Spey Valley Golf Course

B

birdieman

Played Spey Valley golf course today. Fabulous track designed by Dave Thomas at Aviemore. In todays cool and damp weather it was playing very long, longest course I've played by some way, par 72 stretching out past 7000 yards. We were 4hrs 15mins with buggies and no-one else in front or behind. Course was surprisingly and pleasantly quiet.
We used buggies (a first for me) which I would say is essential as the course is built in acres of space and journeys from green to next tee are quite long. Great fun they are too!
Course is still bedding in but there is already enough quality to make it very memorable. The championship tag is not wasted here.
It has been a long time since I needed 3 wood and 2 rescue so much for second shots but length combined with cool temps and wind enforced that - took me back to my youth in that regard.
This course will make you feel pretty ordinary as a golfer, from 1 through to 18 it does not ease off and you need your A game with you, I hit some decent shots but got no momentum going and played poorly overall.
Still very enjoyable though and highly recommended.
Some pics and film-

birdieman on 3rd hole
stu3rd.jpg

long par 3
iainpar3tee.jpg

approach to 18
18th.jpg

16th hole par 3
16th.jpg

lochan and green
lochanandgreen-1.jpg

15th hole, tolga putting
15th.jpg

BM at par 3

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Great stuff,we walked it when we played and it was walkable but was a fair hike.Loved it and would love to go back sometime as there are some cracking holes espec in the middle of the round.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking...I heard they are doing deals?

B

birdieman

how long did it take you to get to the middle of nowhere? lol

looks good

In Scottish terms Aviemore is far from the middle of nowhere! I live in the middle of nowhere but it's about an hour ten minutes from me to Aviemore. There's a lot to be said for living in these areas - cheap golf and empty golf courses, pleasant scenic driving to get there etc. Golf up here is not elitist, it's a game for the people.

B

birdieman

I didn't pay anything as some pals have a corporate membership for a year and invited me on. Charging £55 a round I believe, not sure. £15 for buggy hire.

T

thecraw

They are doing a fourball for £200 which is a great price. That to be honest is probably the most I would spend on golf these days unless I really wanted to play somewhere.

If anyone is up for a fourball over the next couple of months then I am more than willing to travel and play it again as I thought it was fabulous.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's photos like picture 3 - with the Lairig in the background - that put me off paying that sort of money for golf. I'd spend my time with my gob hanging open & too busy staring at the scenery to hit a ball. Just like I did at Boat, and at Grantown...

B

birdieman

I would add that you need a couple of rounds here to get familiar with the driving in particular - it is critical to get the ball on the right line off the tee as the fairways are hard and many are sloped but lined with heather on every hole which is very punishing when you end up in it. It's not overly tight but I found myself punished with what I thought were decent drives just by landing on the wrong side of the fairway.
The strokesaver gives distances only, no advice on how to play each hole.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would add that you need a couple of rounds here to get familiar with the driving in particular - it is critical to get the ball on the right line off the tee as the fairways are hard and many are sloped but lined with heather on every hole which is very punishing when you end up in it. It's not overly tight but I found myself punished with what I thought were decent drives just by landing on the wrong side of the fairway.
The strokesaver gives distances only, no advice on how to play each hole.

Thanks Birdieman for posting the write up and the pics, really interesting. Particularly liked the approach to the 18th with the stunning backdrop!

Would be great to see more posts like this imo.

Golfmmad.

holein1

Club Champion
Visit site
Ive been toiling with the idea of taking the old man up there to play as some of my family live close by and never stop banging on about how good it is. And that view onto the 18th green has sold it. Absolutely stunning!