Spikeless Shoes in Winter

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
How waterproof are they, and how easy to keep clean?

Very easy to keep clean as there’s very little to them. And waterproof yes, sure there are pricier shoes that are better but they’re so comfy. I might have odd feet as always struggle with blisters or whatever but played about 50 rounds in these and they’re spot on

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i used to think spikeless were not for winter, but after finding them much better in frosty conditions (they don't ice up like spikes) i havn't worn any of my shoes with spikes in since.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve worn footjoy pro SLs through all seasons the last 2 years. I got them having got plantar faciatis through penetrating spikes on soft soles. I’m wearing stubbed boots as I’ve sprained my ankle twice in 5 weeks so need the extra support. Have to say I love them but definitely was happy with my FJs

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Has anyone ever slipped while wearing spikeless and then had a pretty strong belief they wouldn't have made that same slip in soft spikes?

sunshine

Visit site
A couple of years ago one of our members threatened to sue the pro and the club because he stopped selling metal spikes. At the time we had two pretty severe downhill fairways.

Ridiculous. I can't see how metal spikes provide more grip than plastic "stinger" type spikes.

sunshine

Visit site
I took the plunge last year and wore spikeless all through the winter. No issues. I think it depends on the type of spikeless shoes. Adidas Tour 360 or FJ pro SL have quite prominent moulded tread patterns which give good grip. The Puma treads are essentially like trainers so good for the summer but not sure I would trust them in winter.

To be honest, where it's wet and muddy and people slip on a downslope, I tend to think that is going to happen whatever the footwear.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
These are what I tend to use in the winter. The metal part is handy if the ground is hard and icy.
sachps22t_ex1.600x600.jpg

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever slipped while wearing spikeless and then had a pretty strong belief they wouldn't have made that same slip in soft spikes?

Several times. Particularly on slopes walking off tees. That's why I wear spikes when the ground is wet and not just in winter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear the Inesis shoes, they're fully waterproof and spikeless in the sense that they don't have the large cleats, but the rubber spikes they use are a little longer and pointier than summer shoes, so they don't really feel like spikeless. Grip is good and I often find I've inadvertently picked up a few leaves on the bottom of them. So grippier than you might think. I don't miss not having the circular spoke thingies, and it means they're more comfortable when it's damp but still not that soft underfoot.

Last edited: