Gore-Tex shoes for golf

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve had a few rubbish experiences with ‘waterproof’ golf shoes. I’m currently in the market for a new pair, but want them to last at least a couple of winters. I’m now considering buying a pair of gore-tex trail running shoes. Something like these https://www.adidas.co.uk/tracerocker-2.0-gore-tex-trail-running-shoes/GZ8910.html. I trust gore-tex. my jackets in the material have never let me down and one of those is over 5 years old. Question is, would these style of shoes be acceptable on a golf course? The soles don’t look to different to some of the trainer type golf shoes.

RichA

Visit site
I'm on my fifth pair of "waterproof" golf shoes in 2 and a bit years. They've all leaked within a couple of months, even when the only moisture has been dew.
Now I just rotate them while wearing Sealskinz socks. If it's really wet, I wear my old Salomon Gore-Tex trail running shoes, that are still fully waterproof after about 5 years of heavy punishment.
It's a mystery why inserting the word "golf" in the name of a shoe makes a waterproof membrane turn to teabag material.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve had a few rubbish experiences with ‘waterproof’ golf shoes. I’m currently in the market for a new pair, but want them to last at least a couple of winters. I’m now considering buying a pair of gore-tex trail running shoes. Something like these https://www.adidas.co.uk/tracerocker-2.0-gore-tex-trail-running-shoes/GZ8910.html. I trust gore-tex. my jackets in the material have never let me down and one of those is over 5 years old. Question is, would these style of shoes be acceptable on a golf course? The soles don’t look to different to some of the trainer type golf shoes.
Those shoes look fine to me, as in you wouldn't get called up on it. Most golf shoes look like trainers as it is. I'm not sure they have enough grip for winter though, you'd probably want a bit more than that?

I wear Eccos which are Gore-texed, as mentioned above. And they are still spikeless but have a much thicker tread than those Adidas ones so you're not going to slip very often.

The Ecco shoes I’ve seen recently look a bit overstated and not really for me. I was in a pro-shop last week and the ones they had in stock had really bright soles and looked a bit like moon boots.
They have a fair variety though so you can get plain black if you want. I have these ones which obviously come in black as well.

RiderJake

Visit site
This is a great quality shoe, feel free to take it. I'm not advertising, I just run in them.

Hello everyone!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm about to get a pair of FJ Dryjoys back out of the cupboard for the winter.

Might be third or fourth season and still waterproof. But I do use dubbin and Nikwax on them regularly.

Just binned a 3 summer pair of Pro SLs as the uppers were starting to come away from the sole. Mind you, the studs on the bottom were also quite worn

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those shoes look fine to me, as in you wouldn't get called up on it. Most golf shoes look like trainers as it is. I'm not sure they have enough grip for winter though, you'd probably want a bit more than that?

I wear Eccos which are Gore-texed, as mentioned above. And they are still spikeless but have a much thicker tread than those Adidas ones so you're not going to slip very often.

They have a fair variety though so you can get plain black if you want. I have these ones which obviously come in black as well.

woah hold on a second. you have eccos? considering how tight you are how on earth did you justify the most expensive shoe known to man lol

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
woah hold on a second. you have eccos? considering how tight you are how on earth did you justify the most expensive shoe known to man lol
It's funny, I wish I really was tight because then I wouldn't be so poor. I pay for the things I want that are actually worth the money. The last few pairs of winter shoes I had barely lasted one year which I think is scandalous, so I paid £150 for some Eccos that most people say are the best.

RiderJake

Visit site
It's funny, I wish I really was tight because then I wouldn't be so poor. I pay for the things I want that are actually worth the money. The last few pairs of winter shoes I had barely lasted one year which I think is scandalous, so I paid £150 for some Eccos that most people say are the best.
Hell, a lot of companies are making low quality shoes now. They used to be better. You don't consider the possibility of counterfeiting?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I literally bought some eccos for first time in the summer.. managed to pick them up off clubhouse golf for £90 , very comfortable shoe but had to go a size bigger for some reason.

Good to have 2 spikeless pairs to rotate them a bit

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Waste of time buying waterproof golf shoes. As soon as you walk in the rough water soaks into your socks and you get wet feet. Better off buying waterproof socks like sealskinz instead.

☝️ This is the correct answer.

That said. I also have a pair of Nike Shield shoes that are very good at keeping the water out.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Waste of time buying waterproof golf shoes. As soon as you walk in the rough water soaks into your socks and you get wet feet. Better off buying waterproof socks like sealskinz instead.
How often do you need to wash them? Genuine question. If I’m paying £30-£45 for a pair of socks, I’d doubt I’d be buying multiple pairs.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site

That’s a bit more like it. Trainer-wise I’m and Adidas-originals type of guy. Not into outlandish designs etc.