The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just an update, we got the motor back yesterday, a faulty 12v Battery was the cause.

It seems it's a common fault amongst EV.

Her work colleague had the same issue and his Merc was only 4weeks old.

Speaking to an expert mechanic he wasn't very complimentary about EV's.

the problem with dealer mechanics is training atm. nothing against your guy but in my experience my dealer only has one person trained on EVs and if they arent in nobody knows what their doing

12 volt is a common issue indeed with all EVs I believe its why tesla are looking to move away from them and go into lithum batteries for their starting batteries

I have found the couple of issues I have had with my EV are simply fixed by disconnecting the 12 volt for 30 seconds and then back on and the car resets and the problems cured.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
the problem with dealer mechanics is training atm. nothing against your guy but in my experience my dealer only has one person trained on EVs and if they arent in nobody knows what their doing

12 volt is a common issue indeed with all EVs I believe its why tesla are looking to move away from them and go into lithum batteries for their starting batteries

I have found the couple of issues I have had with my EV are simply fixed by disconnecting the 12 volt for 30 seconds and then back on and the car resets and the problems cured.
The issue has already had a fix. My car has a 12v button. Basically this is used to start the car off the main battery when the 12v is bost!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
TBH Bob I'm more inclined to believe a reputable professional car review channel than a home blogger but you make up your own mind.

Maybe if he drove it the same way he drives his cars, he might only get 115 miles range which he estimated.
The blogger actually drove the buzz from full to empty and under the worst conditions for EVs still got 158 miles.

No rose tinted glasses here.

At 9:14 he clearly states that BOTH the rear brakes on his 72,300 mile Nissan Leaf were 100% worn and needed immediate attention, which disproves the story that EVs are easy on their brakes. ''Nonsense!'' exclaimed the reputable professional car reviewer.

However rather than taking his word for it, I checked.
The MOT states and I quote the advisory....

''Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

So he lied or just didn't check the MOT

If he was that keen on EVs, why did he buy the cheapest Nissan Leaf he could find on Autotrader and then make a video entitled
''Everything I HATE About My Used Electric Car''

Last edited:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
NO as the engineer form Octopus couldn't fit the smart meter in the electric box due to the EV box being installed in there and taking up all the space. luckily my figures are just a comparison on regular tariffs (we get free charging at work and yet to use home BOX this year #FingersCrossed)

Octopus go @ 12p would be the next move if FREE gets taken away this year and possible ongoing for next LEASE or purchase.

have you got onto an EV tariff at home?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
100% one of the big faults, it's doesn't get charged properly so they just DIE / wear out after a few years, my old ZOE did the same. replaced and no issues again

Just an update, we got the motor back yesterday, a faulty 12v Battery was the cause.

It seems it's a common fault amongst EV.

Her work colleague had the same issue and his Merc was only 4weeks old.

Speaking to an expert mechanic he wasn't very complimentary about EV's.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NO as the engineer form Octopus couldn't fit the smart meter in the electric box due to the EV box being installed in there and taking up all the space. luckily my figures are just a comparison on regular tariffs (we get free charging at work and yet to use home BOX this year #FingersCrossed)

Octopus go @ 12p would be the next move if FREE gets taken away this year and possible ongoing for next LEASE or purchase.

Ah that's a shame, might be worth looking into getting it changed so they can get the metre in , get a ohme home charger then you can go intelligent rather than go 10p ATM for 6 hours

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
that is utterly brilliant. wish others would follow hyundai

The Hyundai i5 is plagued by 12v battery issues which so far the company has refused to acknowledge. It seems that, during shipping, the voltage was left to run so low that by the time the customer picked them up the battery was shagged. It was a lottery as to whether you had a good one or not. I have been fortunate and, so far, have not had the electrical issues that a lot of other customers have had.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Hyundai i5 is plagued by 12v battery issues which so far the company has refused to acknowledge. It seems that, during shipping, the voltage was left to run so low that by the time the customer picked them up the battery was shagged. It was a lottery as to whether you had a good one or not. I have been fortunate and, so far, have not had the electrical issues that a lot of other customers have had.
So the worst thing that happened is these unfortunate people needed a new 12v battery? On warranty?. This happened to me. It was hardly an electrical issue. It was an embarrassing conversation with the AA man when he showed me what the 12v recovery button does and 20 minutes sat in the hyundai dealership whilst they swapped the 12v

Unless you're talking about something else entirely. I'm not familiar with the iconic. The kona is slightly different

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Maybe if he drove it the same way he drives his cars, he might only get 115 miles range which he estimated.
The blogger actually drove the buzz from full to empty and under the worst conditions for EVs still got 158 miles.

No rose tinted glasses here.

At 9:14 he clearly states that BOTH the rear brakes on his 72,300 mile Nissan Leaf were 100% worn and needed immediate attention, which disproves the story that EVs are easy on their brakes. ''Nonsense!'' exclaimed the reputable professional car reviewer.

However rather than taking his word for it, I checked.
The MOT states and I quote the advisory....

''Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

So he lied or just didn't check the MOT

If he was that keen on EVs, why did he buy the cheapest Nissan Leaf he could find on Autotrader and then make a video entitled
''Everything I HATE About My Used Electric Car''
You have clearly missed the point about this series of videos he has done about buying 'the cheapest EV on the market'. Instead of cherry picking individual issues I suggest you follow the whole thing.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So the worst thing that happened is these unfortunate people needed a new 12v battery? On warranty?.

People were getting stranded with no power, many were having to buy the battery jump packs as they couldn’t trust the 12v to start it. Hyundai refused to acknowledge the problem and, as such, dealerships were less than helpful at sorting the problem out. You should t be buying a £50k car and having to take an 8mm wrench and a battery jump pack as part of your standard ‘leaving the house equipment’.

I think it’s got easier to resolve now as Hyundai we’re forced into as as many more of the cars hit the road. It’s just a shame they took so long to actually acknowledge that it existed in the early stages.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
People were getting stranded with no power, many were having to buy the battery jump packs as they couldn’t trust the 12v to start it. Hyundai refused to acknowledge the problem and, as such, dealerships were less than helpful at sorting the problem out. You should t be buying a £50k car and having to take an 8mm wrench and a battery jump pack as part of your standard ‘leaving the house equipment’.

I think it’s got easier to resolve now as Hyundai we’re forced into as as many more of the cars hit the road. It’s just a shame they took so long to actually acknowledge that it existed in the early stages.
I agree its not good at all. We can all think of many manufacturers (especially land-rover) where cars don't make it to there first 100 miles. It happens. It's fixed now though so what's the issue ?‍♂️. Is a iconic 50k? ???. I had no idea. I would be miffed

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree it’s not good at all. We can all think of many manufacturers (especially land-rover) where cars don't make it to their first 100 miles. It happens. It's fixed now though so what's the issue ?‍♂️. Is a iconic 50k? ???. I had no idea. I would be miffed

Yeah, that was the top end spec however even at the lower end they’re £40k cars.

Anyway, my point was that there was always going to be teething problems, new car, new platform. It was just a shame that Hyundai’s service was pretty shoddy to people who’d shelled out and were the unlucky ones who were getting told that they’d need to stump up for the battery as it wasn’t covered in the warranty being a consumable.

D

Deleted member 1740

Paying £30k+ for a new motor and you're suggesting to fix a common problem yourself?

I'll let my missus know how simple it is to sort out in future, im sure she'd be well up for that after a busy 12hour shift with very little break in ICU.??

It seems anything negative towards any EV and you've got to spin it. Do you really believe this utter tosh you post?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paying £30k+ for a new motor and you're suggesting to fix a common problem yourself?

I'll let my missus know how simple it is to sort out in future, im sure she'd be well up for that after a busy 12hour shift with very little break in ICU.??

It seems anything negative towards any EV and you've got to spin it. Do you really believe this utter tosh you post?

No I'm not suggesting that at all, it's all part of the learning process for manufacturers, the newer models have far less issues

They adapt each software update to fix a lot of issues aswell

I'm just saying I've found a quick reset has solved my issues in the past , however it shouldn't happen. Since I took the car back to vauxhall and they updated the software I haven't had the issue (touch wood) in 4 months

I'm not suggesting your wife should get out her overalls and take the car apart. Just if a bind and litterally stuck miles from home it doesn't hurt to do the reset if it gets you home.

She would only be waiting for the rac or the aa right? If it gets her home sooner and then cancel the aa

Much like when my normal car had a flat battery right when the wife was going away in it. We jumped it and off she left

Aa were on the way and if jumping didn't work they would have replaced the battery ..

This isn't pro EV or anti ice it's just a little tip.

Take it how you want.

D

Deleted member 1740

No I'm not suggesting that at all, it's all part of the learning process for manufacturers, the newer models have far less issues

They adapt each software update to fix a lot of issues aswell

I'm just saying I've found a quick reset has solved my issues in the past , however it shouldn't happen. Since I took the car back to vauxhall and they updated the software I haven't had the issue (touch wood) in 4 months

I'm not suggesting your wife should get out her overalls and take the car apart. Just if a bind and litterally stuck miles from home it doesn't hurt to do the reset if it gets you home.

She would only be waiting for the rac or the aa right? If it gets her home sooner and then cancel the aa

Much like when my normal car had a flat battery right when the wife was going away in it. We jumped it and off she left

Aa were on the way and if jumping didn't work they would have replaced the battery ..

This isn't pro EV or anti ice it's just a little tip.

Take it how you want.

Thanks for the tip, i'll order a spare 12v battery now, she'll be able to swap it out before the AA arrive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, i'll order a spare 12v battery now, she'll be able to swap it out before the AA arrive.

So couple Xmas ago, when My parents had no heating .. with a fault code on the boiler and no tech could get out for 2 weeks you kindly offered a tip to try to help, appreciate you are a plumber .. however did I say na we paid £5000 for this boiler I'm gonna not even try it ....

Just trying to repay the favour.