioned the Ssang Yong and the BMW are both cars I have recently looked at as we need to replace my wife old diesel Pug because of the expanding ULEZ. Both cars are very good, but they are poles apart quality and style wise. ( All imo of course)

in regards to the MG, it’s usp is that it’s (relatively) cheap so it’s obviously the cabby car of choice, you know in London every 3rd car is an Uber Prius. Doesn’t mean i would want to buy one.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s a bit off topic as I was responding to Larmen’s question asking would the price of the MG pull the price of other EVs down.

The two cars I mentioned the Ssang Yong and the BMW are both cars I have recently looked at as we need to replace my wife old diesel Pug because of the expanding ULEZ. Both cars are very good, but they are poles apart quality and style wise. ( All imo of course)

in regards to the MG, it’s usp is that it’s (relatively) cheap so it’s obviously the cabby car of choice, you know in London every 3rd car is an Uber Prius. Doesn’t mean i would want to buy one.

You're going to be spoilt for choice this year with all the new cars being released, especially from China.

Sadly, most of which will be big SUVs, mainly aimed at the US market.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
You're going to be spoilt for choice this year with all the new cars being released, especially from China.

Sadly, most of which will be big SUVs, mainly aimed at the US market.
Fully Charged has just released a video with upcoming models. The prices will decide if they are a good step. The Astra is a decent car if it stays reasonable, I think.

I mentioned the MG as it is 'cheap' and lots of reviewers have it rated highly. It's not your Lada instead of a beamer, it is a very good car, just not luxury.
It seems to sell well, and if people move to it instead of paying 10k extra for a VW or whatever, maybe that could pull it down a little.
People that want a BMW will not get one, but they don't shop by price anyway. It's the family car market I am thinking about. A reliable good car that takes you around, not one that your neighbours look at on your driveway.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would anyone overlook the massive Chinese on many of the ev offerings?. I certainly wouldn't buy a car from China, no matter what the badge was.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're not wrong.
One of the best cars I've ever driven was a Peugeot 308 GT Line HDi Auto.
Fast, comfortable, economical and very rapid for a diesel.
Hardly sold new, if it had been given a VW or Ford badge, it would have become a best seller.

Yeah never judge a car by its badge for sure

I mean a lot do live up to stereotypes lol

But not all

BMW aren't all their cracked up to be . Just pay for the badge (owned one of them)

Vw are decent

Seat underated

I defo wont be writing off MG, some of the best EV around and so cheap .. changing the game

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah never judge a car by its badge for sure

I mean a lot do live up to stereotypes lol

But not all

BMW aren't all their cracked up to be . Just pay for the badge (owned one of them)

Vw are decent

Seat underated

I defo wont be writing off MG, some of the best EV around and so cheap .. changing the game

I have had several bmw's. And they are nearly always best in class. Superb cars. So you are wrong on that

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

However supercharging isn't as used.

I'm yet to meet an EV owner who uses it regularly

All charge at home

Its the same as motorway petrol.. overpriced

Mainly because home electric is 5% vat and supercharging is 20% vat.

All factored into average costs tho

If you drive miles and need 1 home charge and one super charge your average is still well below petrol.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...tric-vehicle-chargers-installed-in-uk-in-2022

Growing

Tesco now charge 27p a Kw for a charge on the 7kw chargers that's still 8p cheaper than the normal day rate so lot of people use them

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dirty diesel cost about £2500 to buy, does over 500 miles on a full tank, which only takes a couple of minutes to fill every two or three weeks, and can do over 60mpg.
EV's don't even come remotely close.

So, it's still a no from me.

https://www.theifod.com/what-is-the-most-efficient-form-of-transportation-on-the-planet/

Well if you go by efficiency of travel diesel is 3rd only behind bike and EV .. quite a way though

Still diesel a fantastic form of transport for now .. each to their own but ev is defo becoming the now rather than the future

They outsold new diesel last year and think December they outsold new petrol

Quick add, EV are like heat pumps, they are great if they suit yourself. But If you have a perfectly working boiler you ain't gonna change

If your set up is perfect for them (good insulation/ home charging ) then the option will be better long term they are so much more efficient

For example a boiler is what 80% efficient, heat pump 350% (only because it takes 2kw energy in to output 9kw of heat)

But until external factors are fixed ie the charging network and insulation then they won't be for everyone

Oh and cost but both are coming down

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
https://www.theifod.com/what-is-the-most-efficient-form-of-transportation-on-the-planet/

Well if you go by efficiency of travel diesel is 3rd only behind bike and EV .. quite a way though

Still diesel a fantastic form of transport for now .. each to their own but ev is defo becoming the now rather than the future

They outsold new diesel last year and think December they outsold new petrol

Quick add, EV are like heat pumps, they are great if they suit yourself. But If you have a perfectly working boiler you ain't gonna change

If your set up is perfect for them (good insulation/ home charging ) then the option will be better long term they are so much more efficient

For example a boiler is what 80% efficient, heat pump 350% (only because it takes 2kw energy in to output 9kw of heat)

But until external factors are fixed ie the charging network and insulation then they won't be for everyone

Oh and cost but both are coming down

Do you have a link for that stat mate? (Seems a bit pie in the sky)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have a link for that stat mate? (Seems a bit pie in the sky)

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2...ample, a typical air,kWh of heat is generated.

