SPOTY 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

The bird who jacked it in at Wimbledon and the fella of the celebrity diving program…and someone else…..?!

Do you mean the current

Multiple World and Olympic Champion Peaty
World and Olympic Champion Daley
mane Womens US Open Champion Raducanu

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A worthy winner in a year where there were many that would also have been worthy winners.

Makes me think back to when I was growing up in the 90s, seem to recall some pretty tenuous achievements that resulted in the award ?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So the SPOTY awards are all good until you don’t agree with any of the results.
Then it’s a joke ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
Thought the Solheim Cup team would of won the team award if I'm honest.
Especially winning away from home.
Is it restricted to purely British teams? Don't know, not watched it in many years. Has the Ryder Cup team ever won it? If so, then I probably agree. The Solheim Cup was a much better watch, and at least they ended up being successful, rather than providing a huge anti climax when it really mattered and putting in an appalling performance.

D

Deleted member 1147

I didn't watch it, so don't know what went on, but would be interested to know if there was any mention of:
- Cavendish's achievements at the TdF
- England Women's rugby team going unbeaten, winning another 6 nations and beating the Black Ferns twice
- Zoe Aldcroft being named player of the year?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't watch it, so don't know what went on, but would be interested to know if there was any mention of:
- England Women's rugby team going unbeaten, winning another 6 nations and beating the Black Ferns twice

Can't be 100% sure as it doesn't grab my attention like it used to - but I don't think so!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it restricted to purely British teams? Don't know, not watched it in many years. Has the Ryder Cup team ever won it? If so, then I probably agree. The Solheim Cup was a much better watch, and at least they ended up being successful, rather than providing a huge anti climax when it really mattered and putting in an appalling performance.

I'm honestly not sure, just seems to lose credibility when a team that ultimately won nothing wins the award.
Even like James put above the England Women's rugby team, they won the 6 nations, give them the award.

D

Deleted member 15344

In answer to your questions
yes - they had a segment on him

Yes - they had a segment on the England Womens Rugby team and their achievements

Ryder Cup team has won 3 or 4 times

The Solheim Cup Team were nominated along with

Englands Women Rugby Team
St Helens
GB Swimming Team

All teams who were hugely successful

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure, just seems to lose credibility when a team that ultimately won nothing wins the award.
Even like James put above the England Women's rugby team, they won the 6 nations, give them the award.

I don’t think it loses credibility, even if I can see how others might disagree with the result.

I might have given the award to the England football team for the lift that the nation was given at a time when it really needed it. Wouldn’t have given Southgate the award though.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think it loses credibility, even if I can see how others might disagree with the result.

I might have given the award to the England football team for the lift that the nation was given at a time when it really needed it. Wouldn’t have given Southgate the award though.

Great achievement to get to the final, no doubt about it, but to me it should be a team that’s won something.
I can’t look past the Solheim cup team, to win the way they did in America with Literally no support and basically written off before a ball was hit.
The BBC have long given up on the golf though.

D

Deleted member 15344

Great achievement to get to the final, no doubt about it, but to me it should be a team that’s won something.
I can’t look past the Solheim cup team, to win the way they did in America with Literally no support and basically written off before a ball was hit.
The BBC have long given up on the golf though.
30 different sporting journalists decide the winner

Don’t see it being about the fact Golf chases the money

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For everyone complaining that Ryder Cup/Solheim Cup teams dont win team of the year, surely the poignant facts re A theyre European not British teams and B they win 1 match against 1 other side. I know theyve won previously but hard to make a case that theyre the best side across all sports when they win one game for me

Not saying I think the England football team should win it either but can see why they dont