Golf Participation up 2.3 Million in the UK

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
https://www.randa.org/en/news/2021/05/gbandi-golf-participation-report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/57...f0nbTIUoJOCjQihZx7w1lky3axqY0EwvdZVHbyOO7jq9A

I remember a few years back that Golf was supposed to be in decline, participation was low and a few courses were closing. Seems Covid has been responsible for a hefty surge in new golfers. I kind of knew that as I've seen a big uptake of new members at ours, and the local range is always rammed, frequently have to wait for a bay, but that's some increase! Can concur with the report, there are a few new female members, and the new members are visibly younger too. It's great all round for golf, increasing income for clubs, Pro's retailers and manufacturers, helping make up for the last year. It does bring a downside though (wouldn't be a post on a here if there wasn't one :) ), which may be more from the introduction of the booking system and the Covid protocols, than the new members. I quite often play after work around 4pm, sometimes with a partner, sometimes as a single . It used to be a quiet time, we could just rock up and play and would play round quite happily. I'm not worried about racing around the course, am out trying to enjoy and improve (less said about that the better), but it doesn't matter what time of day you play now, you are nearly always sandwiched between 3 and 4 balls. It's not a slow play complaint per se, just a fact that we have to deal with now that there is a much larger footfall on the course.

All in all though, it's should be really good for the game in general, and may go some way to saving a few courses around the country.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apart from the footfall increase as you state, the only other downer I can see is whether the numbers will still be there this time next year.
I think the majority are either back at work or going back soon
That may well have an effect on participation when they discover that now haven't got the 5 hour window they need to get to the course, play and get away.
Having said that, many people's priorities have changed in the last 15 months and they want more leisure time.
You also have the age old problem of golf being hard to get good at.
Modern society has veered towards the need for instant results.
How many newbies, who may well be taking longer than they thought to get to a standard, will give up if they can't break 100 by August?
Its obviously good for the industry right now but the time to state Golf is Back is a while away in my view.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would certainly 'ca canny' about the future of golf.
At the moment folk have money in their pockets and an element of live for the day thinking.
There has to be a Covid financial leveling out process and I can see in one or two years many folk not being able to afford their membership fees.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We have had a big influx of new members and we have a £1000 joining fee so I think anyone paying that is likely to stick around for a while. We also have a long waiting list now.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our seccy did an interesting piece of analysis based on BRS data.
We saw a massive uplift in member numbers and, linearly an uptick in tee bookings (almost impossible to get one if you are not right in the button when it opens).
But, the analysis showed that new members only make up c.15% of bookings and its actually increased bookings by long term members.

This is most likely due to furlough and will tail off to give a more balanced view. But it was interesting to see that the upsurge in members and bookings were not directly correlated as many had thought.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im one of the new golfers. Love it and dont see that changing.

A few of my mates however, may dip out :ROFLMAO: