Spiked shoes or Spikeless?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm using Ecco H4 Spikeless.
Ours is a fairly hill course, plenty of raised greens and slopes.
The Hr does have a fairly aggressive spikeless sole but I've not slipped once while wearing them....worn them all winter

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm using Ecco H4 Spikeless.
Ours is a fairly hill course, plenty of raised greens and slopes.
The Hr does have a fairly aggressive spikeless sole but I've not slipped once while wearing them....worn them all winter

I’ve been looking at these. Do they fit true to your normal size? Cheers

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As we begin to move into the golf season proper, come April, I wonder whether spiked or spikeless shoes are most popular and why?

I am going to buy a new pair of shoes and think I will go with spikeless…can’t see an advantage in spiked unless it’s very wet / muddy (and if it is, i will have my old spiked pair as backup)
With the course I play, I doubt I will buy shoes with spikes again.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I got a pair of black Pro SLs for thus winter... I haven't gone spikeless in the winter before. They were absolutely fine and half the weight of the Dryjoys I usually wear.
I really wish I could wear Pro SLs, but they don't fit my feet properly. The heel was really uncomfortable and they rubbed on ankle quite badly too. Shame.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Spikes when muddy, but spikeless the rest of the time. Since moving to Scotland it’s been spikeless all the time, not even getting a splash of mud on my trousers….

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I got plantar fasciitis off my spikes and been spikeless all year around for the last 4 years. The only time I ever have a problem is on courses that should be closed, i’ll slip walking downhill on the muddiest of patches.

FJ pro sl are good but buy some superglue for the soles as the grip part always starts to peel away for me. UA feel really dynamic under foot which is nice. I find FJs alway feel like I’m reliving my school sports day where I forgot my trainers all over again.

D-S

Visit site
I find spikeless better in damp conditions than soft spikes which tend to clog up with grass so you end up walking on a mat of grass. I used to be steel spikes if conditions were really bad and spikeless the rest of the time. Now if I need to wear steel spikes I just don’t play.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Soft spikes when the ground is soft or rain is expected, but when it warms up & the ground hardens I use lightweight bubble shoes.
So much more comfortable on the feet & legs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t have any spiked shoes now. All of my shoes are Ecco spineless, and if the ground is that sloppy wouldn’t play and I know spikes wouldn’t be any better. You definitely notice less spike damage to greens nowadays.

Reactions: D-S

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Spikeless all year even in heavy rain but i don't have the extremes of weather to deal with

pet gripe = spikeless 'tread' wearing down when the shoes' upper is still in great condition. Not much use for them even at the range

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The answers tend to confirm my thoughts…spikeless unless it’s muddy 👍
Basically this for me. I have two pair of Gore-tex Eccos for winter, one spikeless with a thick tread, the other with spikes - but I only wear the spikes if it's been raining recently and the course is very soft. My summer shoes are certainly spikeless as well.