Spiked shoes or Spikeless?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As we begin to move into the golf season proper, come April, I wonder whether spiked or spikeless shoes are most popular and why?

I am going to buy a new pair of shoes and think I will go with spikeless…can’t see an advantage in spiked unless it’s very wet / muddy (and if it is, i will have my old spiked pair as backup)

Due to having a shot knee, I find if there is any moisture in the ground my left foot slips on transition. Due to this I’ll only wear spikeless on a summers afternoon or when on the range. All other times I’m spiked.

sunshine

Visit site
There was a popular rumour/story (whatever you want to call it) going round that Tiger is pretty much the only pro who still wears metal spikes.

No way, loads still do. At the weekend I heard Justin Thomas crunching into the clubhouse in his metal spikes.

A lot of the more aggressive swingers favour metal spikes.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spikeless all year even in heavy rain but i don't have the extremes of weather to deal with

pet gripe = spikeless 'tread' wearing down when the shoes' upper is still in great condition. Not much use for them even at the range

100%!

My ProSL’s still have very good condition uppers yet the outside ball of the foot on both shoes is almost shot. Considering we are in a renewables and recycle mentality, why are we buying shoes for 1 year max?

My adidas boost spiked are 4 years old and are in better condition than the spikeless, both cost the same.

The manufactures definitely got one over on us here.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No way, loads still do. At the weekend I heard Justin Thomas crunching into the clubhouse in his metal spikes.

A lot of the more aggressive swingers favour metal spikes.
I asked a Yank about this couple of years ago .
he said “ in the US they water the course so much because of the heat lots of players wear metal spikes”
you do need very good waterproof shoes if you play early morning as the course is soaked.