The all things EV chat thread

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Damning report on the fair fuel UK site.

https://www.fairfueluk.com/

I think they miss the point somewhat. The ban isn't a move to cut cost, it's a move to cut emissions.

Now if they came back and said, the 2030 ban would substantially increase emissions due to x, y or z processes then they'd have a point.

Cost is not a valid point IMO.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they miss the point somewhat. The ban isn't a move to cut cost, it's a move to cut emissions.

Now if they came back and said, the 2030 ban would substantially increase emissions due to x, y or z processes then they'd have a point.

Cost is not a valid point IMO.

Part of their argument is that a total ban is draconian rather than focus on innovation based solutions.
I was listening to the interview on the radio and Cox was saying t he latest generations of diesels have very low emissions, he quoted a European standard that I cant remember.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of their argument is that a total ban is draconian rather than focus on innovation based solutions.
I was listening to the interview on the radio and Cox was saying t he latest generations of diesels have very low emissions, he quoted a European standard that I cant remember.

I haven’t read it, but what does he mean when he says a diesel with “low emissions”? What emissions is he talking about? Most of the time they keep talking CO2 for vehicle emissions when, in the case of diesels, that’s the least problematic. From a CO2 perspective, diesels have been “low” relative to petrol for quite some time (more efficient turbo systems) but diesel is a dirty burning fuel no matter the system it’s burned in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven’t read it, but what does he mean when he says a diesel with “low emissions”? What emissions is he talking about? Most of the time they keep talking CO2 for vehicle emissions when, in the case of diesels, that’s the least problematic. From a CO2 perspective, diesels have been “low” relative to petrol for quite some time (more efficient turbo systems) but diesel is a dirty burning fuel no matter the system it’s burned in.

My diesel is a "clean" diesel and since the EV I certainly notice the smell more compared to before when it was just there

Much like an ex smoker can't stand the smell of fags

But yes the cost argument was never the point it was to reduce emissions , and slowly reduce the use of fossil fuels.. yes you will need some oil still and the grid will slowly need to be moved to greener but the end result is greener for sure.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We run a fleet of HGV's, I would say 75% of our workshop costs for tractor units are due to ever stricter emmisions related components. Adblue systems, DPF's, EGR valves, nox sensors, all prone to problems.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMG-20221029-WA0001.jpg

Very impressive.. street in North London. Not my charger I should add I just saw it on my travels.

Need more things like this

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
View attachment 44975

Very impressive.. street in North London. Not my charger I should add I just saw it on my travels.

Need more things like this

Not at all impressive; a huge H & S hazard to pedestrians. Little or no thought has been given to that. I'd have to question if that is an official installation; if it is someone wants sacking.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not at all impressive; a huge H & S hazard to pedestrians. Little or no thought has been given to that. I'd have to question if that is an official installation; if it is someone wants sacking.

Got to say it looks like a bodge job. You would never install the socket on the removable door!

Also questioning the amount of power you can draw. Normally a lamp post would only have a piddly 6A supply.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Problem is there is no health and safety that covers trip hazards having looked into it before.

There is a guy near me that charges his Tesla off a 3 pin socket and runs the cable over the pavement to his car at night

Out of curiousity I looked into it and there is no law to cover it, only says the cable should not be there when the car is not charging..so when full needs removing

Quick check says it's such a grey area.

https://topcharger.co.uk/can-i-charge-my-car-over-the-pavement/

It is an official install as in this area If you don't have a drive they will do a lamppost in your street near your house

There is also these..

Pop-up-EVSE-installed-copy.jpg

In the first instance I would say if he was parked right next to Lampost it would be better .. but the space was clearly not free and he's run to the space behind

Still solutions being put out there..better than sticking our heads in the old sand.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Think it’s all the black mastic that makes it look like a bodge! The ones on the website look more purpose made.
says they are for long term charging so must be like a granny charger?

I would be interested in seeing inside the lamp post as the website says the charger is rated at a Max 5kw (25amp) I wonder how it achieves that from a lamp post supply? If I see one I will take the cover off and have a look-see

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think it’s all the black mastic that makes it look like a bodge! The ones on the website look more purpose made.
says they are for long term charging so must be like a granny charger?

I would be interested in seeing inside the lamp post as the website says the charger is rated at a Max 5kw (25amp) I wonder how it achieves that from a lamp post supply? If I see one I will take the cover off and have a look-see

Probably limited at granny speed but you adapt, I can granny charge at work but it works out 5% an hour. 12 hour shift tomorrow I'll be at about 50% when I come in so I'll leave work full

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Problem is there is no health and safety that covers trip hazards having looked into it before.

There is a guy near me that charges his Tesla off a 3 pin socket and runs the cable over the pavement to his car at night

Out of curiousity I looked into it and there is no law to cover it, only says the cable should not be there when the car is not charging..so when full needs removing

Quick check says it's such a grey area.

https://topcharger.co.uk/can-i-charge-my-car-over-the-pavement/

It would appear to be pretty black & white.

Highways Act 1980;

162 Penalty for placing rope, etc. across highway.

A person who for any purpose places any rope, wire or other apparatus across a highway in such a manner as to be likely to cause danger to persons using the highway is, unless he proves that he had taken all necessary means to give adequate warning of the danger, guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F657level 3 on the standard scale].

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66

It is an official install as in this area If you don't have a drive they will do a lamppost in your street near your house

There is also these..

View attachment 44976

In the first instance I would say if he was parked right next to Lampost it would be better .. but the space was clearly not free and he's run to the space behind

Still solutions being put out there..better than sticking our heads in the old sand.

If there's a head being stuck in the sand here it's yours for trying to dismiss such an obvious H & S hazard. If chargers are put in safely there's no issue with them, but that is clearly not safe to anyone with any degree of common sense; the fact that it is not yet in a H & S manual is no excuse.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Probably limited at granny speed but you adapt, I can granny charge at work but it works out 5% an hour. 12 hour shift tomorrow I'll be at about 50% when I come in so I'll leave work full

With the sharp increase in electricity costs I wonder how much longer companies will tolerate people charging at work? I know of one large building company (owned by a French multi-National) that will not let it’s site managers charge on site.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Now that really IS a grey area, how will you be able to measure how much electricity someone has used plugging into a socket in a canteen and running it out the window? ?

Indeed. Can't see it ever happening but it came to mind because some of our staff were suggesting that it should a BIK if you had parking at work as others had to pay for theirs, seemed to come under a similar umbrella.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would appear to be pretty black & white.

Highways Act 1980;

162 Penalty for placing rope, etc. across highway.

A person who for any purpose places any rope, wire or other apparatus across a highway in such a manner as to be likely to cause danger to persons using the highway is, unless he proves that he had taken all necessary means to give adequate warning of the danger, guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F657level 3 on the standard scale].

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66

If there's a head being stuck in the sand here it's yours for trying to dismiss such an obvious H & S hazard. If chargers are put in safely there's no issue with them, but that is clearly not safe to anyone with any degree of common sense; the fact that it is not yet in a H & S manual is no excuse.
I know you love to disagree with anything and you are in an even more grumpy mood than normal due to your injury

so ill agreed to disagree.

Lovely to see smart people coming up with ideas around issues and hopefully they will solve the other bits soon to make sure it meets health and safety aswell.