Spikeless Shoes in Winter

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m in need a new pair of shoes. I have been looking online nad it seems that the majority of golf shoes nowadays are spikeless. Having worn spiked shoes all my golfing life, apart from the height of summed when it’s bone dry, I am unsure about purchasing a pair of spikeless shoes as I don’t know how they’d grip in the wet. Especially as I find the trees quite often, so there will be leaves underfoot.

FootJoys are my preferred brand, as I find they fit me well, but any experiences and recommendations are warmly welcomed

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I've been wearing SL pro through the summer and now using my spieth 3s for the winter. I reckon the SLs could do all year but you'd need to make sure the grips are clear more often.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m in need a new pair of shoes. I have been looking online nad it seems that the majority of golf shoes nowadays are spikeless. Having worn spiked shoes all my golfing life, apart from the height of summed when it’s bone dry, I am unsure about purchasing a pair of spikeless shoes as I don’t know how they’d grip in the wet. Especially as I find the trees quite often, so there will be leaves underfoot.

FootJoys are my preferred brand, as I find they fit me well, but any experiences and recommendations are warmly welcomed
Do you mean 'old fashioned' metal spikes or the plastic 'soft spikes' ?

I wear steel spikes in the winter on hilly courses (to stop skidding downhill) but otherwise 'pimple' soles and have no traction problem.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Really does depend on the course you play..
Fairly flat course ( of any type) and you should be OK with decent spikeless shoes in the wet (Winter or summer)
A fairly hilly course and I'd use spikes every time if its wet.
My spikeless are now out of play until spring unless we get a decent dry spell - but even then you get the dew first thing.
We had a member slip on one of the slopes the other day.
He bemoaned the fact that he was wearing spikeless when his spiked shoes were in the car.
Seems he tore a thigh muscle and could miss a month or 2 of golf....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of years ago one of our members threatened to sue the pro and the club because he stopped selling metal spikes. At the time we had two pretty severe downhill fairways.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find spikeless shoes to be the same as spikes apart from playing on very firm fairways. Spikeless just spread the weight over the whole sole and make grip difficult. At the hight of summer I don't go anywhere near spikeless shoes. I've nearly ended up on my face too many times

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

Spikeless all year run until playing in frost where the metal spikes come out as some of the paths can be very slippery in the ice.

Links turf so spikeless are fine in winter. My old parkland was more or less spikes all year round.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve just reinvested in some Ecco tour hybrids.

The soft spikes on them are substantial and have served me well on all turfs and conditions

As good as plastic spikes imo.

Conversely I have also owned some Skechers spikeless and whilst they were supremely comfortable The spikes were abysmal in even the lightest damp.

They were a few years back though so may have improved

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in spikeless today. Course was very wet, muddy inbetween holes. I had perfect grip throughout. Saying this my course is flat, it could be a different story if it was hilly. That is the key thing the OP has to think about.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think it's more the player rather than the course
Depends how much you transfer weight and turn whether spikes are needed
Many players will be fine with spikeless year round

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen two or three going over in soft pimple shoes where I play in very wet conditions.

I reserve mine for totally dry summer conditions and wear soft spikes in winter and on wet days.

Fairly hilly course but with a lot of undulation on the holes that would be considered flat.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Most of the time I wear spikeless. It’s only when it’s very wet or muddy will my soft spikes come out.

benjo09

Visit site
I've flirted with spikeless shoes over the last few years and have found them great in most conditions even through winter. What I have found is if the course is too sloped, too wet/muddy or too hard (dry or frozen) then grip is greatly reduced. If you're after a pair for year round I would go with spiked but if you're a fair weather golf the spikeless should be fine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I prefer spikes, but it seems there are more spikeless models nowadays than spiked. Another dilemma is, for year round use, would white still be practical?
Yes. Just give them a quick wipe when you get home after playing. I'm not over the top about this, 10-20 seconds in the utility room sink after I get back does the job. I have 2 white pairs and they both look decent still.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play in spikeless all year round, parkland course. Ecco Biom hybrids, which give me execellent traction. The best thing about them, is how easy they clean after you finish your round....the air line blows them clean in a jiffy and miles quicker than the old soft spikes I used to play in.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FJ DNA Soft spikes in winter
FJ Pro SL’s Spring and Autumn
FJ Casuals Summer

All are great for the time of year, Pro SL’s are great but I prefer spikes in winter and by wearing that casuals in summer I get more life out of the Pro SL’s

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our course is pretty hilly so in the summer I'll mainly wear soft spikes, or dimpled soles in really dry conditions. In the winter I've a pair of dryjoys which are fitted with hybrid plastic/metal spikes. It's not so much the traction on the shots, it's the traction on the slopes I consider.