The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EVs aren't just about cars , they have a wider place in the modern world

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...oted-by-ovo-energy/v2g-and-future-ev-charging

Great if you can manage this , saves a fortune and balances the grid (also eliminates powercuts if you can just plug in your battery to power the house whilst the grid is out)

Tesla have this tech already on some models just not commissioned in the UK yet I believe

D

Deleted member 23270

At what point does the batteries in EV,s start to deteriorate? And how much is the cost to replace them? Is there any long term Tesla owners on here who can comment. I understand the vast majority will just change car after 3 years or so but at some point the 2nd hand market will be flooded with EV,s and it would be good to know the batterries perform as they should.
Have a look on the autotrader channel on YouTube. Rory Reid bought an old Nissan Leaf specifically to test the batteries. Quite an interesting watch ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

just watched this video about EV chargers you can have installed on your house that charge other people to charge their EVs with.

another simple idea that wont be huge but will play a part to growing the network.

Person in this video doesnt have an EV but has set up a charge point that people can pay a fee to use

wont make massive waves but every little idea helps and with the payment system the cost of the bill to the person whos house it is will cover their costs

not everyones cup of tea but a nice idea.

D

Deleted member 23270

As predicted EVs will be subject to road tax from April 2025, no big surprise there I guess. Not seen any details yet about how much though. I'd expect lowest bracket which is currently £35???? pounds a year.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As predicted EVs will be subject to road tax from April 2025, no big surprise there I guess. Not seen any details yet about how much though. I'd expect lowest bracket which is currently £35???? pounds a year.

Only surprise is the wait, given the size of the financial hole we are in.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 2014 dirty diesel Focus is £20 a year - go figure!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lets be honest, this is only a starter for 10, setting the wheels in motion. VED is going to have to be completely restructured across all vehicles if they want to have the same revenue from it going forward

Definitely this. This is a tax and will revert to being so for road useage and less about emissions

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Post from last Saturday...

"Currently I’m spending less than £1,000 on diesel a year and expect this to fall as I’ll probably drive less over the coming years. Currently (excuse the pun) running an EV would probably cost me (say) £3/400 pa in electricity but the cost of electricity is/will escalate. The govt will need to start punitive taxation of EV users fairly soon so we can forget about the “Road Fund Licence” differences. So, effectively, buying a cheapish EV at (say) £36,000, it would take me at least 60 years to benefit from the fuel savings."

Football Pools numbers a speciality. Contact Horace Batchelor, K E Y N S H A M, Bristol :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

20221117_152550.png

Wonder if it will force the price of EVs down a bit as people might be out off of the 40k price tag if paying £500 a year in tax

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 45231

Wonder if it will force the price of EVs down a bit as people might be out off of the 40k price tag if paying £500 a year in tax
So, if I've read that's correctly? You buy an electric car that produces zero carbon emissions and pay £165 road tax. Or you have a relatively modern diesel and pay £30? Good incentive for folk. With the uncertainty of electric prices I feel they might struggle to get the masses to convert

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting that the planned 23% fuel duty rate increase in late-March 2023 wasn’t mentioned in the speech. This is likely to add 10-12p per litre to fuel!!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that the planned 23% fuel duty rate increase in late-March 2023 wasn’t mentioned in the speech. This is likely to add 10-12p per litre to fuel!!
It's just never ending. Tax us more on the fuel then windfall tax the company on their profits ?