The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So how did he/she unplug the other car?

the car could easily have not been plugged in and some lamposts have more than one charger on the side . if the space was charging and they waited then plug themsleves in the driver is lazy for not moving his car.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is replacing one form of vehicle motion that damages the enviroment with another that damages the enviroment so good?

hydrogen is equally as damaging to the environment as EV. how is it produced? is it the key green hydrogen? as we struggle as it is to make the grid green then the hydrogen would be blue (I believe the term is) which is burning gas etc to make it so is equally as damaging as an EV.

the question is in the battery tech but whilst hydrogen is being made dont ignore advances in battery tech that is moving away from some of the things people keep complaining about.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/the-new-batteries-that-will-make-you-an-electric-car-believer/

its not EV or hydrogen its EV AND hydrogen. Both will play a key part in our switch away from oil in terms of transport.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know the cost is an issue but as I said, hydrogen are just too far behind with charging and the cost of the cars.

If you can’t afford a battery powered electric car. You certainly won’t be able to afford a hydrogen powered electric car.

But these are the arguments being used against EVs. You can't defend EVs against these very same complaints and then use them to dismiss hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

EVs are much more expensive than ICE vehicles. Hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) cars are much more expensive than EVs.
The infrastructure for EVs is much worse than for ICEs. The infrastructure for HFC is much worse than for EVs.
The technology for EVs is behind ICEs. The technology for HFC is behind EVs.

EVs are far behind ICEs in terms of refuelling and cost but that doesn't mean that they won't overtake them at some point. In the same way that HFCs are far behind EVs in terms of refuelling and cost.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hydrogen is equally as damaging to the environment as EV. how is it produced? is it the key green hydrogen? as we struggle as it is to make the grid green then the hydrogen would be blue (I believe the term is) which is burning gas etc to make it so is equally as damaging as an EV.

the question is in the battery tech but whilst hydrogen is being made dont ignore advances in battery tech that is moving away from some of the things people keep complaining about.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/the-new-batteries-that-will-make-you-an-electric-car-believer/

its not EV or hydrogen its EV AND hydrogen. Both will play a key part in our switch away from oil in terms of transport.

Depends on how the hydrogen is produced. If it's using energy from wind turbines at night, that would otherwise go to waste, then it's far less damaging than if it was produced by burning gas.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on how the hydrogen is produced. If it's using energy from wind turbines at night, that would otherwise go to waste, then it's far less damaging than if it was produced by burning gas.

Which is exactly what I said no? Lol ? green hydrogen is key , however much like switching to EV it's better to get everyone to hydrogen and ev sooner then focus on getting the grid green than not

D

Deleted member 23270

You said and I quote

I sent you a link showing 19 long range Teslas for UNDER £40k, proving you don't need to spend in excess of £50k to get a long range Tesla
I was obviously referring to new car prices but you be as pedantic as you want ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its not how big is there willy, but the fact you are looking to replace one enviromental damage source with another.It's the life cycle of the fuel and everything associated with it.

Ev is far far less damaging to the environment than a normal car

Mining lithium is not as bad for the environment as mining oil for example

And even if you filled up your EV with electric from gas it's far better for the environment burning gas at a power station than burning it yourself in a car , that's scientifically proven

Article about the myth of EV are just as polluting as Ice cars
https://electrek.co/2021/07/21/study-dispels-myth-electric-cars-pollute-gas-powered-cars/

Break even points emission wise based on break downs of what goes into them

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...become-cleaner-than-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

Ian_George

Visit site
Hyundai have had a hydrogen cell prototype car , the Nexo for a while.

Hydrogen is going to be a chunky part of the answer, mark my words ?
In 'proof of concept' perhaps. But lots of issues (like cost and actually generating MORE greenhouse gas in the production process!) to overcome before competing with EV is possible!

D

Deleted member 23270

If you were only interested in new cars, why did you ask about the mileage of the second hand Teslas in the link I provided in post no. 2875 that you didn't look at.?
Because I looked on autotrader myself to see if there was anything I would consider but the prices aren't viable.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Because I looked on autotrader myself to see if there was anything I would consider but the prices aren't viable.

So you looked on Autotrader yourself but didn't look at the mileage?

I've said all along, if an EV today doesn't suit your needs, don't buy one.
Maybe have another look in 5 years time and see how they have changed.
And if you really don't want an EV, buy a new ICE car in 2029 and drive it for 20 years

But these are the arguments being used against EVs. You can't defend EVs against these very same complaints and then use them to dismiss hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

I'm not.
Of course the prices will fall but so will EV prices.

D

Deleted member 23270

So you looked on Autotrader yourself but didn't look at the mileage?

I've said all along, if an EV today doesn't suit your needs, don't buy one.
Maybe have another look in 5 years time and see how they have changed.
And if you really don't want an EV, buy a new ICE car in 2029 and drive it for 20 years

I'm not.
Of course the prices will fall but so will EV prices.
Excellent consumer advice Bob, I never thought of that.

D

Deleted member 23270

Well judging by the arguments you have against EVs which are about 5 years out of date, maybe you need some up to date info.
My arguments are range and price, not much has changed in the last 5 years. Average quoted range is still around 250 miles (probably less than 200 on the motorway) and I'd guess prices around 35k upwards for anything other than a very basic car. So what am I missing?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The problem that we will start to see in the not too distant future is firstly petrol stations will reduce the number of pumps serving diesel as demand drops, and then after a few more years as ICE cars get phased out, there will be far fewer petrol stations full stop.

So like now with an EV you need to plan your recharge point, you may need to do the same in 15 years to buy your unleaded

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My arguments are range and price, not much has changed in the last 5 years. Average quoted range is still around 250 miles (probably less than 200 on the motorway) and I'd guess prices around 35k upwards for anything other than a very basic car. So what am I missing?

5 years ago the new Nissan Leaf was released with a quoted range of 168 miles. The entry level was over £26,000. Top spec Tekna was £33,600.
The new long range MG 4 has a range of 281 miles and costs £28,995

D

Deleted member 23270

Go o
5 years ago the new Nissan Leaf was released with a quoted range of 168 miles. The entry level was over £26,000. Top spec Tekna was £33,600.
The new long range MG 4 has a range of 281 miles and costs £28,995
Go to the MG website configurator, select MG4, select motorway as driving style then look how the range changes from 281 miles to 160.