Gore-Tex shoes for golf

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How often do you need to wash them? Genuine question. If I’m paying £30-£45 for a pair of socks, I’d doubt I’d be buying multiple pairs.
Every 2-3 rounds. They aren't like normal socks and your feet don't tend to sweat in them.

I have some, they are great. Instead of moving comfy shoes on because the waterproofing fails I can keep wearing them until they really start falling apart.

D

Deleted member 23270

How often do you need to wash them? Genuine question. If I’m paying £30-£45 for a pair of socks, I’d doubt I’d be buying multiple pairs.
Pretty much every time you wear them. The membrane is breathable but unless you want everyone in the clubhouse to smell you coming I'd wash them regularly ;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm on my fifth pair of "waterproof" golf shoes in 2 and a bit years. They've all leaked within a couple of months, even when the only moisture has been dew.
Now I just rotate them while wearing Sealskinz socks. If it's really wet, I wear my old Salomon Gore-Tex trail running shoes, that are still fully waterproof after about 5 years of heavy punishment.
It's a mystery why inserting the word "golf" in the name of a shoe makes a waterproof membrane turn to teabag material.
Genuinely interested to know what shoes you've had? Our course gets very wet in winter, and though I've had a variety of winter/waterproof shoes over the years, never really had an issue of wet feet.

RichA

Visit site
Genuinely interested to know what shoes you've had? Our course gets very wet in winter, and though I've had a variety of winter/waterproof shoes over the years, never really had an issue of wet feet.
It's actually 6
Adidas S2G - very comfortable but completely porous - wrecked by the water and refunded.
Puma Ignite NXT - as above - Puma themselves swapped for the pair below.
Puma RSG - slightly leaky.
Footjoy Traditions - slightly leaky, very comfortable.
Footjoy Traditions - slightly leaky, very comfortable
Another pair of Adidas S2G purely for summer use.
I now only wear the Footjoys when it's wet, but with Sealskinz socks.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve had the sealskins discussion before, tried it and hated it.
Wet stinky shoes, cold feet due to the socks being wet on the outside.
I’d rather stop the water getting in the shoes/boots in the first place.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I usually buy in the Autumn price reductions. A new pair of anything claiming water proofness has always got me through the winter. They will start to leak at some point - but they then become relegated to summer use only, and so I wear leaky ones through the summer, in general, unless rain forecast. Decent Footjoys are always fully waterproof for at least 30 rounds Id guess, if not more.

RichA

Visit site
Me too, but short of wearing wellies, hiking boots or trail running shoes I've been unable to achieve it. The Footjoys are a wide fitting and perfect for wearing with the Sealskinz. Not sure where the stinky idea comes from - I haven't had that problem, but possibly because I wear Merino wool socks under the Sealskinz and rotate the shoes so they always dry out properly. I pile about 30 silica gel packs into each shoe while they're drying, having saved them from every LFT I did during COVID.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm about to get a pair of FJ Dryjoys back out of the cupboard for the winter.

Might be third or fourth season and still waterproof. But I do use dubbin and Nikwax on them regularly.

Just binned a 3 summer pair of Pro SLs as the uppers were starting to come away from the sole. Mind you, the studs on the bottom were also quite worn
This is what I do as well. I've no idea how old they are but, winter upon winter, they come out, get polished and used over the winter and then cleaned and polished before putting them back in again in the spring. My only concern is, I am running out of places I can buy hybrid metal/plastic spikes for them.
I also wear waterproof socks. Not Sealskins, but a pair I bought from Aldi, which work really well at keeping out the water.
As has been said elsewhere, one walk through long, wet grass, and you have water ingress from the foot opening anyway.
My Skechers GoGolf are also very waterproof. I've stood in running water in them and no water ingress.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's actually 6
Adidas S2G - very comfortable but completely porous - wrecked by the water and refunded.
Puma Ignite NXT - as above - Puma themselves swapped for the pair below.
Puma RSG - slightly leaky.
Footjoy Traditions - slightly leaky, very comfortable.
Footjoy Traditions - slightly leaky, very comfortable
Another pair of Adidas S2G purely for summer use.
I now only wear the Footjoys when it's wet, but with Sealskinz socks.
Interesting.

I now tend to stick to FJ Dryjoys. Can't say I've had any issues excepting when I've stood in puddles deeper than the shoe itself. (And yes, our course does get that wet in winter)

D

Deleted member 18121

Seal skinz waterproof socks are the answer you're looking for.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also hate the idea as it seems like giving up to me. Like, is it that hard to find waterproof shoes that are actually waterproof? It reminds me of the time years ago when I was renting a craphole flat, we gave up on the landlord ever fixing the leak in the bathroom ceiling and just starting holding an umbrella when we were sat on the bog.