The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I don’t disagree. They are the same.
I just think it’s dangerous.
If those cables were illuminated like rope lights that would help.
It’s going to happen no dought, but safety is obviously on the back burner.

One would hope under a street light it would be seen, cables being black isn't ideal , some are other colours but make them light up? Doubtful, they cost enough as it is and the lights would attract people to steal them 100%

Cables already are armoured to be crush proof so that no electrical wires become visable that could kill someone

A trip hazard seems the lesser of the risks

One does wonder if walking down that road why would you walk on the part of the pavement with the Lampost .. why not just walk on the massive other bit as you need to avoid the Lampost anyways

Maybe ballards alone the charge bays so people don't walk there

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to say it looks like a bodge job. You would never install the socket on the removable door!

Also questioning the amount of power you can draw. Normally a lamp post would only have a piddly 6A supply.
Thats what many London councils are doing to adapt the lampost, and the council even attach a sign to the lamp post asking everyone to leave it free overnight for electric car owners to park and charge their car there. Iv'e already seen day time arguements between people during the day because the electric car owner things it's their own parking place for their leccy car.
I fail to see why all the councils residence should pay for the leccy car charging, as it's not metered.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Yes I don’t disagree. They are the same.
I just think it’s dangerous.
If those cables were illuminated like rope lights that would help.
It’s going to happen no dought, but safety is obviously on the back burner.

They could pipe music and have the rope light pulsating in time. Cue street party ?

Part of the problem is the length of cable, normally 3m, if you are 1m away from the socket, then you have a coil to deal with.

Rather than having the cable chucked in the boot they need to design some sort of retractable cable that would solve this.

This throws up additional issues as a partially uncoiled cable with juice going through could get a tad warm

You would still need to retain the socket for tethered chargers

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats what many London councils are doing to adapt the lampost, and the council even attach a sign to the lamp post asking everyone to leave it free overnight for electric car owners to park and charge their car there. Iv'e already seen day time arguements between people during the day because the electric car owner things it's their own parking place for their leccy car.
I fail to see why all the councils residence should pay for the leccy car charging, as it's not metered.

They don't. They are metered, all via apps which track usage

Charged to the user's account

Just like I've heard of new builds with shared chargers in the car park and every residents has a charge card. Tap it and it's billed to your flat

This is same as me going down to my local podpoint and selecting it on the app, confirming the charge and then once finished it charges my credit card

Few councils provide it free now. It was free for a bit as there was massive tax breaks for the council and electric was cheap

Now the prices are creeping slowly up

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One would hope under a street light it would be seen, cables being black isn't ideal , some are other colours but make them light up? Doubtful, they cost enough as it is and the lights would attract people to steal them 100%

Cables already are armoured to be crush proof so that no electrical wires become visable that could kill someone

A trip hazard seems the lesser of the risks

One does wonder if walking down that road why would you walk on the part of the pavement with the Lampost .. why not just walk on the massive other bit as you need to avoid the Lampost anyways

Maybe ballards alone the charge bays so people don't walk there
Yes I get your points.
But we are talking about the general public.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I get your points.
But we are talking about the general public.

Which exactly brings down all inovoation let's be honest

People misusing stuff

I mean my local station had a pump for bikes outside at the bike rack. Some idiot decided to cut it off just because

Great little thing to help people just ruined by idiots

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which exactly brings down all inovoation let's be honest

People misusing stuff

I mean my local station had a pump for bikes outside at the bike rack. Some idiot decided to cut it off just because

Great little thing to help people just ruined by idiots
Have you seen any of that vandalism on EVs.
Heard a few lads talking about their leads being stolen.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I haven't no. But it depends how they work

When I plug my car in the lead locks by deadbolt and that's it unless you unlock it

The one on my house can't be stolen as I went for a tethered lead for convenience

D

Deleted member 1147

Q for anyone who has a company electric car and charges it at home...do you claim the cost of charging at home, or do you just claim mileage?

D

Deleted member 23270

Interesting viewing for anyone that has to rely on public chargers

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
News was the chargers LEADS were getting cut for the metals and so on. no heard of anyone having there car broken into for there own charger lead.

Leased my Zoe 50KW had £365 free credit with vanarama through the incredibly bad BPPULSE, free charging at work 7200 miles in £0.00 spent - cheap so far, just need the car market to revert back to 4-5 years back so I win on selling my wife's car for the trade off. road trip 2morro on Kendal doesn't have a BPpulse location in the area. Might be the first out of pocket charge in 2022.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting viewing for anyone that has to rely on public chargers

I guess the hope would be that the price of electricity has the potential to come back to a much more reasonable rate in the future whereas fuel prices barely move regardless of what the price of oil is.

