The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While I'm not disagreeing with him on most of that video clip, no idea on efficiency and I'm sure the cost would be massive, where would the nitrous oxides that he's saying would be produced come from? If you burn hydrogen the waste product is water.

https://www.endsreport.com/article/1723633/scientist-warns-nox-urban-pollution-hydrogen-boilers

Only in cars does it just produce water I believe

It reminds me of covid when we wanted vaccines to solve the issue .. we wait for it to be developed but the reality is it's still an issue and doesn't cure the situation entirely

On the subject of efficient heat pumps

Sunday I run my HVACs all day to test. Well I say all day 03:00-2200 downstairs and 07-00-1800 upstairs

So out of 5 inside units 2 on most of day .. and both outside units constantly on

Anyways it used 15kw of electric, was set between 20-22 degree for a lovely comfortable temp.. too hot at 22 had to turn down but kept the kids rooms at 22

It cost £5.10 at the gov cap

At the same cap for gas that's 2.5 hours of central heating

If I could get instant hot water from a heat pump I'd get one

If I had a tank I'd get one

D

Deleted member 23270

https://www.endsreport.com/article/1723633/scientist-warns-nox-urban-pollution-hydrogen-boilers

Only in cars does it just produce water I believe

It reminds me of covid when we wanted vaccines to solve the issue .. we wait for it to be developed but the reality is it's still an issue and doesn't cure the situation entirely

On the subject of efficient heat pumps

Sunday I run my HVACs all day to test. Well I say all day 03:00-2200 downstairs and 07-00-1800 upstairs

So out of 5 inside units 2 on most of day .. and both outside units constantly on

Anyways it used 15kw of electric, was set between 20-22 degree for a lovely comfortable temp.. too hot at 22 had to turn down but kept the kids rooms at 22

It cost £5.10 at the gov cap

At the same cap for gas that's 2.5 hours of central heating

If I could get instant hot water from a heat pump I'd get one

If I had a tank I'd get one
I'm curious to know how much you've spent on all these devices around your house and how long it will take to get the money back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm curious to know how much you've spent on all these devices around your house and how long it will take to get the money back.

Panels and battery 15k .. break even 8-10 years depending on energy prices.

HVAc 6k but dont care about breaking even because it's like getting a new kitchen it improves my quality of life. We now are comfortable in our own home in summer and reduces our gas usage in the winter

Realistically the break even for the HVAc would depend on how much gas I hold off using because I use them to heat the house and that is then factored by how much I save using the cheap electric stored in the battery but because the HVAc is pure comfort rather than a money saver i haven't tracked it

Both combined reduce My carbon footprint and in the summer the HVAc is free to run from the panels

Panels and battery has been a great investment, thus far has saved me £400, however that's based on fact my energy rate is still fixed at 14p day 5p night

When in Feb it goes to 40p day 15p night (if I go on eco 7 12p on EV but that's another discussion based on selling back) then my savings jump up ..rather than saving 8.5p a kw im then saving 25p a kw and I use 9000 kw a year which is £2200 saving per year (however I'm working on cutting down usage, which is a balance as it prolongs my payback but I also push it up everytime I use the HVAc not the boiler but that's offsetting )

D

Deleted member 23270

Panels and battery 15k .. break even 8-10 years depending on energy prices.

HVAc 6k but dont care about breaking even because it's like getting a new kitchen it improves my quality of life. We now are comfortable in our own home in summer and reduces our gas usage in the winter

Realistically the break even for the HVAc would depend on how much gas I hold off using because I use them to heat the house and that is then factored by how much I save using the cheap electric stored in the battery but because the HVAc is pure comfort rather than a money saver i haven't tracked it

Both combined reduce My carbon footprint and in the summer the HVAc is free to run from the panels

Panels and battery has been a great investment, thus far has saved me £400, however that's based on fact my energy rate is still fixed at 14p day 5p night

When in Feb it goes to 40p day 15p night (if I go on eco 7 12p on EV but that's another discussion based on selling back) then my savings jump up ..rather than saving 8.5p a kw im then saving 25p a kw and I use 9000 kw a year which is £2200 saving per year (however I'm working on cutting down usage, which is a balance as it prolongs my payback but I also push it up everytime I use the HVAc not the boiler but that's offsetting )
Interesting. Expensive up front but sounds worthwhile for anyone intending to live in the same house long term ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Expensive up front but sounds worthwhile for anyone intending to live in the same house long term ?

That is the Crux of the issue, if you plan to move it adds a whole new level of thought into the process

We bought this 3 bed semi, got a loft added so 4 bed. Planned 2 kids but ended up with twins second time around . But the house still suits our needs entirely, it's a nice size. Not too big that when they leave home we would be struggling but big enough for us to live comfortably. So then when this energy crisis hit I finally managed to convince the wife of solar (she didn't want it when we moved, didn't want when the loft was done, but then this) my view is we will pay these prices to the energy companies so why not invest in our house and then when it's paid off it's just cheaper bills

10 year fixed mortgage at a lowish rate . Once fix ends mortgage is done.

Battery could move with us. Panels not worth it, they risk breaking and it's more efficient to get new and sell with the system for next owner

I have a few more projects lined up in my mind but with cost of living I refuse to borrow anymore and will have to save, I want solid wall insulation, lot of work but then the gas gets cut even more .. I'd look at a heat pump but I don't have space for a tank however I could keep the combi just for hot water and heat pump for heating as it would work well.. hybrid system .. just again a cost ..

