Spiked shoes or Spikeless?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to wear steel spikes for special occasion rounds, but quite a few backward looking clubs have banned them.
This for me .
especially now when you can repair spike marks on the green .

I was told by an old pro the spike ban wasn’t about the course but about the damage to the car park, carpets in changing rooms and spike bars. ETC.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spiked ALL year round. Certainly in the winter I don’t have the confidence with spikeless grips, too dangerous.
The other factor is you’re snookered when the grip/tread wear down, it means buying another pair of shoes. At leat with spikes you merely change them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My personal preference is for soft spike shoes.

My main reason is that I find the thicker soles you get with spiked shoes to be more comfortable and absorb the 'shock' from walking better.

sunshine

Visit site
I prefer spikeless, but also have soft spikes which are only really necessary in winter. If I was a member at a links course I think I'd wear spikeless all year.

With spikeless there is a big variation: some shoes e.g. Adidas 360 and Pro SL have more pronounced tread which gives a lot of grip and are suitable all year, others e.g. Puma are essentially trainers and I wouldn't wear them in the wet.

Surprised some people are still wearing metal spikes. Most clubs banned them 20 years ago and there is no question they cut up the green much more than soft spikes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer spikeless, but also have soft spikes which are only really necessary in winter. If I was a member at a links course I think I'd wear spikeless all year.

With spikeless there is a big variation: some shoes e.g. Adidas 360 and Pro SL have more pronounced tread which gives a lot of grip and are suitable all year, others e.g. Puma are essentially trainers and I wouldn't wear them in the wet.

Surprised some people are still wearing metal spikes. Most clubs banned them 20 years ago and there is no question they cut up the green much more than soft spikes.
Where do you even get them from now? Nobody sells these do they?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Pro stinger in the winter, in the other seasons spikeless if totally dry otherwise plastic cleats.
A friend of mine had a bad fall the other week when it was really wet.
Same here, A bloke I know slipped and broke his leg. When he finally got back to golf he had metal spikes in his shoes and swore never to remove them.

On a slight tangent. Many people believe that all Tour Professional wear sort spikes or spikeless, while I'm sure many do just as many are still wearing metal spikes. If you watch enough televised golf you can hear them clanking down cart paths after a wayward shot.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Did nobody ever slip or fall before spikeless shoes?

People need to learn to walk properly for the conditions, and watch where they are walking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same here, A bloke I know slipped and broke his leg. When he finally got back to golf he had metal spikes in his shoes and swore never to remove them.

On a slight tangent. Many people believe that all Tour Professional wear sort spikes or spikeless, while I'm sure many do just as many are still wearing metal spikes. If you watch enough televised golf you can hear them clanking down cart paths after a wayward shot.
There was a popular rumour/story (whatever you want to call it) going round that Tiger is pretty much the only pro who still wears metal spikes.

AAC

Visit site
I still have metal spikes in my leather brogues in fact have just replaced them ! I do use spikeless in the summer but prefer the better grip offered by metal spikes once its a bit wetter.