The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The following step you would think would be to change the BIK on company electric cars.....

I am unsure as they need people to switch , this company car bit gets people in. Quite a few take it even though they never would hVe considered an EV they go for it because of this break

Needs to be carefully thought through

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It does get added into the lease though, you still end up paying.

Quiet, but wouldn't affect current lease deals as they are signed and agreed, the companies would have to front the difference

Going forward they will add it into the cost but what with the cost of the cars, the cost of interest both rising it will bearly be noticeable in real terms.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ev is far far less damaging to the environment than a normal car

Mining lithium is not as bad for the environment as mining oil for example

And even if you filled up your EV with electric from gas it's far better for the environment burning gas at a power station than burning it yourself in a car , that's scientifically proven

Article about the myth of EV are just as polluting as Ice cars
https://electrek.co/2021/07/21/study-dispels-myth-electric-cars-pollute-gas-powered-cars/

Break even points emission wise based on break downs of what goes into them

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...become-cleaner-than-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/
Why are you comparing an EV to petrol or diesel when they arent going to be sold new in 8 years time?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are you comparing an EV to petrol or diesel when they arent going to be sold new in 8 years time?

Ok then compare them to hydrogen. Equally as harmful to the environment as EV are.

Both require rare materials

Both require electric to make the "fuel"

Both give off zero emissions

Jason.H

Visit site
Been sitting on the fence with regards EV,s. Decided to have a test drive in a Cupra Born V2 and was quite impressed tbh. I could quite easily live with it with a charge point at home. At around 43k for the spec I’d like and I,d gues it would lose 50% of it’s value over 3 years. So whilst saving money at the pump but then losing big time on depreciation. Where as my VW Transporter will likely hold its value or even creep up Some more.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In answer to the OP, no, I won’t – at least not in the foreseeable future. It doesn’t make any financial or ecological sense at all to change.

Currently I’m spending less than £1,000 on diesel a year and expect this to fall as I’ll probably drive less over the coming years. Currently (excuse the pun) running an EV would probably cost me (say) £3/400 pa in electricity but the cost of electricity is/will escalate. The govt will need to start punitive taxation of EV users fairly soon so we can forget about the “Road Fund Licence” differences. So, effectively, buying a cheapish EV at (say) £36,000, it would take me at least 60 years to benefit from the fuel savings.

The ecological damage from the manufacture of my car happened 5 years ago. Apart from the burning of the diesel, it’s carbon footprint has already happened and is “in the system”. If I buy a new car, the carbon footprint will be enormous by comparison - from the mining and extraction of materials, the use of oil for plastics, the energy in making the thing, the fuel costs in getting the vehicle or parts to this country. And then there’s the carbon footprint costs in producing the electricity to run the thing.

I can see the advantages for those who currently enjoy vastly reduced BIK but they are not really doing it to help the planet, are they? And for those who lease and have a new car every 3 years or so - why?? Modern cars are good for 10/15/20 years or so. Bit like golf clubs I suppose, got to have new shineys every so often.

I’m sure that my logic is flawed somewhere and the EV proponents will be along to put me right ...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In answer to the OP, no, I won’t – at least not in the foreseeable future. It doesn’t make any financial or ecological sense at all to change.

Currently I’m spending less than £1,000 on diesel a year and expect this to fall as I’ll probably drive less over the coming years. Currently (excuse the pun) running an EV would probably cost me (say) £3/400 pa in electricity but the cost of electricity is/will escalate. The govt will need to start punitive taxation of EV users fairly soon so we can forget about the “Road Fund Licence” differences. So, effectively, buying a cheapish EV at (say) £36,000, it would take me at least 60 years to benefit from the fuel savings.

The ecological damage from the manufacture of my car happened 5 years ago. Apart from the burning of the diesel, it’s carbon footprint has already happened and is “in the system”. If I buy a new car, the carbon footprint will be enormous by comparison - from the mining and extraction of materials, the use of oil for plastics, the energy in making the thing, the fuel costs in getting the vehicle or parts to this country. And then there’s the carbon footprint costs in producing the electricity to run the thing.

I can see the advantages for those who currently enjoy vastly reduced BIK but they are not really doing it to help the planet, are they? And for those who lease and have a new car every 3 years or so - why?? Modern cars are good for 10/15/20 years or so. Bit like golf clubs I suppose, got to have new shineys every so often.

I’m sure that my logic is flawed somewhere and the EV proponents will be along to put me right ...
Logic sounds pretty good to me.
It’s a major question people are asking themselves.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A lot of company cars go back after a certain mileage or after 2 or 3 years.

Also, if people didn’t buy new cars every few years. There would be no decent second hand cars to buy.