The home mortgage luckily is fixed for another 6 years to get eldest to secondary school and then I will sit down and access what is and isn't affordable project wise.

Im 35 so I hope to have another 40 plus years in that house. Slow and steady improvement

#to keep on subject, I will be buying another EV in 2025 to replace the Corsa. Mg by looks but I won't replace the Alhambra, I will keep that until it's not worth keeping. It only does 3000 miles a year the EV does 12,000

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting we are still in positive figures with the energy increases. I'm not 100% sold on EV with energy prices being the cheap future driving. SO I took a 3 year lease @ 153 miles a week (8000)

Figures still stack up in favour of the EV - 2021 difference was £6.72 and with fuel and energy prices ev is cheaper again @ £8.32 per 153 miles (take into account the interest we have on the sold YARIS sport and it losing value over 3 years which it's yet to do :eek: CAP figures shows increase +1k) still a POSITIVE experience but in 2 years it might not be if energy doesn't turn around or I buy a nuclear energy plant for the back garden.

Still the best drive if you favour motorways over back roads (y)

free works charger to be replaced in 2022 :cry:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting we are still in positive figures with the energy increases. I'm not 100% sold on EV with energy prices being the cheap future driving. SO I took a 3 year lease @ 153 miles a week (8000)

Figures still stack up in favour of the EV - 2021 difference was £6.72 and with fuel and energy prices ev is cheaper again @ £8.32 per 153 miles (take into account the interest we have on the sold YARIS sport and it losing value over 3 years which it's yet to do :eek: CAP figures shows increase +1k) still a POSITIVE experience but in 2 years it might not be if energy doesn't turn around or I buy a nuclear energy plant for the back garden.

Still the best drive if you favour motorways over back roads (y)

free works charger to be replaced in 2022 :cry:

have you got onto an EV tariff at home?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate is a car dealer. They have 7 teslas atm and thry have all dropped by near 4k in the first half of the month. As a dealer he says electric cars are a disaster for the motor trade

D

Deleted member 23270

I've heard recently that all grants for home chargers have stopped and they can now cost around 2 grand, is this true? ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've heard recently that all grants for home chargers have stopped and they can now cost around 2 grand, is this true? ?

not this isnt true , home grants may have stopped but the install are from £1000 for some chargers and less for others

its much like the misinformation when the gov grant stopped on evs over a certain price

they simply lowered the price of the EVs to keep the price similar

much as I love bashing the government sometimes the industries just use these grants to inflate the price of the product and once its gone they lower it back down

https://octopus.energy/get-an-ev-ch...6fbqygCo9E_z36ENoQSmOjsozCfTS7bAaAk1nEALw_wcB

from £999 with octopus here

that exact charger I was looking at for £550 and installing myself as I have all the other equipment

https://www.electricpoint.com/ohme-...i40_or3qje5gL4OfcNgd2tNaTaYBxe60aAl9lEALw_wcB

I mean when you factor in an MCB trip, armored cable , the charger itself (more if tethered) you are prob looking at £600-700 and the rest is the fee to have a sparky install it

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
not this isnt true , home grants may have stopped but the install are from £1000 for some chargers and less for others

its much like the misinformation when the gov grant stopped on evs over a certain price

they simply lowered the price of the EVs to keep the price similar

much as I love bashing the government sometimes the industries just use these grants to inflate the price of the product and once its gone they lower it back down

https://octopus.energy/get-an-ev-ch...6fbqygCo9E_z36ENoQSmOjsozCfTS7bAaAk1nEALw_wcB

from £999 with octopus here

that exact charger I was looking at for £550 and installing myself as I have all the other equipment

https://www.electricpoint.com/ohme-...i40_or3qje5gL4OfcNgd2tNaTaYBxe60aAl9lEALw_wcB

I mean when you factor in an MCB trip, armored cable , the charger itself (more if tethered) you are prob looking at £600-700 and the rest is the fee to have a sparky install it

£899 for 7KW Podpoint fitted

https://pod-point.com/products/driver/solo

D

Deleted member 23270

In the worst scenario for EVs but certainly not the 115 Rory quoted.
TBH Bob I'm more inclined to believe a reputable professional car review channel than a home blogger but you make up your own mind. Rory Reid and Autocar have no agenda against EVs they simply report the facts as they find them so that people can make up their own minds. You clearly have rose tinted glasses, when are you getting your Tesla?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH Bob I'm more inclined to believe a reputable professional car review channel than a home blogger but you make up your own mind. Rory Reid and Autocar have no agenda against EVs they simply report the facts as they find them so that people can make up their own minds. You clearly have rose tinted glasses, when are you getting your Tesla?

to be fair to Rory he normally is very balances, he is actually pro EV he likes all types of cars

I enjoy his videos on Evs

D

Deleted member 1740

We have a Hybrid merc just over 12months old. Mrs C was coming out of work Tuesday evening and car wouldn't start. AA sent out a contractor to try and get her goin but no joy. Had to leave it there til AA could retreive it and take it to the Merc dealership.

Update no car and they dont know what is wrong with it. Both mechanics who looked at it shook their heads trying to fix it.

I couldnt rely on a fully electric motor. I certainly wouldnt buy a 2nd hand one neither.

Shes currently stuck with no veichle.

Just an update, we got the motor back yesterday, a faulty 12v Battery was the cause.

It seems it's a common fault amongst EV.

Her work colleague had the same issue and his Merc was only 4weeks old.

Speaking to an expert mechanic he wasn't very complimentary about EV's.