Spikeless Shoes in Winter

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Me too. I have these in two old pairs I use solely for winter golf. I don't like spikeless shoes for winter golf. I never feel I am totally stable and have slipped in the wet with them before which only adds doubt.

I always thought metal spikes weren’t allowed on courses anymore....was that an incorrect assumption?

Mandofred

Visit site
So far, this is my first year spikeless in crap conditions......and so far it's just fine. Now granted.....I don't swing like a crazed violent cocaine taking caveman, so the twisting issues aren't a problem for me. If it becomes an issue....I'll switch back to spikes. But until then.....I'll just take my slow easy swing zzzzzzzzzzzzz huh? did I fall asleep in my backswing again??

sunshine

Visit site
Something perhaps to bear in mind when comparing the two types is that ‘most’ of the time the spike shoes will have equal or worse grip than spikeless. Can’t imagine I’m the only one to notice but soft spikes wear down far more quickly than the ‘tread’ on spikeless shoes does

The ‘better’ grip offered by soft spikes is pretty much gone after a few weeks

I understand what you're saying: soft spikes wear down more quickly than the tread / sole of a spikeless shoe. But to say the grip of spikes is gone after a few weeks is a massive exaggeration. I'm guessing it would take about 100 rounds to wear down the spikes, and then you can replace them if you want.

Unless you play golf on rough asphalt and drag your feet when you walk? I thought you used a buggy all the time anyway so hardly any wear at all?

Personally, given the amount I play it takes about 3 years for my soft spikes to get worn, there's no point replacing them as by this time the water proofing has gone and I'd never wear them in wet conditions when I need the extra grip.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I understand what you're saying: soft spikes wear down more quickly than the tread / sole of a spikeless shoe. But to say the grip of spikes is gone after a few weeks is a massive exaggeration. I'm guessing it would take about 100 rounds to wear down the spikes, and then you can replace them if you want.

Unless you play golf on rough asphalt and drag your feet when you walk? I thought you used a buggy all the time anyway so hardly any wear at all?

Personally, given the amount I play it takes about 3 years for my soft spikes to get worn, there's no point replacing them as by this time the water proofing has gone and I'd never wear them in wet conditions when I need the extra grip.

I'm sure its the way I'm saying it ;)

I'm not suggesting the grip of spikes has gone after a few weeks, i agree that would be stretching things a tad. And I'd happily retract it if its here somewhere?

I'm saying the better grip advantage has pretty much gone after a few weeks of wear: i.e the measurement of grip between the two types (whatever its measured in) has reduced due to faster wear rate of spikes so that after a few weeks they both perform much more equally than they would've when both were straight out the box

F1 commentating legend Murray Walker explains it better than I do :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
I'm sure its the way I'm saying it ;)

I'm not suggesting the grip of spikes has gone after a few weeks, i agree that would be stretching things a tad. And I'd happily retract it if its here somewhere?

I'm saying the better grip advantage has pretty much gone after a few weeks of wear: i.e the measurement of grip between the two types (whatever its measured in) has reduced due to faster wear rate of spikes so that after a few weeks they both perform much more equally than they would've when both were straight out the box

F1 commentating legend Murray Walker explains it better than I do :LOL:

You need to event a gripometer, do some testing and analysis, and then come back to this thread with objective stats backing up your view ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You need to event a gripometer, do some testing and analysis, and then come back to this thread with objective stats backing up your view ;)

I feared as much :LOL:

We'll use KP's word as he coined it first, grippage (originally used in conjunction with monkeys & climbing but we could borrow it to measure units on the gripometer)

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I have nike vapor something and they have fin like grips in a wavy pattern and iv never slipped once in them I have slipped numerous times with spikes tho

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t wear spikes, they offer up localised grip points and when you don’t have ACLs in your knees they can take away that element of foot movement that stops the knees opening up. I don’t have problems in winter, I only play well drained courses and if they are sodden I will happily just go to the range.
I use Ecco Biom shoes, they last me years, but biggest issue is waterproofing.

D

Deleted member 3432

Depends on the course; some are soft spike or spikeless only but I have no idea how many.
We are encouraged to wear metal spikes when its frosty as some of the paths around the teeing areas are quite sloped and can be slippy in the frost.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After golf this afternoon, I heard someone clumping along in metal spikes.
I asked the 2 committee members I was with if metals are still allowed, they said they've now seen studies that suggest they do less damage than people twisting their feet with soft spikes on.

Who knew? ?‍♀️
Think the straight steel spike in soft turf doesn’t offer as higher grip either... but enough to stop slipping over. Be interesting to know whether it impacts distance..

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I played yesterday in my Footjoy SuperLites on a hilly very wet course.

At no point did I even notice any problems with grip. Thinking back, I can’t even recall thinking about it once.