Spikeless Shoes in Winter

sunshine

Visit site
I wear the Inesis shoes, they're fully waterproof and spikeless in the sense that they don't have the large cleats, but the rubber spikes they use are a little longer and pointier than summer shoes, so they don't really feel like spikeless. Grip is good and I often find I've inadvertently picked up a few leaves on the bottom of them. So grippier than you might think. I don't miss not having the circular spoke thingies, and it means they're more comfortable when it's damp but still not that soft underfoot.

Followed that link and saw they do an ankle boot version as well for winter. Look like snow boots but probably a good idea for muddy parkland courses.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wear the Inesis shoes, they're fully waterproof and spikeless in the sense that they don't have the large cleats, but the rubber spikes they use are a little longer and pointier than summer shoes, so they don't really feel like spikeless. Grip is good and I often find I've inadvertently picked up a few leaves on the bottom of them. So grippier than you might think. I don't miss not having the circular spoke thingies, and it means they're more comfortable when it's damp but still not that soft underfoot.

They look very good ... really like the concept of the soles. However, they don’t seem to do a wide fitting ... or extra wide in my case, as I have feet like a duck.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You mentioned slipping several times while playing. Was wondering if you were one of those vertically challenged footballers who spent a lot their time rolling around the floor :p
tenor.gif

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I invested in a set of Ecco Biom spikeless shoes in February this year. They took a surprising amount of walking in, but are now v comfortable and I actually wear them just out and about a lot.

However I have footjoy spikey waterproof shoes and I do still wear these when it's wet. Reason being is that although the Ecco's will stand up to a bit of water they aren't quite in the same league as the footjoys and so with this strategy I'll probably keep both shoes for much longer, especially the Ecco's.

The Ecco's are great for going on an away day or just nipping out for a quick round in the evenings, or going to the range. No need to faff about changing shoes etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Something perhaps to bear in mind when comparing the two types is that ‘most’ of the time the spike shoes will have equal or worse grip than spikeless. Can’t imagine I’m the only one to notice but soft spikes wear down far more quickly than the ‘tread’ on spikeless shoes does

The ‘better’ grip offered by soft spikes is pretty much gone after a few weeks

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Something perhaps to bear in mind when comparing the two types is that ‘most’ of the time the spike shoes will have equal or worse grip than spikeless. Can’t imagine I’m the only one to notice but soft spikes wear down far more quickly than the ‘tread’ on spikeless shoes does

The ‘better’ grip offered by soft spikes is pretty much gone after a few weeks
Then you just replace them. You can’t replace the treads on a spikeless shoe

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sorry but that is just simply not true.

What bit?
I see the wear on my adidas thin-tech soft spikes since I last changed them a few dozen rounds ago, I saw the wear on my ecco streets after 6 years use
Like car tyres, the grip provided by spikes (& spikeless) must reduce through time, starting the day you first wear them

It simply must be true

The only spikeless I found to wear as quick as my adidas spikes was callaway. Adidas spikeless tread outlasted the 'upper' as did the ecco's, UA is looking similarly impressive but too soon to say (your brand of spike may give diff results)

@slowhand, yeah I can & do change them... but they're obviously not free so that should be factored into choice to buy (& you cant change the knobbly bits that wear too)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What bit?
I see the wear on my adidas thin-tech soft spikes since I last changed them a few dozen rounds ago, I saw the wear on my ecco streets after 6 years use
Like car tyres, the grip provided by spikes (& spikeless) must reduce through time, starting the day you first wear them

It simply must be true

The only spikeless I found to wear as quick as my adidas spikes was callaway. Adidas spikeless tread outlasted the 'upper' as did the ecco's, UA is looking similarly impressive but too soon to say (your brand of spike may give diff results)

@slowhand, yeah I can & do change them... but they're obviously not free so that should be factored into choice to buy (& you cant change the knobbly bits that wear too)
Guess it may be so in your sun-dried part of the world bit I don't think I've ever "worn out" a set of softspikes over here...shoes tend to leak or fall apart before the spikes wear out.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Guess it may be so in your sun-dried part of the world bit I don't think I've ever "worn out" a set of softspikes over here...shoes tend to leak or fall apart before the spikes wear out.

Not talking about wearing soft spikes until they're bald just wearing them till they don't provide any noticeable grip over spikeless

I've never taken note but at a guess I'd be changing soft spike grips after a 100 rounds or so, I find they're pretty worn by then

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Not talking about wearing soft spikes until they're bald just wearing them till they don't provide any noticeable grip over spikeless

I've never taken note but at a guess I'd be changing soft spike grips after a 100 rounds or so, I find they're pretty worn by then
I think even this Jewish Yorkshireman can stretch to a new set of spikes every 2 years!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think even this Jewish Yorkshireman can stretch to a new set of spikes every 2 years!

(y)
The point I’m poorly putting over is; given 2 pairs of shoes of the same age/wear, one with soft spikes & one spikeless, which of them will have the better grip… in the weeks before you replace the spikes

All I’m suggesting is that straight out the box I’ll take soft spikes on the muddy leaf covered bank over spikeless all day but I don’t think that advantage stays consistent through their life
After x number of rounds of wear I doubt there is much advantage with either when walking on that bank. After some more rounds I’m actually choosing spikeless for the slower wear rate I’ve experienced… or as you say I'm changing spikes