The all things EV chat thread

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know you love to disagree with anything and you are in an even more grumpy mood than normal due to your injury

so ill agreed to disagree.

Lovely to see smart people coming up with ideas around issues and hopefully they will solve the other bits soon to make sure it meets health and safety aswell.
It should meet H&S first not after install.
I can see someone tripping and the owner in court.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It should meet H&S first not after install.
I can see someone tripping and the owner in court.

Considering the council install these I think in this case the council would be liable so health and safety must have been given some kind of waiver or why would they put it in?

The same council say you can't run cables fr your house to your car but then put in these lamposts

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering the council install these I think in this case the council would be liable so health and safety must have been given some kind of waiver or why would they put it in?

The same council say you can't run cables fr your house to your car but then put in these lamposts
A lot of things have been dropped in the planning these days.
What about a blind person ?
These cables need a lot more thought .
They will just sue the council it’s their job to keep pavements safe, or was.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

If that Council is like our Council it has many arms and none of them have a clue what the others are doing....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of things have been dropped in the planning these days.
What about a blind person ?
These cables need a lot more thought .
They will just sue the council it’s their job to keep pavements safe, or was.

Screenshot_20221029-134142_copy_432x725.png

The offending Lampost , it's for those marked bays as opposed to just along pavement

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The cable will still be on almost 1/3 rd of the pavement though.
In our H&S obsessed councils I find that very strange.
maybe promoting green and moving to net zero is being prioritised with the fines just paid out for claims , mitigation, how many injured would be had over the need to move over

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The cable will still be on almost 1/3 rd of the pavement though.
In our H&S obsessed councils I find that very strange.

Looking at the picture, it seems like the council has supplied the socket, but it will be the car owner plugging the lead in and connecting to the car. I suspect that any case would be against the car owner looking at that section from the Highways Act; the council will side-step any liability.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
maybe promoting green and moving to net zero is being prioritised with the fines just paid out for claims , mitigation, how many injured would be had over the need to move over
One fatality is one to many for me.
The state of the NHS and ambulance waiting times we should not be putting tripping hazards on the pavements.
The need to move over I get but safely is a must.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at the picture, it seems like the council has supplied the socket, but it will be the car owner plugging the lead in and connecting to the car. I suspect that any case would be against the car owner looking at that section from the Highways Act; the council will side-step any liability.
Yes so your car insurance will go up to cover the cost.
The council should not be able to just wring their hands of any blame.
If I was doing that risk assessment no way that gets the go ahead.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Yes so your car insurance will go up to cover the cost.
The council should not be able to just wring their hands of any blame.
If I was doing that risk assessment no way that gets the go ahead.

I don’t necessarily disagree that there is an onus on them to do something to mitigate the possibilities, or that the design leaves something to be desired but I believe the bottom line would be that whoever plugs the vehicle in is responsible for making the cable safe.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t necessarily disagree that there is an onus on them to do something to mitigate the possibilities, or that the design leaves something to be desired but I believe the bottom line would be that whoever plugs the vehicle in is responsible for making the cable safe.
Yes but by the nature of the installation you can’t avoid a tripping hazard.
If your crossing the road and go between two cars at night the cable is in your path.
You could be hidden by the cars and be there all night with head injuries or a broken pelvis.
I get the need to change the way we do things ,but that is not it imo.
Back to the drawing board I am afraid.
It looks like a cost cutting basic answer to a complicated system.
But puts another set of people in danger, that’s not acceptable.

Maybe if the cable itself was illuminated so it was highly visible in the dark !
But black cable in a loop on the ground is a no no.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Yes but by the nature of the installation you can’t avoid a tripping hazard.
If your crossing the road and go between two cars at night the cable is in your path.
You could be hidden by the cars and be there all night with head injuries or a broken pelvis.
I get the need to change the way we do things ,but that is not it imo.
Back to the drawing board I am afraid.
It looks like a cost cutting basic answer to a complicated system.
But puts another set of people in danger, that’s not acceptable.

Maybe if the cable itself was illuminated so it was highly visible in the dark !
But black cable in a loop on the ground is a no no.

You’ll never completely remove the hazard, but secure the cable to the lower part of the column, remove any loops in the run and clip it into a hi-viz cable ramp and even use a hi-viz colour cable and you can minimise it, which may be sufficient to discharge the liabilities in law.

I don’t disagree that it’s a very poor or not properly thought through design, just where the final liability would lie in the event that something went wrong.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’ll never completely remove the hazard, but secure the cable to the lower part of the column, remove any loops in the run and clip it into a hi-viz cable ramp and even use a hi-viz colour cable and you can minimise it, which may be sufficient to discharge the liabilities in law.

I don’t disagree that it’s a very poor or not properly thought through design, just where the final liability would lie in the event that something went wrong.
Motorists can’t even park properly so expecting them to do that is not on imo
It’s the council for me and whoever is charging you money to use the socket.
But the council are responsible for the safety of the pavements.
It’s a totally avoidable risk.
I can also see a lot of vandalism to this sort of thing on public pavements.
No easy answer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One fatality is one to many for me.
The state of the NHS and ambulance waiting times we should not be putting tripping hazards on the pavements.
The need to move over I get but safely is a must.

There is zero difference here between this Lampost and the charge points you see everywhere, the one street ones with bays either side

People plug their own cables in and run to their cars

They are exactly the same as this and nobody has batted an eye lid nor are we hearing in the daily mail how everyone is falling over the enemies charge cables

It's a cracking idea along with the pull up ones

Many solutions

The onus is on people to run their cables correctly

But people are always the problem.

ev-cars-charging-on-the-street.jpg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is zero difference here between this Lampost and the charge points you see everywhere, the one street ones with bays either side

People plug their own cables in and run to their cars

They are exactly the same as this and nobody has batted an eye lid nor are we hearing in the daily mail how everyone is falling over the enemies charge cables

It's a cracking idea along with the pull up ones

Many solutions

The onus is on people to run their cables correctly

But people are always the problem.

View attachment 44985
Yes I don’t disagree. They are the same.
I just think it’s dangerous.
If those cables were illuminated like rope lights that would help.
It’s going to happen no dought, but safety is obviously on the back burner.