Spikeless Golf Shoes

U

User62651

Not all clubs allow spikeless shoes in the club house. Mine does not, for instance. They are still classified as golf shoes, and golf shoes are not allowed.

Seems like backward thinking? :confused:- along comes a great shoe design advancement where you can now come off the 18th, give your soles a quick clean with the airjet or brushes, walk straight from your car or locker where you've left the clubs to the bar for a pint with your playing partners without the faff of finding somewhere to change, fetching and changing footwear but NO that's still not 'the done thing' in some clubs.

What if they're the only shoes you've got with you (that is the advantage after all), do you have to walk about in the bar in your socks?;)

Just ordered a pair of spikeless today too, hope they let me in clubhouse of new club with them on, forgot to ask!:p

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems like backward thinking? :confused:- along comes a great shoe design advancement where you can now come off the 18th, give your soles a quick clean with the airjet or brushes, walk straight from your car or locker where you've left the clubs to the bar for a pint with your playing partners without the faff of finding somewhere to change, fetching and changing footwear but NO that's still not 'the done thing' in some clubs.

What if they're the only shoes you've got with you (that is the advantage after all), do you have to walk about in the bar in your socks?;)

Just ordered a pair of spikeless today too, hope they let me in clubhouse of new club with them on, forgot to ask!:p

I have never had a problem getting in the bar afters in them, think providing they dont stand out most places dont even notice

your right its backwards..

I remember when they first came in and some courses refused to let them on the course itself.. stupid

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Yes, it seems odd. But then often the golf course is treated with nasty chemicals, which are then dragged through the club house, rotting the carpets.

I dont know, is the answer. Bizarrely i can wear my Ecco golf shoes that i wear to work in the club house, providing i have not played golf in them, but once i have, they become golf shoes, and are banned. Similarly i can wear jean cut trousers, rivets and all, but not jeans. I can wear a collarless golf shirt but not a tee shirt. It baffles the heck out of me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, it seems odd. But then often the golf course is treated with nasty chemicals, which are then dragged through the club house, rotting the carpets.

I dont know, is the answer. Bizarrely i can wear my Ecco golf shoes that i wear to work in the club house, providing i have not played golf in them, but once i have, they become golf shoes, and are banned. Similarly i can wear jean cut trousers, rivets and all, but not jeans. I can wear a collarless golf shirt but not a tee shirt. It baffles the heck out of me.

Who would notice if you walked in the club house in eccos that you have played in?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are some very petty minded individuals who would notice, and dob you in to the steward, or the committee members. I have had it done many times.

Wow some people have some serious issues.

Even in the winter months I drive to the course in the summer shoes and change into normal ones.. just find it a pretty smart shoe compared to most of the trainers I wear all the time.. and I wont wear my nice shoes to a muddy course lol

D

Deleted member 15344

We don't allow any golf shoes in the bar

Golf shoes pick up all manner of mess on them as you are playing and it won't take much for people to then start dragging it through the clubhouse and to me it takes a mere minute to change into a pair of shoes

There is a little spike if people don't have shoes but it's not "backwards" nor any of the other insults if a club doesn't want people to wear their golf shoes in the bar

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The more I read about certain things at other clubs the more I feel so lucky to be part of such a relaxed and open club. Only been there for a year but never encountered an issues so far or heard of any problems with petty or funny members like some clubs that people mention on here.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see what's wrong with changing shoes before going into the lounge, its a carpeted lounge not a wooden floored spit and sawdust bar.
we have a spike bar, more than big enough to cater for those who don't want to change or grab a drink mid round.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great during warm dry rounds and you can wear them out and about like a normal shoe. Forget it during winter or rain though.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I "float" along 3/8ths of an inch from the ground supported by my softspikes...
Come on - convince me I need to buy some...
Lots of things float, not all of them nice:)
My Eccos have a cross type design of pimple on the whole sole, which apparently give a greater contact and biting area than that of spikes. What I do know is I can feel the shoe gripping on the grass and to me feels better locked in than when I used soft spikes.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I cover all three options. Our course is quite hilly so in the winter I use Champ Pro Stingers (metal/plastic hybrid), in the summer I normally use softspikes but if it is really dry and hard or travelling to a dry flat course then I will move onto my Ecco dimpled soles.
Of course, I can replace the metal or plastic spikes. Once the dimples have gone, that's it.