The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe one day, garages will have 2 ''pumps'', not for diesel and petrol but for EVs and hydrogen, but hydrogen will have to get a wriggle on as it's about 10 years behind EVs now.
There's one for sale on Autotrader.
2017 Toyota Mirai 35,750 miles £31,999 insurance group 45D

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...chad=Used&radius=1500&postcode=ng348xf&page=1

One of the many problems Hydrogen cars will have is lack of choice in filling up, you'll have to use a garage, therefor paying the govt. their chunk of tax. Ev owners who can will just charge at home, and those who can't will charge at the supermarket, gym, cinema, work, car parks etc anywhere with electricity.

What are the chances of ICE car drivers switching to hydrogen which cost a lot more to buy, insure and fill up.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I load shift the majority of my usage into the hours where we have a large excess of green energy and solar provides my excess

Washing doesn't go outside. We compromise, we have a heat pump tumble. That uses 1.5kw of energy per load. A normal tumble is double that, we do 10 loads of washing a week because of the kids so having it outside doesn't work well with us both working full time.

So a heat pump tumble is a compromise

Unfortunately my 25kw a day 9 kw a day is due to the base load in this house. Did a lot of investigation the freezers are the bulk of it. So when the kitchen is done will replace them .. it's that catch 22. Do you scrap them just to use less energy when they work?

So if my 9000kw 3285 is base load
A fair chunk is the car (about 1000kw)

Trying to reduce it but gas is far worth imo so we reduce our gas by using the HVAC but that means more electric used. But at the expense of gas

We used to put washing on the line returning to your original question but when we had 1 kid and My wife was off more . Unfortunately life gets in the way and when you leaving the house at 5am Just throwing it in the heat pump tumble is a lot easier (tumble uses on average 100kw a month so 1200 a year)

Was easier before the kids when it was 3 washes a week now it's 10 washes on average

I'm saving up for solid wall insulation, once that's in our gas will drop even further and even the electric drops as the HVAc won't work nearly as hard
Fair enough. I guess you're doing all you can in light of your family circumstances. Ending up with 3 kids when you planned on 2 must have made a big difference.

My gut feeling is that replacing working freezers with more efficient ones is counter-productive. I wonder what the carbon footprint of manufacturing a freezer is? Must be equivalent to years of further use of your existing ones.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe one day, garages will have 2 ''pumps'', not for diesel and petrol but for EVs and hydrogen, but hydrogen will have to get a wriggle on as it's about 10 years behind EVs now.
There's one for sale on Autotrader.
2017 Toyota Mirai 35,750 miles £31,999 insurance group 45D

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202210210960386?sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Hydrogen&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&postcode=ng348xf&page=1

One of the many problems Hydrogen cars will have is lack of choice in filling up, you'll have to use a garage, therefor paying the govt. their chunk of tax. Ev owners who can will just charge at home, and those who can't will charge at the supermarket, gym, cinema, work, car parks etc anywhere with electricity.

What are the chances of ICE car drivers switching to hydrogen which cost a lot more to buy, insure and fill up.
Why do you think leccy will always be cheap, and likewise EV's always cheap to charge?
As the duty income levels drop of petrol and diesel, leccy will go up especially for your EV. It's bonkers to think EV's will always be cheap to charge.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do you think leccy will always be cheap, and likewise EV's always cheap to charge?
As the duty income levels drop of petrol and diesel, leccy will go up especially for your EV. It's bonkers to think EV's will always be cheap to charge.

Solar and wind are the cheapest forms of energy available today.
And as the cost of installing solar panels continues to drop, how are the govt going tax charging at home?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

One huge problem with hydrogen is that current production methods are environmentally terrible - it's probably the worst fuel around in that respect (apart from coal).
The oil companies are trying to promote "blue hydrogen", but that's hardly much better.
The only environmentally acceptable form is green hydrogen, but it's ruinously expensive to produce in terms of electricity comsumption.

If some miracle happens (fusion, perhaps) and suddenly electricity is plentiful and cheap, then you could think about large scale green hydrogen use for scenarios where electricity isn't appropriate - eg. long range transport. But in that case, if you have effectively free electricity, you could use it to manufacture synthetic gasoline and use the existing infrastructure to distribute it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Solar and wind are the cheapest forms of energy available today.
And as the cost of installing solar panels continues to drop, how are the govt going tax charging at home?
They will find a way, how else are they going to balance their books?
Perhaps they will bring a weight tax, the heavier the car the more you pay. Already have something along those lines for HGV's.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps they will bring a weight tax, the heavier the car the more you pay. Already have something along those lines for HGV's.

I agree but you were talking about the cost of charging.
And if the oil and gas companies continue to lose profits as more switch to EVs, do you think they will lower their pump prices?
Not on your nelly.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
They will find a way, how else are they going to balance their books?
They will find a way, and it's guaranteed to be a stupid, regressive way. There's already talk of GPS-based road use charging. Yes, I know that road use charging can incorporate stuff like where and when you drive and adjust rates to take account of congestion, but it's a complex problem and we all know how well government IT systems tend to work.

For God's sake, electric vehicles record how much electricity you've put into them. All you need to do is retrieve that data at the yearly MOT and add a suitable amount to the bill (eg. 5p per kWh). Simples.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
They could stop paying fossil fuel companies £10 billion per year, that would help.

Britain currently supports the fossil fuel industry through tax breaks and subsidies for exploration and research and development to the tune of £10 billion a year, according to latest figures from the OECD.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-trade-pact-fossil-fuel-subsidies-tariffs-green-goods/#:~:text=Britain is hosting the COP26 summit in Glasgow.&text=Britain currently supports the fossil,latest figures from the OECD.

Had a quick read of that and quite frankly it proper bogs me off. We shut pits coz they were not profitable and it was costing the taxpayer to subsidise jobs. Then the mantra changed that we shut pits coz there dirty.Yet we still through the taxpayer pay billions to subsidise fossil fuel. We are paying a fortune in energy. ????? This country for as long as I have known has never had a proper energy policy.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's far worse than that. If you include all the indirect subsidies that fossil fuels get, it amounts to about 6 TRILLION dollars per year.
Edit: that's worldwide, I forgot to mention that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough. I guess you're doing all you can in light of your family circumstances. Ending up with 3 kids when you planned on 2 must have made a big difference.

My gut feeling is that replacing working freezers with more efficient ones is counter-productive. I wonder what the carbon footprint of manufacturing a freezer is? Must be equivalent to years of further use of your existing ones.

Yes it certainly changed all the plans. Pushed a few things into the long grass.

We have been here 8 years now , the previous owner left us : big freezer, tumble, washing machine and a dishwasher.. the washing machine and tumble gave up when first kid arrived so we got new low energy versions. Will do same with that freezer and the dishwasher.

Few months ago I went round finding what was using the most electric, was disappointed to find it was out fridge freezer that we bought when we moved in. So it's 8 years old. Obviously back then energy wasn't at the forefront just needed a fridge freezer. But like the dishwasher and other freezer it works so won't scrap.

My nan gave us a small freezer in the summer for all my work batch cooking, that's very efficient luckily.

The air fryer has cut the usage dramatically but that was dumb luck, I wanted one before the crisis and then when turned out they saved energy what a win. So much so that in 10 years or so when we redo this kitchen I'd get a small oven (big stupid double oven range thing ATM) with an induction hob (as trying to cut gas) and prob a bigger air fryer.

I mean it's 9am Saturday, we were down by 7, one wash dried overnight and the second is 23 mins from Drying now after washing overnight .. not ideal but it works. All load shifted as the battery charges up in the excess hours of the grid and gets us off grid in day.

But had to add a dehumidifier before Xmas in the box room, as until that solid wall insulation is done, we get condensation in that room which is annoying. So use that to save the walls in corner from mold.

Balancing act from cutting usage to keeping the house going and safe lol

Early winter for example, we would use the HVAc overnight for 3 hours to get downstairs nice and warm rather than use the gas. So it used a lot less energy than the gas and better for environment. But put our electricity usage up. did same for bathtime aswell just upstairs.. but once it got cold cold we just used heating

Another part of the balancing act is if we Tumble most of washing overnight then it's ready first thing in morning, with Mrs back to full time again now she likes to have it all away before she goes to work. I get that. Personally I'd pile it up lol

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s quite shocking given the profits they make..

It is and it isn't.

Its shocking that we accept how corrupt the industry is.

I mean did you see this other day?

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...l-warming-research?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Oil giant predicted climate change in the 70s spot on but spent decades trashing it as bad for business

Saw one other day can't find it now how gas giant is complaining how profits will drop when hydrogen and heat pumps are more widely used

I mean for the love of Christ what's more important your profit or what's best for all of us?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is and it isn't.

Its shocking that we accept how corrupt the industry is.

I mean did you see this other day?

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...l-warming-research?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Oil giant predicted climate change in the 70s spot on but spent decades trashing it as bad for business

Saw one other day can't find it now how gas giant is complaining how profits will drop when hydrogen and heat pumps are more widely used

I mean for the love of Christ what's more important your profit or what's best for all of us?
Think we all know the answer to that.
I can understand subsidies to help create jobs.
but to firms that make the profits they do I can’t.
but I suppose the taxes they pay offsets this a bit.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NEW. Estimated 1.2 million diesel & petrol cars in Scotland will be banned from Glasgow city centre from June to cut emissions. Edinburgh, Dundee & Aberdeen next year. Critics call it an attack on the poor, putting personal safety at risk. This’ll be big