D

Deleted member 23270

I guess the hope would be that the price of electricity has the potential to come back to a much more reasonable rate in the future whereas fuel prices barely move regardless of what the price of oil is.
Fuel prices move as well depending on supply/demand, not that long ago petrol was £1 per litre.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fuel prices move as well depending on supply/demand, not that long ago petrol was £1 per litre.

Until we get our economy back on track and stop crashing the £1 fuel will stay high.

Only once since 2008 was petrol £1 a litre and that was may 2020 when demand was low due to covid.

A lot of the charging cost for home Vs public is vat 20% on public 5% home

Then again public rapid charging is like ice cars using motorway petrol stations, try to avoid where possible

D

Deleted member 23270

Until we get our economy back on track and stop crashing the £1 fuel will stay high.

Only once since 2008 was petrol £1 a litre and that was may 2020 when demand was low due to covid.

A lot of the charging cost for home Vs public is vat 20% on public 5% home

Then again public rapid charging is like ice cars using motorway petrol stations, try to avoid where possible
You do realise that some people have no choice and have to use public chargers?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You do realise that some people have no choice and have to use public chargers?

Indeed but the figures arent black and white. There are other options to the high charge ones. Use a slower charger. Charged at a cheaper rate.

If not if it's above a certain pence then petrol becomes cheaper again. Yet still doing bit for environment.

It's not all about price

Majority of EV users charge at home those who charge public are in the most company lease cars which they get very generous tax breaks

The numbers of private owners who use rapid fast charging only is slim.

I've done 18000 in my car now and all I have spent charging is just under £100.

D

Deleted member 23270

Indeed but the figures arent black and white. There are other options to the high charge ones. Use a slower charger. Charged at a cheaper rate.

If not if it's above a certain pence then petrol becomes cheaper again. Yet still doing bit for environment.

It's not all about price

Majority of EV users charge at home those who charge public are in the most company lease cars which they get very generous tax breaks

The numbers of private owners who use rapid fast charging only is slim.

I've done 18000 in my car now and all I have spent charging is just under £100.
Jesus Christ you are so blinkered it's not worth debating anything with you ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jesus Christ you are so blinkered it's not worth debating anything with you ?

if your mind was actually open and willing to listen to all sides of the debate then it would be but you always post negative and report negative on EV.

yes electric has gone up. so has petrol.

my night rate is still 5.5p for another few months then it will rise to 10 or 12p depending which tariff I choose to go onto. which doubles the costs.

yes there are people out there who mainly use rapid charging but thats not everyone. As said. a very small % of EV owners only use rapid charging. for them it will be expensive

however there are many solutions around this being offered. the lampost chargers installed and they are at a cheaper rate

tesco has started charging but thats 28p a kw for a 7kw charger.. so thats a lot cheaper than petrol and actually cheaper than charging off the gov cap (if you dont have an EV charge rate)

you can also pay a subscription to have access to lower charge rates.

tesla has its own charge network which is a lot cheaper for teslas (which is why you see so many of them about)

you need to fully understand the entire picture rather than clickbait headlines. (they even add in the video that this test was to highlight some of the most expensive chargers around and if you had to use motorway chargers.. not to say this will always happen.)

D

Deleted member 23270

if your mind was actually open and willing to listen to all sides of the debate then it would be but you always post negative and report negative on EV.

yes electric has gone up. so has petrol.

my night rate is still 5.5p for another few months then it will rise to 10 or 12p depending which tariff I choose to go onto. which doubles the costs.

yes there are people out there who mainly use rapid charging but thats not everyone. As said. a very small % of EV owners only use rapid charging. for them it will be expensive

however there are many solutions around this being offered. the lampost chargers installed and they are at a cheaper rate

tesco has started charging but thats 28p a kw for a 7kw charger.. so thats a lot cheaper than petrol and actually cheaper than charging off the gov cap (if you dont have an EV charge rate)

you can also pay a subscription to have access to lower charge rates.

tesla has its own charge network which is a lot cheaper for teslas (which is why you see so many of them about)

you need to fully understand the entire picture rather than clickbait headlines. (they even add in the video that this test was to highlight some of the most expensive chargers around and if you had to use motorway chargers.. not to say this will always happen.)
You just don't get it, everything you post is about YOU.

YOU have a cheap night tariff, YOU have access to off road parking, YOU do short journeys so range isn't an issue.

I have said many times that I would like to go EV but the system at present wouldn't suit me. In the last 18 months I have made journeys from the South Coast to S Wales, N Wales twice, Liverpool, Ireland twice (one trip I practically circumnavigated the entire island), east Anglia, Nottingham and the Hebrides. I shudder to think how many hours I would have spent sat charging the car on those journeys if I had a car with a range of 200 miles! And don't respond with 'buy a long range Tesla' because I haven't got in excess of 50k to spend on an EV. In fact don't respond at all because I'm not interested in your one sided views any more and you will be wasting your own time.