The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You just don't get it, everything you post is about YOU.

YOU have a cheap night tariff, YOU have access to off road parking, YOU do short journeys so range isn't an issue.

I have said many times that I would like to go EV but the system at present wouldn't suit me. In the last 18 months I have made journeys from the South Coast to S Wales, N Wales twice, Liverpool, Ireland twice (one trip I practically circumnavigated the entire island), east Anglia, Nottingham and the Hebrides. I shudder to think how many hours I would have spent sat charging the car on those journeys if I had a car with a range of 200 miles! And don't respond with 'buy a long range Tesla' because I haven't got in excess of 50k to spend on an EV. In fact don't respond at all because I'm not interested in your one sided views any more and you will be wasting your own time.

Right Dave, Listen and listen well.

It is not all about me. I was using my situation as ONE example. However shall we take over examples? @hovis care to put your many travels distance on EV? or @pool888 what about yourself? so dave cant complain that he thinks my situation is unique.

I know many EV owners personally. not one of them has to use the rapid network. Infact one bought a tesla second hand and he still gets free charging for life on it so he uses the one near his house.

when in the previous replies today have I said buy an EV? I have not at all. They arent suited to everyone. However they are suited to many and make up for much more % of new car purchases now. thats a fact.

my views may in YOUR opinion be one sided however considering I lease an EV and own a diesel car I can fully judge BOTH sides of the situation and owning an EV for coming up to 2 years has convinced me I NEVER want to buy an ICE car again. thats MY situation. Not EVERYONES. (hope the capitals are making it more clear to YOU as you seem incapable of digesting information)

I will purchased a Bigger EV for my family but I will keep the diesel until it dies as YOU rightly point out they are fantastic for longer journeys.. so no use throwing it away use it until its make ecological and financial sense to part with.

I fully appreciate that right now EV does not suit YOU and many others. however as stated it suits a lot of people.

feel free to find me the % of people who entirely charge on the expensive rapid charge network and dont have any access to other kinds of charging. will be interesting to read the facts rather than the hyperbolt comments which you come up with then when challenged run away because "cant have a discussion" because you actually havent done basic research.

good evening.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

whilst he raises some brilliant points, he however does fall into the category of wall-box at home and off street parking so he can only estimate what the impact would be (good or bad, same as I can only do the same) so whilst his video is thought provoking without a follow up from somebody who is the opposite to him and only uses public charging it doesnt give much information at all.

However tax will come. all new chargers have to be able to say how much KW has been through them (ready to be taxed no doubt, so they can see what is EV and what isnt)
cheap night rates will be around for longer than he worries as they are desperate to get as many people on the night usage as possible to keep the grid balanced. thats a fact, even eco 7 is half the price atm than normal electric so just using eco 7 is a huge saving.
he is fully correct if everyone gets one then whats the draw at once, another octopus innovation in octopus intelligent tariff, plug car in after 5pm, select what time you want it ready and it maps a charge, you get your normal cheap hours (6 at 10p) but it will fill it up when the grid has excess so the more of these tariffs about and cars will charge as and when the grid needs (providing the owners get the charge they need at the time they need)

I am still interest to see how many % of EV drivers fall into his 2 cat he gave. Ie charge at home with a drive and wall box, and charge public.. its not 50/50 for sure.. more like 90/10 .. but would like proper figures.

there are many sub cats aswell. those who have the ability to charge at work for example

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You do realise that some people have no choice and have to use public chargers?

If you are changing your car and thinking of an EV, do your research first.
If you cant charge at home and there aren't many chargers near you or at work, don't buy one and then complain about the cost of public charging.
It's not difficult.
Then in 5-10 years time, reassess

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you are changing your car and thinking of an EV, do your research first.
If you cant charge at home and there aren't many chargers near you or at work, don't buy one and then complain about the cost of public charging.
It's not difficult.
Then in 5-10 years time, reassess

Absolutely spot on.
It's not bloody hard is it????
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right Dave, Listen and listen well.

It is not all about me. I was using my situation as ONE example. However shall we take over examples? @hovis care to put your many travels distance on EV? or @pool888 what about yourself? so dave cant complain that he thinks my situation is unique.

I know many EV owners personally. not one of them has to use the rapid network. Infact one bought a tesla second hand and he still gets free charging for life on it so he uses the one near his house.

when in the previous replies today have I said buy an EV? I have not at all. They arent suited to everyone. However they are suited to many and make up for much more % of new car purchases now. thats a fact.

my views may in YOUR opinion be one sided however considering I lease an EV and own a diesel car I can fully judge BOTH sides of the situation and owning an EV for coming up to 2 years has convinced me I NEVER want to buy an ICE car again. thats MY situation. Not EVERYONES. (hope the capitals are making it more clear to YOU as you seem incapable of digesting information)

I will purchased a Bigger EV for my family but I will keep the diesel until it dies as YOU rightly point out they are fantastic for longer journeys.. so no use throwing it away use it until its make ecological and financial sense to part with.

I fully appreciate that right now EV does not suit YOU and many others. however as stated it suits a lot of people.

feel free to find me the % of people who entirely charge on the expensive rapid charge network and dont have any access to other kinds of charging. will be interesting to read the facts rather than the hyperbolt comments which you come up with then when challenged run away because "cant have a discussion" because you actually havent done basic research.

good evening.
I have done over 32k miles in 20 months. I've travelled from the Midlands to Scotland, Wales and Cornwall in that time and just recently returned from a fishing trip in France. I have charging at home. Over the 32k miles I have driven I can count on my hands how many times I've "needed" to charge my car on the go as I have a real world range of 280 miles.
People seen to love the excuse of "waiting and waiting for the car to charge". On the very rare occasion I have needed to charge my car on a rapid charger I have simply used that time (30 minutes). To take a dump and get some food.

People just hate change and push against it as much as possible

D

Deleted member 23270

I have done over 32k miles in 20 months. I've travelled from the Midlands to Scotland, Wales and Cornwall in that time and just recently returned from a fishing trip in France. I have charging at home. Over the 32k miles I have driven I can count on my hands how many times I've "needed" to charge my car on the go as I have a real world range of 280 miles.
People seen to love the excuse of "waiting and waiting for the car to charge". On the very rare occasion I have needed to charge my car on a rapid charger I have simply used that time (30 minutes). To take a dump and get some food.

People just hate change and push against it as much as possible
Excellent, how much was your car new?