The all things EV chat thread

D

Deleted member 23270

If you clicked on the link, you would see every car and how many miles they have done, I'm not going to do it for you.
Would you spend 40k on a 2nd hand car?

No, I thought not.......especially on a car ranked 30th out of 33 in the latest JD Power survey.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just pointed out that despite the fact the trip hazard had been there all day, no one actually tripped over the trip hazard

During the day you'd have to be an idiot, or one of those morons that walks along staring at their phone the whole time, to trip over that wire. At night it's a different story, especially if there's another car parked behind the one being charged and you're cutting between them. I fully support the switch to electric cars but I'm not sure that charging from lamp posts is the right answer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
During the day you'd have to be an idiot, or one of those morons that walks along staring at their phone the whole time, to trip over that wire. At night it's a different story, especially if there's another car parked behind the one being charged and you're cutting between them. I fully support the switch to electric cars but I'm not sure that charging from lamp posts is the right answer.

I agree
But looking again at the picture, why did the driver not park next to the lamp post that was charging the car?
Looks suspiciously like a set up to me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree
But looking again at the picture, why did the driver not park next to the lamp post that was charging the car?
Looks suspiciously like a set up to me.

It was most likely full when he/she arrived

nothing suspect with the set up it's standard in and around London

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
VW and some German company are developing a hyrdogen fuel cell that can do 2k miles on a full fill.
I would suggest it would make anything stop and think before commiting to electric
Cars in china are already boasting 1k range. By the time and hydrogen comes out it'll be 2k too

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
VW and some German company are developing a hyrdogen fuel cell that can do 2k miles on a full fill.
I would suggest it would make anything stop and think before commiting to electric

Just need to crack nuclear fusion to get an endless supply of electricity to release hydrogen from sea water and it's full steam ahead. That's the main reason that I wouldn't buy an electric car at the minute, apart from the cost and the fact that our two cars are still running well so don't need changing right now, as I think that hydrogen fuel cell technology could be the future. That would make EVs the betamax to the hydrogen cell video recorders.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just need to crack nuclear fusion to get an endless supply of electricity to release hydrogen from sea water and it's full steam ahead. That's the main reason that I wouldn't buy an electric car at the minute, apart from the cost and the fact that our two cars are still running well so don't need changing right now, as I think that hydrogen fuel cell technology could be the future. That would make EVs the betamax to the hydrogen cell video recorders.

I can see it being used for larger vehicles but if they want to replace BEV cars they've got over a decade of catching up to do.
And if you think EVs are expensive and the infrastructure is rubbish, don't even look at cost of hydrogen.

Of all the hydrogen cars for sale on autotrader, the cheapest is £28,995 and the other one is £49,950.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a new way of hydrogen fuel cell, and VW have already submitted patent applications for it. Way more enviromentally friendly and cheaper to make, plus the huge range.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see it being used for larger vehicles but if they want to replace BEV cars they've got over a decade of catching up to do.
And if you think EVs are expensive and the infrastructure is rubbish, don't even look at cost of hydrogen.

Of all the hydrogen cars for sale on autotrader, the cheapest is £28,995 and the other one is £49,950.

It's already being used for buses in Aberdeen, and I'm sure in other cities but Aberdeen is one that I know of for definite, and I was recently involved in a survey for a project looking at using wind turbines to produce hydrogen during the night when demand for energy drops. As for your argument about cost, aren't these the same arguments that were being used about EV very recently and are in fact still being used?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's already being used for buses in Aberdeen, and I'm sure in other cities but Aberdeen is one that I know of for definite, and I was recently involved in a survey for a project looking at using wind turbines to produce hydrogen during the night when demand for energy drops. As for your argument about cost, aren't these the same arguments that were being used about EV very recently and are in fact still being used?

I know the cost is an issue but as I said, hydrogen are just too far behind with charging and the cost of the cars.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you can’t afford a battery powered electric car. You certainly won’t be able to afford a hydrogen powered electric car.