American Golf: Should they offer refund?

ClicketyClick

Visit site
Pair of shoes bought last autumn at local American Golf, lucky to have seen 40 rounds. Now showing very bad signs of wear: Interior lining ripped under left foot toe-end, heel padding/lining worn down & slightly ripped on both shoes, very small chunk of midsole on right shoe has literally disintegrated, the small studs ('spikeless' model shoe) have worn so badly that they might as well not be there... and the worst part is that they're letting in a little water on the left shoe despite the 12 month waterproof guarantee. £80 Under Armour shoe.

Manager of store: Happy to exchange, blah blah blah. Having looked in-store and online, there isn't anything I fancy as a replacement, they've barely anything decent that's both in my size and fits budget. But when asked about a refund... "We're taking care of you, we're offering a replacement, we're looking after you etc". A friend has recently sent a pair of shoes (not same brand) back to clubhouse golf and was offered either a credit note or refund. What is it about American Golf and refunds?! The immediate offer of exchange (manager barely looked at the shoes), to me, indicates that AG acknowledge the fact that the goods are sub-standard and have not lived up to the manufacturer's warranty. Where here might the Consumer Rights Act and/or Statutory Rights come in to play, as I feel I've been treated poorly... I took the shoes away back with me and told the manager I'd have to think about it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think they've done OK for you
Replace or exchange offer seems absolutely fine

There must be 50+ different mens spikeless shoes on their website under £100 to choose from ( I've just been shopping for similar spec shoes) that's a pretty wide selection to pick from even if you had to throw in a tenner or so

You need shoes, they're offering shoes, happy days

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The number of rounds you wear a shoe does not equate to the wear. The lining tends to wear if the shoes are too loose and the foot moves around a bit. The external studs wear depending on how much stress is applied, this could be down to weight of the wearer, scuffing feet as you walk, terrain that you walk on etc. Everyone walks differently, I'm not casting aspersions at you specifically there. The store offering a replacement after 40 rounds and 6 months seems perfectly fine to me. I'd only be expecting a refund if I hadn't worn them and was returning them in a saleable condition.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lucky you didn't use Sports Direct. I have a £100 pair of Skechers that after 7 months, several spikes have broken off, one of the Boa things has a plastic insert that falls out, the material on the toe of one of them has torn. Unfortunately my wife got them from Sports Direct who said the damage isn't covered and told me to jog on.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
After 40 rounds and 8ish months, you're getting a good deal. A few years back I did a brief 18 months in golf retail, the number of chancers, and folks with ridiculous expectations would fear you. One woman took her son's (well worn) adidas shoes back as the lining had started to go at the heel. Yes, they're shoes, you're doing 5 miles + every time you're out, of course they will wear.

Another guy took back a packet of castle tees (yes all £1.50 of them) because they kept breaking :LOL: Cost him more in petrol to return them than get his refund.

Yet another came in ranting cos he'd lost a stud which was our fault as one of the young lads had replaced his spikes, despite the fact it was a customer care gesture as we didn't offer spike replacement. I did suggest he should always check spikes himself in case they were loose. "I've never changed spikes in my life" he says. After some toing and froing I 'agreed' we'd 'replace' them, as I'm ringing the new spikes through the till "you're not charging me for more are you?"...."yes". He left, sans spikes :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After 40 rounds and 8ish months, you're getting a good deal. A few years back I did a brief 18 months in golf retail, the number of chancers, and folks with ridiculous expectations would fear you. One woman took her son's (well worn) adidas shoes back as the lining had started to go at the heel. Yes, they're shoes, you're doing 5 miles + every time you're out, of course they will wear.

Another guy took back a packet of castle tees (yes all £1.50 of them) because they kept breaking :LOL: Cost him more in petrol to return them than get his refund.

Yet another came in ranting cos he'd lost a stud which was our fault as one of the young lads had replaced his spikes, despite the fact it was a customer care gesture as we didn't offer spike replacement. I did suggest he should always check spikes himself in case they were loose. "I've never changed spikes in my life" he says. After some toing and froing I 'agreed' we'd 'replace' them, as I'm ringing the new spikes through the till "you're not charging me for more are you?"...."yes". He left, sans spikes :ROFLMAO:
Just on the top one though, do you think it's unreasonable to expect a pair of shoes to last a year? Golf shoes used to be hard-wearing, whereas nowadays it seems the majority are not. If you were buying a cheap 30-40 quid pair then fair enough, probably 6 months is good going. But shoes approaching £100 not lasting a year is extremely poor in my opinion.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just on the top one though, do you think it's unreasonable to expect a pair of shoes to last a year? Golf shoes used to be hard-wearing, whereas nowadays it seems the majority are not. If you were buying a cheap 30-40 quid pair then fair enough, probably 6 months is good going. But shoes approaching £100 not lasting a year is extremely poor in my opinion.
A lot would depend on how often you played.
I've got 5 year old footjoys at home that are still like new, having only been played in maybe twenty times or so.
Personally, if I wore a pair of shoes for forty rounds I'd be expecting them to look a bit iffy now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot would depend on how often you played.
I've got 5 year old footjoys at home that are still like new, having only been played in maybe twenty times or so.
Personally, if I wore a pair of shoes for forty rounds I'd be expecting them to look a bit iffy now.
I suppose that would make a difference, yeah. I only play once or twice a week though, I don't think it's mad levels of usage. The problem is the shop has no idea I guess. People will say they've only worn them 20 times when they might have worn them 80 times. That's why they'll wash their hands of it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, golf shoes used to be more hard wearing but they were heavy and cut your feet to shreds until they were worn in , usually about 18 months later. Always funny how people look at the good old days through rose tinted glasses :LOL:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Another one to agree with AG here.

Maybe if you had reported the wear when it first appeared the story would be different, but it sounds like you have left it too long. From what you have said I would be very happy with a replacement.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No not at all, it's ridiculous how flimsy some are nowadays, the adidas lady though, a hole had developed the size of a 5p on the inside of the heel, totally normal wear and tear on shoes that had seen a lot of action, but otherwise were in good nick. We exchanged, but deary me.