Section 6

For example, a typical air source heat pump runs at a COP 3.2 when the outside temperature is above 7°C. This means that the heat pump is 320% efficient: for each kWh of electricity used by the fans and the compressor, 3.2 kWh of heat is generated. The higher the COP, the better.

Don't get me wrong not knocking boilers they do a fantastic job and a heat pump is rubbish for me ATM

I need solid wall insulation (saving for)

Then I will use less gas. But I don't have space for a tank ... So heat pump until their combi standards of hot water are out for me

I did do my own experiment with the boiler Vs my HVACs .. did 20 degree on HVAc basically all day and it cost me the same as 2 hours of gas (based on 34p electric and 10p gas)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just bought a Vw t cross petrol.
The people I know who have EV s have put me off them.

Posted a few weeks ago my lad has a onboard charging problem ,the dealer still hasn’t got the parts 5 weeks later.
He’s lucky he has another car to use.
Seeing all the problems made my mind up.
I will buy one when they sort all the problems out but at 66 yrs old I may never see that.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just bought a Vw t cross petrol.
The people I know who have EV s have put me off them.

Posted a few weeks ago my lad has a onboard charging problem ,the dealer still hasn’t got the parts 5 weeks later.
He’s lucky he has another car to use.
Seeing all the problems made my mind up.
I will buy one when they sort all the problems out but at 66 yrs old I may never see that.

Are there no problems with ICE cars anymore?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'll argue that tbh the problems with EV are worse because they haven't trained enough techs to know how to fix them / be free to fix them

Plus the parts are harder to come by ATM because there is less EV so less parts made

And I'm massively pro EV

I've had the charger issue. Took 3 months to arrive. Its being fitted atm taken a week because they are missing a clip

However I just make them loan me an EV rather than petrol until it's done then I don't mind

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course there are but this thread is about EVs .
My son has a problem with his EV s onboard charger.
The dealer has been trying to get the part for five weeks.
The car is stuck in his driveway not able to move as it can’t be charged.
He then has to go on a waiting list for the part to be fitted.

Most problems with ice cars can be sorted a lot quicker than that imo.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2016/02/pros-and-cons-of-air-source-heat-pumps#:~:text=High Seasonal Coefficient of Performance (SCOP)&text=For example, a typical air,kWh of heat is generated.

Section 6

For example, a typical air source heat pump runs at a COP 3.2 when the outside temperature is above 7°C. This means that the heat pump is 320% efficient: for each kWh of electricity used by the fans and the compressor, 3.2 kWh of heat is generated. The higher the COP, the better.

Don't get me wrong not knocking boilers they do a fantastic job and a heat pump is rubbish for me ATM

I need solid wall insulation (saving for)

Then I will use less gas. But I don't have space for a tank ... So heat pump until their combi standards of hot water are out for me

I did do my own experiment with the boiler Vs my HVACs .. did 20 degree on HVAc basically all day and it cost me the same as 2 hours of gas (based on 34p electric and 10p gas)

Not quite the full story though, the COP the manufacturers quote are at output temperatures of around 35 deg C, so the space heat emitters need to be much larger than on a traditional hot water heating system and domestic hot water at that temperature is not hot enough. Also the efficiency does fall off quite dramatically below +5 deg C, especially in the UK where we have high humidity because the heat exchanger begins to build up frost which reduces the output dramatically until the system need to switch to reverse cycle to defrost.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite the full story though, the COP the manufacturers quote are at output temperatures of around 35 deg C, so the space heat emitters need to be much larger than on a traditional hot water heating system and domestic hot water at that temperature is not hot enough. Also the efficiency does fall off quite dramatically below +5 deg C, especially in the UK where we have high humidity because the heat exchanger begins to build up frost which reduces the output dramatically until the system need to switch to reverse cycle to defrost.

All very true, altho with correct insulation levels radiators don't need to be too big. My house for example tho all but 1 rad is a double convector anyways so wouldnt need to upgrade the others

The under 5 degree is very true however the drop off still would make it more efficient compared .. 320% is the mpg figure in the show room

Real world if it's 200% it wouldn't be a bad thing would it? Compared to 80% that's not bad at all

Still prefer a boiler for me ATM tho